EDIT! 24" iMac vs 13" MBP & 24" ACD vs 24" $1299 SONY VAIO® L Series All-in-One

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stever500, Oct 13, 2009.

1. stever500 macrumors regular

Hello fellow forum readers. I'm pretty much brand new here so please be kind. I have decided to replace my 7 year old Dell Dimension 4400 20 gig/512 mg ram with the current 24" iMac 2.66 GHz after visiting the Apple store on repeated occasions. This machine is about 8X faster than what I'm using now. I have never had a laptop and didn't think I needed one. Then while looking at an iMac at the store the other day I run into a friend and her new 15" MBP. She's a recent PC convert as well. She glowed about it and said she loves surfing the internet and working on her computer from her couch, easy chair, out and about all over town, etc. I never thought of using a computer this way because I've never had a laptop.

Scenario 1: Buying just the 24" iMac, I'm looking at the educational discount pricing of $1399+50 (Apple wireless mouse and keyboard)+$41 iWorks+$119 Apple Care+$99 1-1 = $1708 + tax.

Someone at the store suggested sticking to my guns, saving the money over buying a laptop and 24" ACD (Apple Cinema Display), and just get the iMac. I'm on a budget so money is a big consideration. Not so much of a budget that I want to get a cheaper, new Dell, as I've fallen head over heels for a Mac and it's lack of viruses w/ quick start up and shut down. I wait forever now for my machine to turn on, turn off, process stuff, etc. I only email, surf, type up Word docs, download about 300 pictures a year onto my hard-drive, do a few Powerpoint presentations, and type up some Excel spreadsheets now and then. That's it. Other friends said to get a 13" refurb MBP and a 24" ACD ($999 + $599). The Apple care doubles in price at this point to $239 from $119 (w/my educational discount) and then I'd want a wireless keyboard and mouse ($69 and $59 refurb pricing). I'd buy the 1-1 for $99 so they can transfer all the data from my PC to my new Mac and to have some free lessons in the store if I like. It's worth the $99 just to have the data transferred... because I don't have an external HD and I don't know how to do it if I did. I have friends that said they'd try to help me but then I'm at the whim of when or if they're available and I'd want to pay them for their time anyway with a nice meal out, or something else. Guess I eventually need to buy an external HD though but I've gone 12+ years without one so far.

Scenario 2: The total this way would be $999 (13" MBP)+599 (24" ACD) +69 (refurb wireless keyboard) +59 (refurb mighty mouse - wireless) +99 (1-1) +239 (Apple Care) +71 (iWorks) -it's $30 more when you get a refurb vs a new machine) +$50 for a carrying case for the laptop = $2185 + tax. Ouch. I realize I could get a Dell screen for 1/2 the price of a ACD but I LOVE the ACD so that's a non issue.

If my math is correct, getting the 13" MBP and 24" ACD would cost $477 more than just getting the iMac. But, I'd have more versatility I guess if I decided I want to go mobile. But, the computing speed and power is better on an iMac than the little 13 MBP, isn't it? And, knowing me, I might drop and hurt that little MBP one day which would cost me money and not be a great situation. An iMac sitting on my desk all the time would stand less of a chance of getting messed up.

So... I guess I should just get the iMac? I ordered it already but cancelled the order yesterday when I found out through these forums that an update could happen within the next 4 months or so. I could wait as my Dell still works, it's just very slow processing stuff sometimes.

How can one know if they'd really get a kick out of going portable if one has never done this before? Also, if I got the 13" MBP and the ACD 24", would I at some point wish I just got the bigger 15" MBP instead? At the store, I thought the 13" was kind of small as my eyesight isn't the greatest. It's cool that it's more portable, being smaller, and I realize you can make the size of the print on the page bigger by using that command + key (I think that's what they told me), but in the end, the screen is fairly diminutive if I went portable a lot more than expected.

