Edit Apple HDV 1080p30 footage captured in FCP in FCE

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BrandonDaniel, Nov 11, 2009.

1. BrandonDaniel macrumors newbie

I captured several hours of footage in Final Cut Pro 6.0 in the HDV 1080p30 codec. My friend who is editing the footage is getting the "codec cannot be opened" message when trying to import it into Final Cut Express 4. My questions are 1) is there a codec or plugin that he can download to allow the footage to be imported into FCE, and 2) if not, what codec would I have to convert it to so it is compatible with FCE? I'm looking for minimal quality loss.

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

You really shouldn't be editing HDV natively, and should be transcoding to one of the flavors of ProRes(If you're both using FCP6, and HD space isn't too much of a concern, ProRes HQ will suffice).

3. BrandonDaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying. I'll probably start transcoding to a ProRes flavor in the future for my own projects. The issue here is we're not both using FCP6. The editing is being done in FCE4.

4. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

i think the pro rez get installed with FCS, so your friend may not have it, you can take the codec out your library/quicktime folder and put it on your friends machine, i have had to do this to allow people to view footage on laptops that dont have FCP installed.

5. BrandonDaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yeah, it looks like ProRes and AppleHDV only come with FCP/S. I'll try that.