ecstasy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Sep 11, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

I have no idea if we are allowed to post stuff like this on here, I tried looking through the forum rules but did not find anything, so if any mod finds this inappropriate please delete.

I am 43 and have done a fair amount of experimenting with illicit substances in my time, and to this day still smoke my share of pot..

The one thing Ive never done is ecstasy. When I was younger it was getting popular right about the same time I was almost done taking psychedelics, and for the 20 some years I never encountered.

Now for one reason or another I find myself running into people who talk highly of it, and for the past 2-3 years have been trying to get me to take it but I've been resistant for the following reasons.

1) I need whats left of my brain for my job
    2) If it is anything like LSD, Im not interested in an 8 hour trip, and dont want to take the chance on having a bad trip.
    3) Finally, it is not completely understood how this drug works in the brain, and what any dangers are, although this probably applies more to long term use than a single experimental dose.

As time goes on I find myself getting more and more willing to try it, but I still have my doubts.

Im sure there are folks on here that have done it. What were the affects and how long did they last? Is there any kind of mental or physical hang over associated with it?

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

The only time my friend tried MDMA, he was up playing video games from 7pm until 6am, grinding his teeth and singing MMMbop to himself.
    Ended up three hours late for work the next day and having to leave 5 hours early. All in all, a bad scene. Stay green ;)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Tends to hang over into the next day or two, can screw up mood, appetite and sleeping cycles. Sometimes slightly jittery, sweaty and teeth-clenchy.

Nothing like LSD which takes you out of yourself. Relatively unpsychedelic apart from adding a glow to things, it's more a group social vibe, not a substance to take by yourself. Tolerance can go up pretty quickly. Not addictive, but habit-forming.

Biggest dangers: sudden, intense bursts of empathy and bonding with others. Boring the hell out of others within earshot who aren't along with you on the ride. New-found appreciation of 4/4 deep house, trance and glowsticks. In short, becoming a DFH. ;)

Not encouraging its use and haven't taken any for about 15 years, but if you have to take it which no-one here can prevent, get a group of friends together in a space where you're comfortable, either indoors or outdoors. Don't mix it with alcohol, don't drive and don't go to work the next day. Go extremely easy if you're taking prescription medicines on a regular basis.

Not sure how long this thread will last, but speaking solely from personal experience, long-term and regular use is best avoided.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

It's well worth it IMHO.

1) unless you take it more often than once every 6 weeks assuming you have fairly typical brain chemistry it won't cloud your mind

2) it's not like LSD, at all, the first time you take it it'll have you intoxicated for ~6-8 hours or so, believe me, you won't find this to be a negative, there's basically zero chance of a "bad trip" unless you have abnormal brain chemistry, take something that is not MDMA or have severe mental health difficulties

3)It's fairly well understood how the direct method of action works, it's fairly similar to SSRIs only essentially turbo charged for a shorter duration.

Prozac and other SSRIs basically block the removal of serotonin by blocking the reuptake pathways, MDMA goes one step further and reverses the direction of those pathways so your brain is flooded with the neurotransmitter, this is why you can't take MDMA while on SSRIs, as the SSRI binds to the pathway stronger than MDMA.

The direct after effects include lethargy the day after and some people experience a period of depression around 4 days afterwards where they may just feel a bit depressed, as a first time user you're unlikely to experience this with clean MDMA, but if it's taken regularly it can get worse. Personally I've never had this happen badly, I find it *far* preferable to a hangover and thus I don't drink ever.

Long term potential damage mostly arises from either excessive use or combination with dopamine releasing drug, it's theorised that MDMA neurotoxicity is caused when your mind runs out of serotonin and is left with an otherwise normal amount of dopamine, or a raised level if you've taken a stimulant also.
    This neurotoxicity occurs when dopamine enters the serotonin reuptake pathway and is metabolised in the serotonin transponders and is metabolised there to a form of peroxide, which results in oxidative stress.

This is avoidable a few ways: Firstly you can take large doses of vitamin C, this is an antioxidant and has been clinically shown to reduce the after effects.

Secondly you can keep your serotonin levels up by taking a health suppliment 5-htp at spaced doses of 100mg, no more than 500mg a day, this is the direct precursor to serotonin and by keeping a base level of serotonin the serotonin essentially blocks the dopamine from causing this damage

You can also avoid taking any kind of stimulant, not many people do and it's all too common for ecstacy in the US to contain meth.

I can't state this enough: buy from people you trust and use a pill testing kit http://www.eztest.com/shop/ I don't know if they ship to the US but the reagents are available over there. Ecstasy is notoriously adulterated and half the time what's sold as it doesn't contain a bit of it, this is your primary risk.

While the word "neurotoxicity" may sound scary, a whole bunch of stuff is neurotoxic to varying levels that we take for granted, primarily alcohol. No one has ever clinically shown that MDMA does definitely cause any damage to the brain, the only study that claimed to was disproven when it was discovered that they scientist in question used methamphetamine instead of MDMA.

Finally: If you do choose to take it take it with people close to you, ideally someone you love, this isn't a drug just to get "high" on, it's a social thing. While I liked the substance before I took it with my partner it wasn't until then that I truly appreciated it.