In this last case, scenario #3, I'd be better off just getting 1 machine to begin with: a refurb 15" basic MBP for $1450 (regular price = $1699) from the Apple website. I'm only interested in purchasing directly from Apple, not Craigslist, Ebay, Amazon, etc. I'd pass on the 24" ACD in this case and just use the 15" all the time on my desk and then go portable if need be. I'm used to a 19" display now, a cheap Viewsonic that works great, so 15" will seem small to me. Yes, I could hook up the 15" MBP to the Viewsonic I guess, but I was hoping to just dump this 19" screen and replace it with some Apple product of some sort.

Scenario 3: would cost me: $1450 (refurb 15" MBP current base model+$239 Apple Care+$71 iWorks+$99 1-1 = $1859 + tx. ($151 more than getting a 24" iMac)

EDIT: I edited this now to include the $1299 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16155&N=4294966455

Go ahead, touch it.INNOVATION YOU CAN PUT YOUR FINGER ON.
    The VAIO® L Series all-in-one touchscreen PC puts technology at your fingertips. Just touch its massive 24" screen1 to access the internet, digital TV, social networks, movies and more. Multi-touch control lets you scroll, zoom and rotate your photos by flicking, pinching and tapping objects directly on the screen.
    THE TOUCHSCREEN PC THAT'S ALSO AN HDTV.
    Experience hands-on entertainment at its best. Because there's an HDMI™ input and an available built-in TV tuner, the L Series lets you watch HD programming from your cable box, satellite receiver or PS3™ through a single cable. There's even a DVR for recording up to 100 hours of HDTV shows or Blu-ray Disc movies (select models only) to the hard drive.

A MORE PERSONAL TOUCH.
    Feel the difference a multi-touch screen can make and experience computing at a more intimate level. Here are just a few of the L Series touch techniques:

Tap & Double-Tap — Touch and release to click and open files and folders. Drag — Touch and slide your finger on screen like dragging with a mouse.
    Scroll — Drag content up and down without using a scroll bar. Zoom — Pinch two fingers together to zoom in on images and documents. Rotate — Touch two spots on a photo and twist to rotate it in real time. Flick — Flick left or right to navigate back and forward in a web browser. Press & Tap — Touch with one finger and tap with another to right-click.

$1299 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL111FX/B Intel® Pentium® E5400 (2.70GHz)
    Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 4GB RAM, 320GB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray player, NVIDIA graphics (512MB VRAM)

$1499 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL114FX/B Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 4GB RAM, 500GB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray player, NVIDIA graphics (512MB VRAM), TV tuner

$1799 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL116FX/B Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8400S (2.66GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 6GB RAM, 500GB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray player, NVIDIA graphics (1GB VRAM), TV tuner, HDMI in

$1999 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL117FX/B Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8400S (2.66GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 6GB RAM, 1TB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray burner, NVIDIA graphics (1GB VRAM), TV tuner, HDMI in

Thoughts? Have you really read down this far? :cool:
    Sorry for all the questions. As you can tell, I've been obsessing about this for months!

Regards,
    Steve R

2. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Just buy a refurb mbp 13 inch($899)...it would still be better than your crappy delly(sorry:eek:) and you can upgrade it anytime (adding ram and hdd is easy...i mean not so easy...but its definitely cheaper:rolleyes:) and also look at the refurb LED display on aaple refurb store (last time i checked, it was $599) so this setup may be cheaper for you than your imac!:cool:

or you can buy a refurb imac too...its $999...;)...

oh and just buy the wireless keyboard from apple but dont buy the mighty mouse...check out logitech mx revolution...i have heard (and experienced ) that its better than mighty mouse...:)

3. Diejws macrumors member

Diejws

If you can live without a portable computer, just get the iMac. From what you mention, it seems like you can. It's cheaper and will give you somewhat better performance. Plus, the luxury of browsing the Internet from your couch would require you to get a wireless router which is an extra expense, unless you already have one. When I got my Macbook I thought I'd take it with me far more than I do, since my campus always has tons of computers I can use there.

