Economics basics mp3?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eclipse, Aug 5, 2007.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

hi
    anyone got a free podcast for learning the basics of economics? I'd love a 20 part 101 of "Introduction to Electronics" so to speak. I want a funny, entertaining, chatty layman's introduction to the DISMAL SCIENCE please! :p

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Just remember that you'll never see a one-armed economist. He can't say, "On the other hand..."

And remember that in the long run, we'll all be dead.

Hey, good luck in your search.

'Rat

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

It is really not a dismal science. Get a 'books on tape'; The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith. Sure, it is dry, but the subject is until you get your brain working at it. There is a very beneficial component. No one really have the definitive answer. You may become the 'Einstein of Economics'.

4. Desertrat macrumors newbie

An Eco 101 textbook can be quite helpful, but the main problem lies in learning enough of the big wide world to have some inkling about why the inputs occur.

For instance, we talk about supply and demand affecting prices. Okay, all well and good. The problems come in when folks try to figure out why a supply is messed up--whether too much or not enough--or why some particular demand is rising or falling. The world of oil is a good example, since it involves politics as well as physical problems of myriad sorts.

And you get into terminology. "Elastic" and "inelastic" demands, for instance. The demands for food and transportation fuel are pretty much constant, or inelastic. Ya gotta have 'em. The demand for tourism or restaurant meals is elastic: You can always stay home and not spend that money there. So, having a feel for behavior patterns and the reasons for them is important.

And, yeah, "Wealth of Nations" is a good background read...

'Rat

5. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I am nearly 40, have worked as a soldier (army cartographer), child welfare officer, taxi driver, church youth worker, after school care worker, cleaner, book-keeper, and now run my own graphic design business with my wife, and had the weird and scary experience of my boy having cancer in 2004 (he's ok now) — so that takes care of some life experience.

I have also spent the last 3 years tracing the effects of peak oil down the supply chain into all sorts of industries and trying to visualize just how simply I could live, and what a "real need" is anyway... to the point of briefing a few Aussie politicians. So I have some idea of the supply chain. (People are shocked to learn that they wear oil and even "eat oil" — well duh!)

I guess I was just trying to get an overall economic appreciation to fill in any missing bits.;)

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Interesting life, good for you! There are several good books, and thesis work online, specific to the 'oil factor'. Send me a PM, and I will link you to some obscure reference material.

7. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

I'm just after a basic "normal" over-view of economics with which to judge some of the stuff out in peak oil land. (There are various theories about money creation creating the imperative for exponential growth that I am exploring.)

I'd like to understand the "normal" theory before getting into the alternative ideas. I've read Party's Over, Powerdown, Half Gone, and my DVD's include "End of Suburbia", "Crude Impact" and others.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Shifting from Eco 101 (which I thought was a really easy course), and to the peak oil thing, here's the first Google hit on oil + sSimmons:

http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/research.aspx?Type=msspeeches

I've read a good bit of his commentaries, and I've seen nothing elsewhere to change my agreement with his ideas...

FWIW,

'Rat

9. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse