Easiest way to transfer 600-800 songs from Dell Laptop to MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TH55, Aug 20, 2015.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

My mom has an old Dell laptop and wants to transfer her music on it to her MacBook. What is the easiest/cheapest way to do this? She seems to think she needs a hard drive but I told her I didnt think it was necessary. Couldn't you just link the two or get a sandisk flash drive?

2. durruti macrumors regular

durruti

There are lots of ways. Easiest way would likely be flash drive method as you said. 16GB Flash drives are about $5 these days.

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Big enough flash drive would work. Or you can turn on file sharing and copy them over the network either via ethernet or WiFi. Gigabit ethernet would be the fastest option by far. But if that's unavailable WiFi will work. I don't know how "old" the Dell is or what router is being used but I copied some 7,000 songs over WiFi from a Toshiba to my iMac using WiFi (802.11n at 5GHz) and it went fairly quick. If it's going over 802.11g it'll be pretty slow. But will work.

An 8GB flash drive would probably hold that many songs if you don't want to go the network way.

4. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

Just use a flash drive, it's fast, cheap, easy and reliable.

5. AleXXXa macrumors 6502

AleXXXa

USB Stick/Network File Sharing (via cable or Wifi)/Dropbox (or GoogleDrive/Onedrive,etc).

6. tejota1911 macrumors 6502