4. stever500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick response. The newest MBP 13" is $999 on the Apple Refurb site... the one for $899 is this one:

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum

13.3-inch 1280-by-800 pixel LED-backlit display
    2GB memory
    160GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Built-in iSight camera
    Standard keyboard

while I was hoping to get the latest and "greatest" at least, if went 13"

I'm glad you mentioned the mighty mouse. I've read countless posts from people that said it's an inferior product. But it looks so good on a desk with the Apple wireless keyboard ;). I know, looks aren't everything. I'll check into that mouse you suggested.
    Are the wireless mighty mouses THAT bad?

With your example though, it would still cost $899 for the older 13" MBP, $599 for the ACD 24", $69 wireless Mac keyboard, $85 wireless logitech mouse, $239 for Apple Care, and $71 for iWorks. That's $1962. Ouch. Plus tax.

The refurb iMac would be $1299, refurb keyboard wireless $69, logitech mx Revolution $85, $71 iWorks, $119 Apple care = $1572. $390 cheaper than the other set up above.

I work for a Cable TV company so I could get the wireless router for free, but your point about rarely needing to go portable may be true for me too. Cheaper is good right now...

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I would get the 13" and then wait and see if you even need a 600 dollar refurb ACD to do your web surfing, email, and downloading 300 pictures a year to the hard drive....

About the imac, definitely don't buy that until they update it, which rumors speculate should be quite shortly.

6. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

tl;dr

If you need graphics, 15" MBP or 24" iMac.. if not, 13" MBP

7. stever500 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not even sure what graphics are. I like watching video on my computer. Would it make sense to buy something bigger than the 13" then? Is that "graphics"?

One other question: I kept my current Dell 7 year and it still works, but just slowly. It actually works fine for being really slow. I would want my next Mac to last 10+ years if possible. I'm not really sure why people on this site ask questions like "Will my MBP last 3 years?" or "Will my iMac last 3 years?"

This perplexes me. If my Dell lasted so long and is SO slow, why wouldn't a super speedy Mac that's 8X faster than my Dell last 10 years? Would a MBP "last" less than an iMac? Do Mac laptops just die faster than a desktop? Couldn't they then be fixed? Why wouldn't they last more than 6-8years anyway, if they're not dropped or stolen? My Dell got viruses that slowed it down alot, but a friend reformatted it for me and it was better, for a short while. A Mac isn't supposed to have this virus and slow speed problems, right?

8. HBOC macrumors 68020

I would do the MBP + monitor combo. That way you the best of both worlds. How portable do you want the laptop to be? I find my 15" perfect and not cumbersome at all. I have a 24" monitor as well. I got the best 15" that Apple offered at the time. It has a dedicated 512MB card. I believe the 13" have 256MB integrated card, which is still good. If you are going to be doing a lot of graphic heavy jobs or even powering a large external monitor, the better graphics card would be a wise choice, although it is not necessary by any means! :)

9. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The 24" ACD is a nice screen, but is kind of pricey, and you already have an lcd monitor in the house. Hook it up to the mbp using a dv connector if you want to save a buck. That said, I'd go with the 13" mbp due to the extra portability and keep your current lcd.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

My general advice is always buy MBP if you need portability, get iMac if you don't. From what you have said the iMac meets all your needs, for considerably less money than the MBP. If you get the MBP + ACD, you'll be paying a lot extra for something that is essentially a want rather than a need. That is completely ok, as long as you are aware of what you are doing.

11. Andy348 macrumors 6502

I used an old iBook G3 (about 10 years old, if not more) for roughly a year. It was my first Mac and I loved it! I think it had 256MB ram and about 20GB HD.

Any new Mac will be fine for watching full screen HD videos because every one that you selected has 256MB video ram which is more than enough.

I'd personally go for the MBP + ACD because you never know how often you'll be taking your computer on a vacation or likewise. Also, check out the refurbished store. It's well worth it.