Hope that helps :)

All good advice, seconded.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nice to see such a good thread on drugs.

Is it true that Escasy prevents the brain from telling you that your thirsty or is that a myth ive been told somewhere?

6. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Myth, you'll need to drink a bit more water but you'll totally feel like drinking it, the only slight danger is that you may drink too much water due to thinking that you have to make a special effort to drink water due to said myth.

Also: I'd like to say as someone who does the stuff on a semi-regular basis, it's perfectly possible to do so and maintain good mental and physical health, this is one of the main reasons I don't drink at all any more, for the toll it takes on my body I just don't see it as worth it when occasional use of MDMA really is for me, a have a few friends who do both and whenever they mention the fact to their GP the GP always without fail tells them to cut down on their drinking and don't see an issue with the MDMA.

The only thing I can think of that you really need to watch out for is teeth clenching, it'll probably make you gurn horribly and you'll need to avoid chewing your mouth up, I don't really experience this but others often do.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Not something I ever noticed. I'm pretty sure the water thing is more about non-stop dancing for hours on end in hot, sweaty clubs which will dehydrate you fairly quickly. My essential drink of choice when caning it, and these days, for after drinking booze: Purdey's Silver.

[​IMG]

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Tried it twice- not for me. Put me in a really bad mood and made time go by very fast. Not my kind of drug.

LSD on the other hand, was absolutely fantastic and my drug of choice when I was younger. But my days of doing drugs have been over for many years. I think I'd die if I did it now.

9. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

E is a stimulant and is more akin to amphetamine than LSD in terms of effect. If you haven't tried and feel like you might want to, I don't see it being a problem to take it Friday evening or, if daytime is more your thing, saturday afternoon. You should be fine by Monday for work. The biggest problem with E is making sure that you are getting what you think you are getting. If you are going to buy a pill search the name of the pill and see what you come up with. There is a database somewhere on the web of pill purity based on samples sent into a lab. I can't find it though.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would describe it in nearly opposite terms.

I've taken LSD probably 20 or so times, both alone and with others. In my experience LSD takes whatever is inside your mind, magnifies it 1000 times and sticks it right back in your face. However, if you approach it as an fearless explorer of the mind and reality then it can take you places. Otherwise, it's just going to take you on a tour of your own delusion.

It's been over twenty years since I last tried it. I would gladly go on that ride again.

11. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Uh, maybe not such a good idea to be sharing ones drug usage on a public internet forum. Potential future employers and grandmothers could be reading this stuff. My lips are sealed. :)

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

We briefly discussed e in a psych class a few years ago. The long-term effects are that it destroys the dopamine (or dopamine receptors... or something, it's been a while - edit: it might not have been e... I'm kinda hung over and not thinking properly.) so it'll make it harder for you to get happy, and you're more likely to want to use it to make yourself happy.

Something like that. But of course my twenty-something year old friend used to do it and more, and she's still one of the smartest people I know.

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good point. I'll remove my MR forum name from my resumé, Linked-In page and portfolio and stop using it as sign-off in my business emails.

14. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

You might also want to remove the pictures you posted of yourself in an older picture thread with your MR forum name attached.:D

15. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

The problem with Ecstasy these days is that about 50% of pills you find on the streets do no contain any MDMA in them at all.

The other 50% of pills will have some sort of MDMA in them while 25% of those pills will probably be pure MDMA, which is how it should be.

Just be weary of where you get it. Taking anything less than pure MDMA can cause unwanted results and a less than satisfactory experience.

16. JediZenMaster macrumors 68000

JediZenMaster

I've "Rolled" a few times. It's amazing what the MDMA unlocks and the way it effects perception. I've bonded with quite a few people while on it and also it's given me a different understanding of things. Oh and i hit myself in the eye with a glowstick once too not a good feeling

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

God forbid the ideal that one would have standards enough to not work for an employer that invaded your privacy to such a degree?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have a hard time believing that any of these people have jobs worthy of that kind of scrutiny to begin with.

I know I don't.

I'm a designer. I'm supposed to take drugs!

19. racer1441 macrumors 68000

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Because the story you've been taught your whole life about what perception, mind and reality is just that... a story, real in a way, but not the only way.

These drugs help to reveal other aspects of perception, mind and reality. Used well, and they can expand one's limited perspectives.

I totally value the experiences I've had while under LSD.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Agreed. I had some life-changing experiences using LSD. They were much for the better. Would love to do it again, I'm just afraid it would be too hard on me physically these days.

22. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I can't imagine it being, the muscle tension and other physical side effects are pretty much a constant, Hoffman tripped all the way up to and including his 100th years, LSD is one of the most tolerated drugs known.

Why do anything? If the fun/risk ratio is attractive then people are going to do it and there's nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

I've no regrets.

24. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Some drugs are great when used responsibly. I have also had some great experiences (wouldnt call them life changing) with LSD.

These days it is doubtful I would touch it because I dont want my head tied up in that kind of trip for that length of time.

Thanks for all the replies on the original topic.

25. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Ecstasy is an awesome drug, almost too much fun at times. We enjoyed it most in small intimate groups of really good friends.

But, it's hard on the body. I had to admit I was too old for it somewhere in my mid to late 40s. It's just fond memories now.