Eating Healthy and Exercise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Huntn, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Zenithal macrumors 603

Which is great, but excess adipose tissue is excess. Not knocking you but generally men do well with keeping it minimal as we age. Excess brings on way too many complications.

2. Huntn thread starter macrumors P6

Huntn

Can you clarify your statement (bolded)? You made me look up adipose (fat). :p Unrelated, at least not a counter to your post, I’ve found that light weight training, a combination of free weights and machines has helped me avoid shoulder injuries when swimming. As I’ve aged I also noted that although I have the energy to swim 60 laps, it has resulted in complications (injuries) so I am currently swimming 40 laps and doing the light weights along with stretching.

3. hawkeye_a macrumors 6502a

hawkeye_a

Hah! Back home 'shrimps' are referred t o as 'prawn meat'!

I'm pretty averse to 'supplements' and such.... not a vegan/fanatic about it, but i prefer meet/fish/vegs. I'm no dietitian, but I think there's a link between collagen and joint & skin health.

I do weight training 5 - 6 days a week..... need to start jogging/running too.

4. Zenithal macrumors 603

Excess body fat is bad whether you're young or older. IIRC the acceptable top of the range at around 70 is 23% but I feel this is too high. In light of your post, anyone who keeps in shape well into their later years tends to, with the exception of hereditary issues, experience a better life with little or no prescription drug use. Excessive fat tissue may lead to complications, can cause problems for your health, and pose a major risk during surgery. Subcutaneous fat, that being under your skin and what's more visible to people should be a respectable amount. Though visceral fat (around your organs) is the more dangerous variety, and with diet and exercise it should go away. Too little fat and your body can't regulate some functions as efficiently as it can, and too much fat and it can also have the same impact.

Likewise, rail thin younger people have an increased risk of bone fracture, joint injury and suffering illness than their fitter counterparts or even those with a more average body. On the opposite end of the scale, those who are severely overweight or obese also have an increased risk of bone injury, general injury, joint and ligament sprains, not to mention the toll it takes on their cardiovascular and endocrine system.

5. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I used to be an ectomorph as a youngster. I had two speeds...full and sleep.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Huntn brought up a point that I have been working on. And that has been focusing on my shoulder exercises and stretching. One thing I think a lot of bodybuilders experience, is impingement in the shoulders with the rotator cuff. And fortunately I have not had any major issues with my shoulder joints with my lifts, but I found out how important it is to make sure you pre-stretch and warm up the shoulders before any type of incline presses or barbell presses

One thing I have been training quite regularly that have been neglected is my rear delts. Quite a few weightlifters have over developed front deltoids, and the rear delts are under developed, and what happens is, when they start pressing a heavier weight, the compression from the weight it puts a lot of stress on the shoulder joint, which then the front delts overcompensate due to the rear delts being under developed, which stresses the rotator cuff.

One Olympia bodybuilder who I notoriously follow, has mentioned that training rear delts almost alleviates 90% of shoulder pain over the course of time, and I found the best way to do that is using a peck deck reverse flies with a low weight/high rep and I also use free weights to Pre-train shoulders before training any chest workouts.

Also, two stretches that I use that I found really work well for pre-workout, is the ‘Hangman stretch’, which essentially you hang from a pull up bar for approximately 7/8 seconds for three sets, and then the ‘Sleeper stretch’, which pull your forearm forward while laying on your side, which will stretch out the muscles in the shoulder and rotator cuff, and it also helps reduce impingement for those who experience it.

Either way, the importance of maintaining your shoulder joints is _so_ crucial, especially for any type of heavy lifting, my theory is, you have to respect your body and know your limits, and I think that’s what really helps me be successful in the gym with my continued bodybuilding training.

7. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

I wouldn’t discourage anyone from stretching but there’s plenty of research available on stretching and it’s benefit in injury prevention and performance.

If anyone is genuinely interested in information based on empirical research I recommend subscribing to the National Strength and Conditioning Journal and Publications. It’ll help separate best known fact from myth.

8. Zenithal, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

Zenithal macrumors 603

Sheldon's work was dismissed over a decade ago. Somatypes aren't really a thing. Energy use by the body varies by people, and people who presume they eat a lot and are thin don't actually eat a lot once their dietary intake is logged for 30-90 days. Whereas fatter individuals who presume they don't eat much in earnest or lying to themselves may not actually eat much in terms of volume, but will consume energy rich food.