12. stever500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks folks for your advice. I guess I'll seriously consider the MBP option now (instead of an iMac) more, with an ACD monitor or keeping my own monitor and using it (though it totally pales compared to the ACD). This wasn't even a consideration a week ago...

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 for the refurb store. Aside from the box you would never know these things are refurbs (I actually dont think they are I think they are simply cancelled orders).

I saved $800 on the last three apple items I bought (15 inch mbp, apple cinema display (AMAZING combo!) and a 24inch iMac).

They come with the same warranties and everything. The boxing just isn't as spectacular.

14. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

You don't want the Mighty Mouse. It is a terrible mouse. The MX Revolution is what I have and I know many others who have it and LOVE IT. Just feels good in your hand.

I would get the iMac because it's cheaper and better, but then you'd have to wait until the new ones are released (well you don't HAVE to, but you know).

15. OsakaTom macrumors newbie

Whichever option you choose, absolutely wait for the new iMacs -- I wouldn't be surprised to see a slight price reduction across the line. This might also further drop prices of refurb current gen models.

Now, one big concern with all of this is that you're looking for a 10+ year computer, and I'm not really sure how well that's going to work -- Even Apple will cover a Mac for 3 years with an extended warranty. So, I wouldn't try to worry about keeping it for a decade -- odds are the cost to replace it would drop precipitously in half that time -- even the very low cost 'nettop' computers right now likely outperform for you Dell for ~$250-300 (especially with Ion).

Rather, consider what you need NOW, and in the immediate future. And, as great as Apple computers are (usually), don't entirely discount supplementing your Apple purchase with some PC hardware -- mouse, monitor.

You also need to decide how much you can really spend -- a variance of $1400 to $2100 is quite big. In terms of performance, based on what you describe, any of these options will be totally fine for you -- if not even faster than what you'd need.

Is the convenience of browsing the internet on your couch worth an extra $400-$700? Do you NEED a very large sceen display? 24 inches is considerably larger than your current 19", do you need a display that big? It sounds to me like you WANT to go bigger, and would likely be unhappy with only a 13" MBP. It also sounds like you want to totally ditch you existing setup with all new gear -- I can understand that!

But, given your price concerns, allow me to suggest two more options (yeah, sorry for complicating it!):

1 - Wait for, and buy the cheapest NEW iMac, potentially refurb. This is your cheapest 'original' option. Then, if you decide you do want a portable computer for simple internet browsing, pick up a cheap netbook for ~300$. Or, you could even wait for the fabled 'Apple Tablet,' but there's no guarantee there. This way, you get a full Mac experience - no compromises - and a full second computer for 'away from desk' browsing. True, it's not a Mac, but do you really need a Mac just for internet browsing or email checking on the couch? (sacrilege, I know!;)) You can also add the netbook anytime, so you can spread out your purchases. Really, this isn't any different than your 'iMac' only option -- I'm just letting you know adding a second notebook is a very inexpensive option.

2 - You already stated this one, but... pass on the ACD!! Sure it's sexy, but it's reaaally overpriced for what YOU need, and what you want to spend. Unless you're doing video or film editing, the benefits of that panel are largely wasted. You can get the same size screen through a competitor (Dell, Asus, Acer, etc) for under $250. Some of those displays are not too aesthetically bad looking either! This option allows you to grab a 13" MBP plus brand new display for about the same as an iMac! Or, even frees up enough cash to pair up a 15" MBP with it! You can also use your current display until you settle on a good replacement, again allowing you to spread the purchase out. Again, I don't mean to totally rag on the ACD, but it doesn't make sense if your budget is really tight and you won't take advantage of the panel. Also, be aware that ACD is excessively glossy, same as the iMac, so this option would allow you to get a matte screen if so desired (not as much of an issue if your room isn't super bright).

