eBay buyer scam?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TroublingDay, Oct 1, 2012.

1. TroublingDay macrumors newbie

I sold my water damaged iPhone 4S for parts after throwing it in the wash. It was on when it went in and wouldn't turn on three days and one bag of rice later. My BF who works on gadgets said to toss it bc it was fried. I never tried to get it professionally fixed.

Anyway, the buyer said he'd gotten it fixed and the repair people needed my passcode to wipe my phone. Iv'e forgotten my passcode and had to restore my device before, so this was super sketchy. Not to mention I have highly confidential info on the phone. I sent him the Apple instructions to wipe without a passcode and offered him a refund (less return S&H).

He wrote back saying he wants to jailbreak this Sprint phone for use on T-Mo (!). Then he said HE needs the passcode (repair guy is gonezo?), he's getting error code 3194, he won't peek at the confidential info and bc he spent so much money to fix it, a full refund isn't good enough (and he'll sell it on CL). This all seems over the top. I told him that Sprint and T-mo networks aren't compatible, how to fix that error and that the info on my phone is still confidential so he ain't getting my passcode.

Is this a common scam? I can't figure out his angle. Either he's really gotten it to work and is trying to sell/steal my info from the device or its not working and he wants to sell it back to me for more than he bought it for.

Anyone else run into this? It's giving me anxiety!

2. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

I'm not sure why he can't just restore it- but if he can fix it and get it running, he should be able to and just wipe it.

Also, by the way, for the 4S, using a Gevey SIM, he could use it on T-Mobile even if it was a Sprint phone.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

He doesn't need your code. Tell him to just restore it on iTunes.

4. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

I have really no idea, but doesn't the iPhone have a remote-wipe function if FindMyPhone was setup??

5. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I can't say that its a scam or not, but honestly, i don't know why you're dealing with the buyer anymore at all.

You've sold it as "not woking, parts" type thing. He got his item, you got your money.

If he wants to jailbreak it, he doesn't need your passcode. He can wipe it.

If he wants to do a reset on it without being forced to update to the latest ios or something, i don't know what to tell you. thats really not your problem.

I wouldn't even waste anymore of your time with this guy.

edit: and i'm pretty sure that error code has something to do with tiny umbrella and the itunes hosts file. Which has to do with jailbreak and such.

6. TroublingDay thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya he says it turns on... But iTunes won't sync. I don't get it. Although I'm skeptical that it turned on after a date with the washing machine.

Oh yes, I had read about those. I kind of imagined a savvy person like that wouldn't be hitting me up for my passcode twice lol but stranger things have happened. Thanks for your response!

7. ann713 macrumors 6502a

I take it the buyer wants to reset the phone, without updating or losing the jailbreak. That's not your problem!

8. TroublingDay thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't want negative feedback for ignoring the guy or putting the money towards my new phone and having him return it (ya I was dumb and I listed it as 14-day return). Also, I'm probably too paranoid for my own good. I'll leave it be now though. Thanks!

9. faiz23, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012

faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

He is trying to use a gevey sim for CDMA phones like verizon and sprint. You can unlock a CDMA Sprint phone to enable the "GSM" side to use on AT&T and T-mobile. This only works on ios 5.1 or lower and it is recommended to be on 5.0.1 for all functions to work. I am guessing he wants to be a cheap skate and instead of forking over $300-$350 for a clean esn mint condition iphone CDMA that is able to jailbreak / unlock via gevey sim. If he does a full reset it will update to ios 6.0 which is not compatible. This only works on the iphone 4s and not the iphone 4

Tell the buyer to go to h3ll and that you will not release your passcode or information. Tell him you realize he wants to jailbreak and unlock via gevey sim but due to privacy and security reasons for government "TOP SECRET" clearance required and you will not release the code for matter of national security. Try to do a remote wipe on the device if you had any sort of tracking software installed.

10. TroublingDay thread starter macrumors newbie

It shows up on my list of devices, but there isn't a green dot. I had my other 4S stolen this year (bad luck) and Sprint said once I activated my new one, I wouldn't be able to "see" the old one.

11. matttye macrumors 601

You can comment on any negative feedback left. You could just say "Sold this water damaged phone for parts, buyer received item but subsequently repeatedly asked for my passcode, which I was not willing to disclose."

Job done, I'd still buy from you :p

12. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

For me the iPhone and iPad show up. I could now wipe them....

https://www.icloud.com/#find

The other side has to get them online though. Maybe they need a open Wifi for that....

13. TroublingDay thread starter macrumors newbie

Ill do just that if this goes sour. Thank you!

14. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

You can have the feedback reversed without much trouble. I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, and every once in a while i get a couple malicious buyers that try to pull one over on me.

You could always contact ebay and alert them of what you think is a potential problematic transaction.

As long as you listed it in the the "as is, parts, non working" category, and described it as such, you're not liable for what he does with it after. And you're definitely not obligated to help or aid him with any endeavors he attempts with fixing the phone.

Not to mention the line he's feeding you smells like total BS.

15. TroublingDay thread starter macrumors newbie

Seriously the most awesome and helpful forum! Thanks! I'll be sure to tell him to pound sand if he bugs me for my passcode again. :).

16. TroublingDay thread starter macrumors newbie

I have gotten the impression sellers can get screwed easily on feedback and sales bc eBay usually sides with buyers, so that's a relief and great to hear. It was listed as "as-is"/"for parts" and I made sure to incl I couldn't guarantee that it'd ever work. Well, now I can finally get to bed!

Thanks to everyone who offered advice! I really appreciate it :).