Though the inverse is also true. A rail thin individual may go to Five Guys and consume a double cheeseburger with pickles, fries and shake, but won't eat anything the rest of the day except maybe some chips. Later on in the week, they may eat sparingly throughout the day or consume carbonated beverages which can expand the stomach and also hush down the hunger hormone that's released when your body wants food. This is contrary to studies involving mice and soda, but mice aren't an exact science and extrapolating data from mice studies to humans is sketchy.

In short, it isn't a thing. It was once believed to be, but unfortunately the myth has been continued for years. One thing to note about Sheldon was that he was a mere psychologist. Not a psychiatrist or other medical professional, and his types were mere theory.

In the same light you can get an obese individual to change their life and it's very likely with enough work they could spend the rest of their life thin as a rail.

The reason people get out of shape when they're older is due to a lot of internal issues as well as self-input problems. Laziness is one key factor.

If you at 55, I'm assuming, can be as active as a 20 YO while carrying a full time career as you do now, the energy output difference between you two isn't going to be big enough to make a vast difference months down the line. In other words, if both of you are relatively the same in height and weight (and to a point body composition), then both of you would lose the same weight in an 8 month time span, give or take 10 lb.

This is with the same activity levels, the same monitored diet, etc. I got pretty inactive just over a decade ago and my love for Belgian waffles, especially the Liege variety saw me gain weight rapidly and my cholesterol shoot up. These days I'm about as active as I was when I was in my early 20s, and that's before chasing after the kids for hours each day. I'm about as fit as I was then, and I drink less than I did then. Which probably saved my liver looking back on it now.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    Stretching and generally warming your body up before physical exertion is key to preventing injury and actually getting your muscle contracts fired up. There's a wonderful book on body mechanics that focuses on contraction and stretching over time to allow you to do things you didn't think would be possible at a certain age and beyond. I can't remember the title now but it probably came out 20 years ago and it had the name of an animal in its title. It's a very well known book or was when I picked it up.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    It also prevents your shoulders from rolling forward causing undue stress on your spinal column and lower back. It's likely you've seen people at work or civilians while on duty who have that forward rolled shoulder look and they neck droops down and forward before their head starts and they're often very young. That type of poor posture is common as you pointed out but also people who've never stepped inside a fitness center. A lot of it also has to do with using a computer or sitting at a desk all day long which induces various spinal issues, hip issues, the issue I brought up as an extension to what you said, etc.

9. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

10. Relentless Power, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Shoulder rant ahead:

I think one of the biggest mistakes I see in the Gym that is a major contributor to shoulder pain and mistakes, is that I see males that walk into the gym, the first thing they do is walk over to the free weight area, (Where I am at the time) adjust the bench and they grab some of the heaviest dumbbells off the rack and start pressing without stretching or any warm ups whatsoever. They will complete 7/8 repetitions and then grab the next heaviest weight, repeat, ect. Then after a few sets, you can see that they are experiencing pain, because they grab towards the shoulder that is being problematic or nagging them, and then they stop lifting and move onto something else. [Which I have educated a few lifters on impingement stretches that help alleviate pain if I have the chance to talk to them, which you can see that they really appreciate the advice after the fact.]

So what’s my point?

Now, I’m not saying that these guys are not strong, which they are, but it has nothing to do with that and no one cares how strong you anyways, is has everything to do with ‘Ego-lifting’ and poor execution of not Pre-stretching, which makes a huge difference with Pre-stretching. It’s no different then getting ready to run for 5 miles without even taking the time to stretch, and then have a quad or a hamstring pull.

What I like to do, is after pre-stretching/training rear-delts, I always start with a much lower weight to warm up the chest , then I progressively move on to a higher set until I reach my max weight. Not also do I eliminate shoulder pain, but you properly warm up the chest with each set, which is another factor that if you tear a chest muscle, you’re done. (From my understanding, Most tears actually happen on the bench press when you start to heavy.)

Either way, The problem with shoulder pain for the majority, it doesn’t ‘just go away’. Not until you start training shoulders properly over the course of time with muscle maturity, and if you damage the underlying components with the rotator cuff, you may never be able to press again without having shoulder joint pain. It’s really about respecting your body and have ‘instinctive training’, which we all have to learn someway or another, but you have to use common sense well before picking up the heaviest weights.

Working smarter in the gym, will allow you to train harder. Fact.