As far as the 13" vs 15" goes, for you, spec wise, they're basically the same, especially since I imagine you would go with the 9400M processor in either system (the cheapest 15" MBP option). Thus, it's really only a matter of size. If you want a big portable screen, get the 15", if not, get the 13". Don't worry about specs, they're pretty much the same (and the cheaper 13" MBP can be upgraded).

Personally, I'd go for one of those two options, giving you the most flexibility and savings. Also, I'll repeat that 'don't buy a might mouse' suggestion -- it's rubbish. I vastly prefer the Logitech offerings.

(FWIW, I'll add that I'm typing this on a 15" MBP, and do my on the go browsing/email checking with an iPhone, and occasionally a 10" netbook).

16. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

Oh i didnt calculate the cost of the mouse, iworks, keyboard and apple care:eek: sorry:)

i would still suggest MBP+apple display (you can go for a cheaper display too...) as you will get portability as well as the feel of a desktop:) if you are tight on money right now, buy apple care later( like in the 11th month of your warranty)...

as for mighty mouse, i used them only once and the trackball was too small but logitech was awesome...it fits in hands nicely and looks good too...

hope it helps...! cheers!

17. katyoshi macrumors 6502

This is what I have: new 15" 2.66ghz mid-2009 MBP, refurbished 24" ACD, and refurbished bluetooth apple mighty mouse and keyboard. The quality IMHO in the 24" ACD is gorgeous and great that it comes with isight, speakers, usb ports in the back and on my desk, it looks stunning. I also connected my ipod touch in dock connected to altec lansing speakers and my WD external HD (500gb). My friend has a samsung LED monitor (new one) and it doesn't come with a camera or speakers but it is cheaper (about $300). Depends what you want. I decided to go all out apple for this one.

The MM is actually good, the track ball doesn't need frequent cleaning as you would think. This is IF you wash your hands before touching the mouse at all which you should be washing your hands before using a computer as we've all been told in grade school before touching their Apple II's. :rolleyes: I bought my mouse in July 2009 and I just had to clean it 2 weeks ago with little bit of damp q-tip and roll the ball on a new clean sheet of white print paper. You'll be amazed on how much stuff gets out that way, and voila, good as new!

Now I'm thinking about buying a new mac mini whenever it comes out to connect with my ACD and peripherals and use my MBP as just a portable around the home in front of my 50" Samsung LED LCD TV hooked up to the 160gb+1tb apple TV :D. I am certainly living the great digital life but at a high cost by going all apple. If you have to money, get the 13" or 15" MBP, REFURBISHED 24" ACD, bluetooth apple keyboard and MM. You will not be disappointed. For me, I'm a graduate student that does a lot of papers and reading PDF files so when I'm out and about to Starbucks, I like my 15" because I have more space to read my PDFs and see my word documents in a wider view. Again its all about preference and what you plan to do.

18. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Get the iMac.

Nice machine. Cheaper. More powerful.

Check out AppleInsider.com's price comparison chart for deals. LInk on top of their front page.

Also with an iMac there really is no need for Applecare. The reliability on iMacs is excellent. And you can wait until month 11 if you really want Applecare.

Neither would I waste money on 1-1 either. You can do the (video) tutorials on Apple's website if you need a taste for the Mac. Apple also has many text tutorials, help menus and Google is your friend.

IF you want to save even more $$$$ get the 20" iMac. I have one and love it. Certainly the screen is much bigger than any laptop screen and much better as well. Passes the wife test. Last with new iMacs rumored to be coming in the next few weeks you're going to see deals on the old models (if the rumor is true.)

19. stever500 thread starter macrumors regular

Funny you should mention the 20". I was at a highline apartment building today for my job and noticed in their business center they have 8 iMacs just sitting their to be used. I walked in, totally amazed, and thought they were 24" iMacs. Then I realized that they were the 20" ones. They seem pretty huge to me! I think my 19" old style square computer monitor is actually bigger from top to bottom, but in the end, the 20" iMac is still incredible. I'm now leaning heaving towards just getting an iMac now and forgetting the laptop idea for a while. As some of you said, I could always get that later, down the road one day. I'm not a "use my computer in Starbucks" kind of guy. I'm not a "use my computer around the house" guy. I only use it in the upstairs office, a beautiful room in my house with huge red oriental rug, a very comfortable leather office chair and nice modular desk, an old but beautiful Sony 27" TV to watch while waiting for my Dell to turn on, off, bring up a website, etc. Guess with the iMac I won't get in as much TV time because it works so fast!

