Economic Promises a President Trump Could and Couldn't Keep

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, May 23, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/b...a-president-trump-could-and-couldnt-keep.html

In other words, does it matter who wins in 2016?

Or in previous years?

Even WND pointed it out:

[​IMG]
    http://www.wnd.com/files/2016/03/0321econ5.jpg

Despite big insurance lobbyists and Romney helping make Obamacare, the graph still shows no deviation in terms of costs.

Remember,

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...eycare-and-obamacare-can-you-tell-difference/

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ly-admits-that-obamacare-came-from-romneycare

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The president really has little control over the economy; however, he does have the bully pulpit. He/She can ask Americans to consider why we send millions of jobs overseas or why Americans are dying for sh*thole nations that won't even defend themselves or why we pay over half of the NATO budget while European countries cut their defense spending. Just getting Americans to ask "why?" could be a powerful tool.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I agree with you on all those points. But on that specific one I quoted, Trump had the possibility to not just ask the question, but to lead by example. So maybe Trump should have asked himself that question when he made the decision to manufacture his own products overseas.

4. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

The answer to that question would be "because profit". Which trumps all.

5. aaronvan, May 23, 2016
    Last edited: May 23, 2016

aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

What does Trump manufacture? He's a real estate guy. Any crap with his name on it is merely branded crap with his name stitched on. Yea, I'd like if his "Make America Great Again" hats were made in America. But that's small beer next to the entire factories that Clinton sent to Mexico with NAFTA or the hundreds of thousands of working-class Americans who lost their homes thanks to the mortgage crisis directly attributable to Clinton repealing Glass-Steagall.

6. FieldingMellish Suspended

Trump as citizen and businessman does what everyone else does. Buy from China with resignation, knowing the damage that's been done to America by those formerly in power. But given a chance, Trump will correct those wrongs as Commander in Chief, electing to work on the large problems affecting the most Americans.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The president has the power of appointments. Foreign policy, Supreme Court, Federal Reserve Bank. Policies, judicial decisions and monetary policy have direct effects on the economy.

For me, in this particular election, my own litmus test has to do with foreign policy. I would like to see a change away from our incitement toward war with Russia. Trump has raised questions on foreign policy which are ignored in the media and bad-mouthed by Hillary's people. https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/05/john-v-walsh/speak-reasonably-russia-putin/

Hillary is happily in bed with the war-toy folks and the Banksters, all of whom make tons of money from preparation for war. Trouble is, we're jerking the chain of folks with nukes.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

since the donald would benefit from not making the economy better from his own words.

9. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

What a weak sauce excuse. If Trump is this "great" businessman and really beleive in "Making America Great Again" he wouldn't have ever been a contributor to the problem. It's all smoke and mirrors and you fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

Particularly with his upscale brand. He could afford to make his ties in the USA and pay people good wages. Instead, as usual, Trump was looking out for the only thing he really cares about: himself.

That's not being a leader. Not leading by example. That's just being selfish and greedy.

10. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

right do as trump says not as trump does got it.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Trump has numerous business successes which are not associated with real estate nor buying from China. I was surprised to learn of his roles in various forms of entertainment, for one thing. All I'd ever read about in the news was about his bankruptcies in some of his real estate ventures--which are very much out-weighed by his successes.

Regardless, his successes or losses haven't affected my standard of living. I'm happy for anybody to get rich, so long as the endeavor is legal and doesn't screw over Joe Sixpack.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yet. Just wait until he takes office!

13. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Self-defense against government harm to my billfold has long been far more important to me than any self-defense of my person via firearm. So far, so good. I've survived Carter and the post-Reagan efforts.

The Trumpster is the only would-be whose ideas would most likely avoid war. War is bad for billfolds, among other things.

14. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You really think having a temperamental "counterpuncher" in office will lead to more peace? How do you figure that? First he clearly wants a stepped up presence against ISIS. That's war. Then he wants to go after families of terrorist and be a terrorist himself by killing them. Setting the stage for more hostility in the future. If Trump takes office, the effect of his Presidency will linger far past his four or eight year term. And so will the damage.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

just like Obamas damage?

16. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Absolutely! Both good and bad things. Just like we are still dealing with both good and bad of Reagan even. And will be dealing with the legacy of Dubya for many many decades. President's legacies last a lot longer than people stop to realize. Not just in Supreme Court picks, but foreign and economic policy.

I can't even begin to imagine the ill will that the United States will have to deal with after a narssistic, xenophobic, arrogant bully has gotten his hands on things and what kind of wreck he will leave the economy in should he engage in the trade wars that he seems to think are no big deal.