eBay Help: Sold MacBook Air and Buyer Wants Shipment to Africa

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jason.siegel, Nov 7, 2016.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

Hi all. I am a first-time eBay seller, and a buyer just "purchased" my used MacBook Air. He then texted me to work out payment. While we were discussing PayPal, he said that he wants me to send the computer to his brother in Africa. Although I understand that PayPal has seller protection, I'm unsure how this may work with international shipping -- especially to a place that has poor infrastructure in many countries. I believe my listing also said shipping to the US only. Does anyone have any experience with this, and can you provide advice about what to do? Is it a scam?

Update: The brother is supposedly celebrating his birthday in just 4 days.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Scam, scam, scam. 100%. 1000%.

Avoid like the plague. Speak with eBay support if necessary. Relist and say local shipping only.

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Scam

Your only protected if you send to the confirmed PayPal address. That is a technical term PayPal uses. Also only communicate through eBay messages.

I would refuse service as he is asking you to violate eBay policies potentially.

Did you limit the places it could be purchased from? Only US?

4. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

This is a common scam. Since you stated in your listing that you would only ship to the US, remind your buyer of that through the eBay contact method, so both you and they have a record of any conversations. If he doesn't give you a legit US address, inform eBay.

I'd ask eBay for permission to relist. If this guy does have a PayPal address, chances are he's jacked somebody else's account that's tied to their credit card. Ripoff all around.

5. jason.siegel, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

jason.siegel thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

An absolute scam; don't touch with the proverbial bargepole.

7. belvdr macrumors 603

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I agree with everyone above. Message buyer via ebay and remind them that the listed said US shipping only. Insist on shipping only to Confirmed Address (this means that PayPal verified this address against the buyer's credit card billing address). If not, offer to cancel the auction and relist.

Next time you list, ensure that that the auction settings do indeed specifically limit shipping to just the US. No worldwide option or anything. (However I usually also add Canada as an option, to increase potential market). I also set it to now allow bids from anyone with recent strikes.

9. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Limit worldwide shipping and include a Buy It Now price if possible. I have certainly been in similar situations before.

10. jetlagged macrumors 6502

request to cancel the eBay transaction and tell the buyer they you don't send items outside the USA. Whatever you do, don't relist your MBA again until this issue has been resolved. Put in a request to cancel this transaction, the buyer should accept it, if not, file a dispute with eBay, and they will notify the buyer that he has a set amount of time to respond to the request. If the buyer doesn't respond, the transaction will be cancelled and you won't get dinged with the eBay seller fee which is roughly 10%.

More info can be found on eBay's seller forum.

It's happened to me before. But now I make sure to only list my items to sell within the lower 48 states, and exclude any foreign countries. It's more convenient for me.

11. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I used to sell to other countries, mostly Canada, but not any more. I was never scammed, but there are extra hassles involved like having to fill out the customs form or not being able to use electronic postage, forcing me to go to the post office during business hours.

Then after all that, the buyer complains that I didn't disclose the terrible duties/tariffs that their country imposes in customs, as if that's somehow my fault what their country does, or as if I'm supposed to pay the duty because I'm the one who shipped it.

Even worse are the buyers who do know about their expensive import duties, and after they win the auction they insist that I commit fraud on the customs form by indicating that the contents are a gift of little to no value (or they won't pay). In fact I saw certain members on this board do this exact thing--complaining about MacVidCards (a former vendor here) being unwilling to lie on the customs form for shipments to their country.

There's a certain irony in expecting a seller to be straightforward and honest with you, and yet also expecting the seller to be willing to commit fraud on your behalf.

12. Fozzybadfeet macrumors 6502

Fozzybadfeet

Sounds like a scam.

I only sell within the U.S.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, this is a complete scam.

14. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Has the buyer paid yet?

If he/she has paid you, simply refund the payment and relist the item. Also block their ebay ID so he won't be able to bid on your items in the future.

If he hasn't paid yet, start a cancel transaction stating that you don't ship outside US.