So, I'm off the laptop idea for now. I may get this new job at work that I applied for and they'll give me a laptop to use, probably a Dell. Also, for my parttime job, they gave me a cheap Asus laptop, a real POS with a broken battery but I can plug it in to use it. If I had a wireless router I guess I could use it wirelessly. And, as you said, I could get a cheap netbook to use with my iMac if I find the need in the future.

So, I'm willing to wait on the new iMac then. Or, pick up an "old" current model refurb unit when the new machines come out. I doubt the new machines are going to offer a user of my type much more for the money, unless they lower the price. I don't really need many features so features aren't too much of an issue for me.

Now I'm REALLY psyched, because I know what I want now. The 20" is about $999 and the 24" is $1299, for the extra $300 I'm going for that huge 24" screen:cool:. Not needing Applecare is a concept I didn't think of. If it's that reliable in the first 11 months, maybe I won't spend the $119 to get the extra 2 years of coverage. I never consided that one. And, good idea on the 1-1. I'll probably be too busy to go into the store for those 1-1 (1) hour long lessons if I get this new job. And, with all the tutorials on line, and the free classes they have in my local Apple store for non 1-1 members, I can get what I need and save yet another $100. For that savings, I'll buy that expensive Logitech MX revolution mouse you suggest.

Yeahhhh... I think I've decided now. When the new iMacs come out very soon, I'll see what the prices and features are and then choose "new" or refurb "current model".

So, I guess I need to buy an external hard drive to switch my files from my Dell to the iMac? Any suggestions here? Or do I just get a cheap flash drive instead? I know nothing about this stuff.

Steve R

20. trip1ex macrumors 68000

You're going to want a large (1TB or >)external hard drive for Time Machine backups.

And that can help you transfer data as well. Format it FAT32 for transferring data from Windows to Mac.

For Time Machine, reformat to Mac OS Extended Journaled using Disk Utility on your Mac.

You can also transfer data over a home network.

21. stever500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this info. I don't understand much of what you wrote as I'm a computer newbie but I'll forward it on to a friend that's willing to help me set up my new machine, I hope.

How much does this piece of equipment - hard drive, cost? Which brand/type should I get?

Lastly, I told my PC buddy about getting an iMac today. He's a Sony guy, through and through. He said he's going to upgrade his home machine to the new Sony Product as soon as this touch screen desktop comes out in 10 days or so. He said for him it's MUCH better to get a PC as his programs from work only run on Windows and don't run as well on a Mac with Windows.

He has 12 computers, 6 at work (he's an eye doctor) and 6 at his 2 homes and he looked at iMacs in an Apple store a week ago but much prefers the Sony. I guess I better check it out before I plop down my money on a machine, just to rule it out or in. He's getting the top of the line 24.5".
    They start at $1299 to $1999 with a 10% discount through his job.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16155&N=4294966455

Go ahead, touch it.INNOVATION YOU CAN PUT YOUR FINGER ON.
    The VAIO® L Series all-in-one touchscreen PC puts technology at your fingertips. Just touch its massive 24" screen1 to access the internet, digital TV, social networks, movies and more. Multi-touch control lets you scroll, zoom and rotate your photos by flicking, pinching and tapping objects directly on the screen.
    THE TOUCHSCREEN PC THAT'S ALSO AN HDTV.
    Experience hands-on entertainment at its best. Because there's an HDMI™ input and an available built-in TV tuner, the L Series lets you watch HD programming from your cable box, satellite receiver or PS3™ through a single cable. There's even a DVR for recording up to 100 hours of HDTV shows or Blu-ray Disc movies (select models only) to the hard drive.

