EBAY. Questions from NEW seller point of view

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Chris Rogers, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

So I am in the process of getting rid of my HP Laptop in time for the NEW/current MBP. Craigslist was unsuccessful due to scammers, so I tried EBAY. I guess since this is the first item I'm selling with no type of feedback no one was really interested.

Anyway, i'm not too familiar with the scams on EBAY or if there are any but the winning bidder wants me to ship to Nigeria. Now in the item description I specifically said i will ship to the US only.

Could I get negative feedback for not shipping? Or am I even at risk? I looked and saw that he/she is no where near a power seller, they only have 4 bids on 4 items with NO feedback let alone positive. This person literally bid at the last minute too, I don't know if that counts for anything.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Okay that's a scam. Report it to ebay and they'll refund your fees.

If you send it to Nigeria, you'll never see you computer or money again!

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Nigeria=scam

You probably won't get negative feedback from the guy, but I'd rather have the neg FB then be out some money

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There is a place in the listing definition to specify clearly where you will ship to. I believe the default is US, or maybe US and Canada. You are not obligated to ship to someone outside your designated shipping area. I would email the buyer and ask them to retract the bid; if they refuse, report them. (I say that to be sure to protect your feedback rating.)

5. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

WOW, you guys are QUICK AND HELPFUL

Thanks! Now how do I report it to EBAY? Do I just say "hey this looks suspicious?"

6. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Since this is a newbie to ebay, you should assume that maybe this person honestly did not realize that you would not ship to his location. Email the buyer first of all and get their permission to retract the bid. (I'm trying to remember how to retract bids, but I think it's pretty straight forward. If you do this and can't figure it out, just post here again, and we'll help you out. My internet connection is a little less that high speed right now, for another day or so.:eek:)

7. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

I contacted them, waiting will be the difficult part :(

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just report them for a fraudulent bid.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I agree with you that it can be reported as a fraudulent bid, but I would take the "innocent until proven guilty" approach. Give people the benefit of the doubt unless you feel for sure that they are attempting to rip you off. IMHO

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I usually give people a chance, but there are warnings about Nigerian scams, so I don't think the scammer should get any more chances to scam another person.

11. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Point well taken; seller beware! and, let us know how it works out for you.

12. Chris Rogers thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

EBAY caught it! :D

Now I have to re-list :/ he/she was my only buyer