EBT benefit card glitch sparks Walmart shopping sprees in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Oct 19, 2013.

1. MacNut, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2013

MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162...-sparks-walmart-shopping-sprees-in-louisiana/

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Is this a new "glitch" experience by Zexox? Or the same "glitch" from last Saturday?

There were reports of a widespread shutdown of the EBT System last Saturday (Oct. 12) caused by "a routine test of backup systems".

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

This is what happened last week, just didn't get around to posting it.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

This reminds me of those crazy people that "abuse" coupons. :rolleyes:

I just hope these people at least have clean houses, because I bet most of it is going in garages and cabinets. Shelf stable doesn't mean stuff still can't get ruined anyway. Should have just gotten enough to eat for a month and leave the rest.

5. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Ok, thanks. I hadn't hear about this particular "event", but thought I remember hearing about the near-nationwide meltdown of the system, which was easily found online.

If the cards didn't show any balance or any kind of limit, I'm assuming that each Walmart cashier was doing a manual override to authorize each transaction then? If so, that sounds like a bizarre way of dealing with the problem.

6. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

To my knowledge, registers don't see limits, and only report when they hit them. So walmarts choices were:

1) work to stop it and sell less
    2) don't stop it and sell more

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really? Using coupons within stores rules to maximize your savings is the same as stealing food. Mmmmkay.

8. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

9. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I don't think that this is a particularly strange behaviour. People who need food stamps are at the bottom of the food chain, and therefore feel disinfanchized with society in general. If for any reason they see freebies they will take them, as they feel that society has screwed them over enough.

This behaviour would happen anywhere.

10. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who gets the check for this? Tax payers or Xerox?

Can you deduct this from future benefits payments?

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

My vote goes to Xerox to front the money that was over the cards' limit to be paid back over time by the individuals who did this to their account.

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

It was Walmart's decision to accept EBT cards when the system was down. They weren't obligated to, and I'm my area, no other store made that decision. IMO, they have some accountability for having made that decision.

My vote is that if it's possible, "overdraft" the accounts of the people who did this (by the amount of food they purchased) and let their subsequent benefit deposits go towards paying that off.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Also as for this being a natural human reaction, I find the excuse to be repulsive. Tax payers try to give you a leg up and you **** all over them. Nice way to further the sentiment that benefits should be further limited.

14. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Because the free enterprise system never screws up, right?

If (already overweight) American diners can't stop gorging themselves after the second or third plate of crab legs - it seems somewhat unrealistic to expect EBT recipients to suddenly become models of fiscal restraint and austerity.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Are you seriously comparing people who took advantage of an ill-conceived promotion where a business lost money to people knowingly stealing food?

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you want to see shoppers in a frenzy, just look at the typical Black Friday.

We've known for years that merely putting items on sale can induce mob behavior.

Should anybody be surprised when the products are free?

17. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Yes I am.

Its basic human nature to take advantage of an opportunity to get something for "free."

I'm not excusing the people who loaded up their shopping carts, knowing that they lacked sufficient EBT credit to rightfully buy it.

But at least some of the fault goes to Wal-Mart for not recognizing there was a problem and taking steps to control it. Why couldn't the store manager limit EBT purchases to $50 or $100 per recipient until the data system was back on line?

People also need to recognize that the people who DID leave the store with hundreds of dollars of food beyond what their EBT card had credit for will not, in all likelihood, "get away with it." Both Wal-Mart and the Government know how much was charged to those EBT cards, and recipients may very well find their future benefits decreased.

Mob behavior is never very pretty. But I do hope people are not using this incident as an excuse to do away with a program that a) overall operates very efficiently and with minimal fraud and b) provides a valuable food lifeline for some of America's most vulnerable and needy people.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They didn't take advantage of an opportunity to get something for free. They STOLE items.

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The products were not free, and black friday is somewhat controlled chaos. Stores know damn well what they are doing when they put the crap items up for sale for cheap at 4 am.

This is pure theft, people saw that the systems were down so they cleared out the store.

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

While that is true they were stealing, as I wrote before People who need food stamps are at the bottom of the food chain, and therefore feel disinfanchized with society in general. This gives many people in that position, a "I don't give a **** attitude, you don't like me, well I don't **** care.

You will see this type of behaviour everywhere.
    Please also note I am not condoning this behaviour, but to act like it came as a surprise is quite frankly unbelievable.

21. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

How can these people demand respect when they willingly steal. It's not the governments fault that they made and continue to make bad decisions.

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That is a question to be answered another day.

What I was saying was who ever thought that not closing the check outs, should have seen this coming.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Wal-Mart did recognize there was a problem, they just decided they would make more money if they let people buy whatever they wanted since the government would pay for it. From the article

I'd say a lot of the blame goes to Wal-Mart since they could have said to wait for it to start working again as it would seem most businesses did. Obviously some of the blame goes to the people who were taking advantage of this as well, but I'd say more goes to Wal-Mart.

24. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Was everyone in the store using an EBT card? No reason to shut down the store when you don't expect people to start stealing. And when they do start clearing the shelves how do you tell people to stop?

25. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Like you posted before there been problems with the cards before, they could have said they were not excepting the cards while there was a glitch.