Easy way to save URL of a link to HD without opening link?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caelum, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Caelum macrumors newbie

I'm hoping to create an automator workflow that will delay downloading URLs that I specify until after a specified time in order to take advantage of my ISP's 120gb Off-Peak download limit upon which I almost never make a more than 5gb impression, while my peak downloads run almost to the (40gb) limit every time.

I don't want to pay for a schedule-capable download manager so please don't suggest that - and I'm yet to find a freeware app that does download scheduling - feel free to suggest one of those if you know of one!

Anyway, I'm going to use automator's 'Download URLs' action and specify that it download all the URLs in a particular folder on my hard drive, where I will (HOPEFULLY) save the URLs of things I want to download off-peak, then schedule iCal to run the workflow at the start of the off-peak session. Sounds good, yes?

I'm now looking for a simple, easy way to copy the links of things I want to download as .weblocs to my HD.

I know that you can drag-and-drop the URL of your open safari page onto your desktop/a folder and it will save as a webloc, but to do that means I have to open the links which will start downloading the file - not what I want. Same with Safari's 'save as' option - it needs the link to be open.

The contextual menu item 'Download linked file as' is close but not quite there. For a link which links directly to, say, a zip file, it simply opens a selection window for the location of the file and then saves it as a zip - it does not give me the option of saving it as a URL.

And, 'copy link' simply copies the text of the link. I could use it to create a text file full of the text of URLs but I wouldn't know how to get them to all be opened separately and downloaded from that.

If I knew how to use applescript I guess I would just try and write a new contextual menu item that did what I want, but I'm no scripter.

Any creative solutions? I get the feeling that I must be overlooking something obvious.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're trying to accomplish (it's late and my brain's tired), but here's an idea. If it doesn't apply, just ignore it. You could create a new bookmark folder and then for each link, just add each link to bookmarks. You'd end up with a folder of bookmarks that you could later "Open in Tabs". I hope that helps.

3. Caelum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion ggjstudios, but I'm not sure that helps.

I need to save the links in a format that automator can open at a time I schedule (My off-peak starts a 3am so I'm unlikely to be awake to open them myself). I can save the links as bookmarks, yes, but there is no automator function to open a folder of Safari bookmarks and the bookmark folders created in Safari are not replicated by a series of folders on my HD accessible by Finder, so I cannot simply tell automator to open a particular folder full of links, because it doesn't exist.

But - thank you for trying to help! I think I may have explained things in a confusing way.