Easy way to sync both lossy and lossless music in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mayari, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mayari macrumors newbie

So, I recently upgraded my iPhone (iPhone SE, rose gold! :D ) and since I previously managed my music and playlists manually, it all got wiped during the upgrade and now I have to put everything back. This time, I really want to just auto-sync everything and save time.

There are several problems with this:

I have roughly 15,000 tracks in my iTunes library (around 170 GB), with half being Apple Lossless and half being 320 kbps mp3. If it was all lossless, it'd be easy to auto-sync with the "convert to lower bitrate" option. As it is, only half the tracks will auto-sync to the iPhone without too much quality loss. I've had to manually manage everything to make sure the lossless tracks get converted and the 320k mp3 tracks don't get reconverted to 256k AAC, and it would take several days for me to get everything transferred right. It would be so much easier if the conversion option was down to 320 kbps, but since it's not...

Is there any easier way for me to manage this? I thought about splitting my library into 2 libraries (one with lossless only and the other with lossy only) and auto-sync both, or use just one library and auto-sync only checked tracks. But these all seem very tedious and time-consuming. Is there a nice alternative to iTunes that allows the bitrate conversion limit to be higher than 256 kbps?

2. ericwn macrumors 65816

Personally I don't know a better app than iTunes for syncing music. I think for automatic syncing you can only have one music library. At the moment when you try to sync a second set of the same content from a different iTunes or user account it will override the syncing settings of the first library. One additional way of sorting large amounts of content is to define some smart playlists in iTunes and sync those. I also have a large collection of lossless music and sometimes let iTunes convert that to 256 kbit/s AAC which is mostly good enough for my ears, at least on the go.