Ebola in the US

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

[rant]

Nothing personal Huntn, but: news flash- Ebola running rampant in West Africa. We can choose to devote resources to stopping it there*, or we can wait for the damn virus to mutate in Africa to the point that simple measures won't stop it. I know people are concerned about the spread of the virus in the West, but honestly in our medical systems we have a much lower chance of getting the virus and a much higher chance of survival. Ebola might be deadly, but then again matters aren't helped in Africa by the lack of proper hospital facilities, poor hygiene, illiteracy, and poverty. I wonder when the wealthy and powerful will come to understand that we are all connected in one way or another.

*Where are those US hospital ships? You know, the two that we have in comparison to our 11 nuclear aircraft carriers.

[/rant]

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It seems very strange that, despite all of the precautions taken, that this worker should have contracted the disease.

I do note that the news reports say "preliminary" tests. Which suggests, to me, that there are other - perhaps more definitive tests available, which may require equipment not necessarily available at the State Public Health Lab.

I'm not saying she doesn't have the disease, or that we shouldn't be concerned about it. Its just that there is the possibility that they may be acting out of an abundance of caution in this case.

From the New York Times

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Dime against a doughnut that the health worker scratched their noise under their mask or de-gowned improperly, which might have happened to the nurse in Spain. I am not a physician, but occasionally I am involved in surgery for the purposes of animal research. The temptation to break sterile precautions due to an itch, overheating, etc. can sometimes cause people to react without thinking.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay, either we have a virus that is more easily transmitted than we're being told, or there were lax policies or procedures in that Dallas hospital.

From the CNN article ...

His second visit. They KNEW he had Ebola. They had to be prepared.

So either this is gross misconduct on the part of the hospital or nurse, or a lie, or misreporting.

Or maybe we're just ****ed.

----------

But what did they have on their hand that transmitted the virus?

Feces? No hand is going under the mask with feces. Blood? Mucus? Again, how absent-minded do you have to be to stick a bloody, mucusy finger under your mask ... when you know you're dealing with an Ebola patient?

6. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

With the way our governments appear to be looking at Ebola like its a week long craze, I'm going to put my tinfoil hat on and say this was planned. Population control. ;)

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I know.

As far as erradicating Ebola in Africa I don't see a realistic means of accomplishing this. It would require a wholesale rebuilding of their cities, sanitary, and health systems. We can't even get people to sign on (with $$) to helping our own poor, much less " feriners living in cess pools". This is not an argument for reasons not to help. We should help but I don't believe it will be enough to eradicate Ebola, and many of us won't care until the perception is we are directly threatened. And btw, Ebola is going to evole whether we fight it or not.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

This makes absolutely no sense at all. You would think that if anyone had contracted ebola, it would have been during his first visit to the hospital. This nurse certainly has some explaining to do and if she was following protocol, then the medical community clearly doesn't have a good grasp on how this virus is spread.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I heard some statements that sound like covering up the fopaws. I just hope that if mistakes were made, although a huge blow to their all ready tattered reputation, that The Texan Presbyterian Hospital is honest enough to admit them. There are protocols, it's not a superVirus, if those protocols are followed, this should not have happened.

10. NightGeometry macrumors regular

I was wondering wtf a fopaw was, presumably some South USA phrase. The I realised :)

11. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

If the protocols can break down on the first case, when you'ld expect folks to be at their most vigilant and under the least workload (one patient to deal with) then it doesn't auger well for maintaining them in a situation where they have multiple patients, are fatigued from an ongoing workload etc.

Sure its not a weakness in the protocols themselves its a human factor etc.

But that's cold comfort if the assessments of western countries readiness to deal with an influx of infected folks from abroad, subsequently turn out to have underestimated the human factor in those perfect protocols.

12. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Have I ever told you all that one of my lifelong dreams is to go to a really nice French restaurant, and order all my food phonetically?

"HEY! GARKON! Comere! I want this escargut for my horse doovers, and..AH! I see the soup doojer is a Vishy-soise! Hell, that sounds tasty! Throw some kwi-chee on the side, if you don't mind. For desert, I'll take the Cremy Broolee, and a caf-ee leegeoyse. And what's the wine of the day? A chat-ooh bored ox? That sounds good!"

13. Huntn, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Hopefully you don't run into a gun toting French waiter... ;)

With powdered sugar? :)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I think it was asinine that we brought infected people here in the first place

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I'm more worried about the subtle, scathing retort. The French try to wound you with words first and foremost, and only go for the kill if they don't think you've been insulted enough.

----------

Down here, we call fopaws a ****-up at a git-togetherin'.

16. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Today's word is :

Faux Pas.

My guess is the nurse did something wrong then tried to cover it up.

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The two infected people we brought here have recovered without infecting anybody else. This guy either didn't know he had Ebola or lied about it and came here on his own free will.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

I vaguely remember reading that he came here for a wedding, but lied about having any recent contact with anyone suffering from ebola.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

They were also doctors and most likely had a immunity to begin with. Plus they were transported in ziplock bags to help contain more germs.

The dude in Dallas didn't have the early treatment and supposedly was released from the ER with a high fever the first time.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Isolate Texas.

----------

EXACTLY. why risk spreading it around?
    Isolate Texas, at least perry:D

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sadly, a passable imitation of some real life interactions I have heard...

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Brilliant idea. :)

23. AX338 macrumors regular

AX338

Can Ebola be passed on just by touching yourself?...I haven't a clue how it works to be honest...I thought if you touched someone with Ebola and then licked your finger then fair enough....but if you just scratch an itch and are clearly not breaking your skin etc then why would that transmit inside of you?...or are there billions of invisible germs building up and swarming all over your face and going inside your nose and mouth without you noticing?...

Sounds scary.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

This is why I dislike the CDC and other people using the term "fluids"..

It makes people not realize sweat is a fluid. Sweating is one of the hallmarks of Ebola.

The media and CDC should stop using that term or add the term "sweat".