Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I try to maintain a "FAQ" by editing the first post of a thread with all of the relevant information in the thread so that people don't have to read through the whole thing and have to wade through outdated and incorrect information. This is the thread in question.

Several months ago the Edit button disappeared and I was unable to edit the first post any more. I thought maybe there was a simple expiration on edits, and that over the years I must have hit that expiration date. But then a couple of months later, the Edit button mysteriously reappeared and I was able to make changes again.

Fast forward to today, and now the Edit button is gone yet again. I am left wondering when it will reappear again.

Considering the timeline involved, this has happened to me on both the old and new forum software. I am also not the only person to have this happen to them. Here is an example.

So what the heck is going on? Why are there these on-again off-again windows of opportunity to edit old posts?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The edit button is time limited. I think we extended it before and now the new software has an edit limit. I think out solution on the old system was to allow long term users to edit for much longer.

I'll see about recreating that here

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I believe if you make it a wiki post, then the edit button will persist. Not sure if that's something you'd want to do

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
The edit button is time limited. I think we extended it before and now the new software has an edit limit. I think out solution on the old system was to allow long term users to edit for much longer.

I'll see about recreating that here
What are those time limits and to what length or post count are they linked to?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
I believe if you make it a wiki post, then the edit button will persist. Not sure if that's something you'd want to do

Thanks for the quick response. Is there a way for me to switch it to a "wiki post"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.