A MORE PERSONAL TOUCH.
    Feel the difference a multi-touch screen can make and experience computing at a more intimate level. Here are just a few of the L Series touch techniques:

Tap & Double-Tap — Touch and release to click and open files and folders. Drag — Touch and slide your finger on screen like dragging with a mouse.
    Scroll — Drag content up and down without using a scroll bar. Zoom — Pinch two fingers together to zoom in on images and documents. Rotate — Touch two spots on a photo and twist to rotate it in real time. Flick — Flick left or right to navigate back and forward in a web browser. Press & Tap — Touch with one finger and tap with another to right-click.

$1299 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL111FX/B Intel® Pentium® E5400 (2.70GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 4GB RAM, 320GB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray player, NVIDIA graphics (512MB VRAM)

$1499 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL114FX/B Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E7500 (2.93GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 4GB RAM, 500GB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray player, NVIDIA graphics (512MB VRAM), TV tuner

$1799 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL116FX/B Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8400S (2.66GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 6GB RAM, 500GB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray player, NVIDIA graphics (1GB VRAM), TV tuner, HDMI in

$1999 VAIO® L Series All-in-One Touchscreen
    Model Number: VPCL117FX/B Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q8400S (2.66GHz)
    Features: 24" Touch LCD, 6GB RAM, 1TB (7200rpm) HDD, Blu-ray burner, NVIDIA graphics (1GB VRAM), TV tuner, HDMI in

22. JCP21 macrumors member

There are external hardrives on apple store, for 1tb most are around £150. I recommend seagate or western digital. [​IMG]

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Before you recommend a TB hard drive, how about asking how much data the OP has? His current computer has a 20 GB HD, so I'm thinking telling him to spend a couple hundred dollars on a TB HD isn't good advice. Even taking in to account additional media and such, a much smaller HD, say 320 or 500 GB, should be more than enough.

Oh, and I think the imac is definitely the right choice for you. But keep in mind that nobody on this board (including me) is going to say to get a Vaio, so you might want to ask around on other boards. (like most people on this board, I have good reasons for going with a mac - it's not a baseless preference. But you've still selected a population that is only going to give you that viewpoint.)

24. WilliamG macrumors 604

I personally wouldn't swap my 24" ACD for any screen on the market. I just love it. I don't love the iMacs much at all for various reasons...

1.) Don't like the chin at the bottom
    2.) I don't like the lack of upgradeability unless you replace the screen, too, of course!
    3.) The actual panel isn't in the same league as the ACD.

Yes, it may cost more money, but I think you get what you pay for with the ACD, and I love my laptop+ACD combo to death.

25. stever500 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for this info as well as JCP21 for your advice. True, I don't need more than a 500 GB HD as I doubt I have much in the way of data. I'm guessing these are about $80? If so, it's $20 cheaper than getting the 1-1 membership for $99 AND I'd end up with something tangible in the end, a hard drive. I've never even used one before and never lost any data or files in my life, but I know people rely on them. Basically, I never had a crash of any sort where I lost data. And yes, I should have figured no one here on an Mac forum would be impressed with the new Sony Vaio with BluRay and touch screen like my buddy is.

Hmmm, interesting info. I didn't realize the ACD was a much better screen. The guy at Apple I just talked to said the 24" ACD and iMac are basically the same. The 30" is totally better, though. To me, they all look fairly alike at the Apple Store, enough alike at least for me to pic the iMac as being fine for my needs. It's funny, I met a business acquaintance today who was using a Dell laptop. I asked them if they considered getting a Mac instead at some point and they said "Uh, Apple products are for people who need them for graphics and video editing. I just use mine for internet surfing and emailing and spreadsheets. It wouldn't serve my simple needs."

She was describing my exact use too but I still want a Mac product.

Steve