eBay scam? Why did someone in U.S. just bid 890 dollars for my unlocked new iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SHNXX, Aug 10, 2015.

1. SHNXX macrumors 68000

I have an iPhone that was never opened because I got it for some work promotion but didn't get to do the promotion.
    It's still under warranty and in original plastic wrapping so I put it up on eBay expecting maybe like 50 dollars below retail (650 or so since tax puts it over 700).

But someone just won the auction at about 880 dollars

What's going on?
    Am I missing on a scam that involves an eBay purchase at a price higher than retail?

2. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

They could claim that you shipped an empty and demand for a refund...

3. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

How do I protect myself against buyers scamming you?
    In the past I've never really had many problems selling stuff on ebay but it seems like these days there are a lot of trashy buyers who won't pay.

The guy messaged me saying that he wants to pay only $600.
    I guess these people are just taking advantage of the fact that eBay goes out of their ways to protect buyers even if they're scammers.

Is there a better place to sell my un-used iPhone than eBay?

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

They're probably not going to pay. Cancel the auction and relist with a Buy it Now "immediate payment required".

5. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

I canceled the last auction because the buyer didn't pay and the case is still pending with ebay's invoice still active.
    It seems like eBay has really deteriorated as a marketplace.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Swappa. Sold all my iphones on swappa, no problems....yet

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yeah that's why on eBay I always use buy it now with immediate payment. Very rarely do those scam accounts buy an item where they're forced to pay immediately at checkout. With auctions you're probably going to go through several non paying bidders before selling to a real buyer.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good luck.
    There's tons of scammers when it comes to iphones and such desirable electronics on eBay.
    The tricks are countless. Or maybe you'll get lucky and he will just never pay. He got 0 buying history by any chance?

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

10. noles1983 macrumors regular

ebay is the suck. Even swappa is sketchy for buying at least. They report the phone stolen after they sell it, happened to me. I will never buy used online again. Too many little ******* scammers.

11. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

Swappa seems like the best option for selling phones, unless you sell to family members. Currently looking to sell one of my phones (2014 Moto X Pure Edition) on Swappa because it seems much more simple and secure to use them. Need to fund my iPhone 6s Plus somehow right ;)

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Ebay has gone into the toilet. May not sell for as much but Craig's list is what I use now. No eBay or PayPal fees and less risk.

13. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

Just serial killers, that's it. Lol
    Only kidding. Craigslist is much better than getting scammed on eBay. I will only buy things, and even then I buy them very carefully. Craigslist has a lot of low ballers but it's easy to just meet at your convenience.
    Buying or selling anything used has risks, just gotta be smart.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I have over 700 great eBay sales over the years but when it comes to something like a new iPhone 6 the thieves will be all over it. I just grew away from eBay as the buyers seem to be more and more shady. CL works good as I email them a few times to get a feel for them being serious. I do not reply to the low ball people and you are right, there are many out there. This means times are desperate for some.

15. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Have you even considered the Marketplace here on MacRumors? I have done several deals there and had no issues. Both buying and selling. Members are decent to deal with.

Ebay is for the birds these days. Depending on what you sell. You are overcharged in fees, you deal with buyers that are just awful these days and Ebay will back the buyer even if they are a scammer. Getting harder and harder to sell this kind of thing on Ebay due to the BS buyers.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Excellent idea and I will give it a try next time. Just checked out the marketplace and seems like lots of interest.

17. Broadus macrumors 6502a

There really is nothing foolproof. I wasn't aware that there is a marketplace here, and a little research reveals that one has to have posted 250 times for it to be visible. I mostly read and rarely post, so I guess I need to change that.

18. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Gazelle is the way to go.

No ebay scammers and no need to carry a gun to meet up with some drugged up teenager from craigslist.

19. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

Unless you sell tons of stuff ebay could give 2 ***** about regular sellers. They favor the buyer even when you show evidence. Beware and take the auction down.

20. SHNXX thread starter macrumors 68000

thanks for the advice guys.
    the guy actually paid me but I'm going to try to refund him.

21. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

This is true. But be warned with this marketplace, people low ball the heck out of you. Had basically a sealed iPhone 6 Verizon in plastic 64gb. People in here were offering 400$ lol. Put it on swappa for 610 and it sold in 5 minutes.

22. Broadus macrumors 6502a

The buyer paid you the $880? What kind of feedback does he have?

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's jerks like this who ruin it for everyone. I've been on eBay since late 2009 and have always gone there like I would a brick and mortar store. If you don't have the ability to pay, and right then, with either cash (PayPal) or credit - don't shop. Otherwise you are just scamming the seller.

If I walked out of Walmart or Fry's Electronics or the Apple store with some vague promise of "I'll pay in 5 days or so" I would be arrested for shoplifting. It amazes me that buyers don't see this and think they can just steal.

For me, it doesn't matter whether it's an auction, buy now, or buy now/pay immediately. I have the money in my bank account so when Paypal goes through it's there. And I pay immediately after I buy something. If I don't have the cash in my bank account for Paypal, I don't buy. In the last six years I have never received negative feedback from any buyer because when the buyer shipped, my item was paid for and the money was in their PayPal account.

I understand there are other options, so I'm not knocking legitimate buyers here who utilize those options. I'm speaking only to the cheaters out there who think they can shop for free items.

24. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

It's a scam. This is why I stopped selling my old iOS devices on eBay. I only use Swappa now. I still use eBay from time to time to sell camera gear I don't use anymore.

25. jtaylor673 macrumors newbie

Yes. I had this same problem with scammers when I listed my old iphone 4 a couple months ago. I did some research on the internet and found some suggestions. Such as the buy it now option, and requiring buyers to have a certain amount of history, etc. Good Luck.