Ebay-ing MbP parts that have been manually switched for an Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vanbarman, Jan 22, 2008.

1. vanbarman macrumors newbie

Sort of a weird question. I can buy a MbP at Futureshop for $200 less than the usual price of $2199.

However, Futureshop doesn't allow any customization of the machine. So it would be coming with 120GB 5400rpm HD whereas I want a 7200rpm.

It's coming with 2gb of RAM (2 x 1GB dimms), whereas I will upgrade that myself to 4GB (definitely not paying Apple $700 for their 'house ram')

My question then is...is there a market for these type of components on ebay? Either for do-it-your-selfers, parts-hounds, or just someone looking to upgrade the gear on a laptop of any kind? (ie. are these hardware components universal?)

It may just be easier to order the actual machine from the Apple store the way I want it, but would drive the price higher. If I can't unload these components though, then I'd be even worse off.

Anyone with any experience doing this?

Also, does the act of HD or RAM removal void my warranty?

Thanks for any thoughts,

vanbarman

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Don't know about the residual value of the parts (not much, probably), but the RAM is user-replaceable. HDD replacements on your own will void the warranty if you break something. Otherwise, you're fine.

3. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You could sell them if you want, but if you ever need a repair, you should keep them so Apple doesn't suspect anything. Besides, they aren't responsible for those things.