Edit: Tried Lion on Macbook Air = Lots of Lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by klaxamazoo, Jul 20, 2011.

1. klaxamazoo, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

I stopped by the Apple store today to pick up a repaired computer and test drive Lion on the new Macbook Air.

There is a LOT of animation lag with Mission Control with these laptops. This wasn't just a little lag, like I saw on the 15" Macbook Pro, but rather a huge amount of lag. Trying to drag a window from one desktop to another had a 2-3 second delay.

Overall, Mission Control and even Application Expose do not work at all on the new 13" Macbook Air. Animation is very, very jerky or is missing all together. The 13" comes with 4GB of RAM on all models, so RAM is not the problem.

I would recommend that you try one out in the store before you buy it to make sure it works for you.

edit: Actually, I didn't confirm that I was using the new Macbook Air. Hopefully I was using an old Macbook Air.

2. Davieis macrumors regular

Happy I didn't sell my Air for this refresh :)

Must be the decreased performance of the Intel graphics causing it.

3. bk123 macrumors member

are you 10000%% sure they had SB processor? maybe u saw a core 2 duo :)

4. El3ctronics macrumors 65816

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yup, must be.

6. klaxamazoo thread starter macrumors 6502

You know what, I did not verify that it was the new Macbook Air. The conversations I heard made it seem like it was, but for all I know they had only updated the operating system. All the price tags/displays were removed and they said that they did not have any for sale yet.

Hopefully I was looking at the old Macbook Air.

I'll edit the title to keep from misleading anybody

7. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Might want to triple check if it was the new model. The new models go one sale in store tomorrow.

8. Davieis macrumors regular

I'm running Lion on the C2D 320M 13" and the animations are fine.

9. ess5 macrumors member

Oh, absolutely. :rolleyes:

10. UCF Sam macrumors regular

That would be even more concerning that the air is less powerful in the graphics department.

11. jeffg819 macrumors regular

Lion on my 2010 13" MBA works great. No lags seen yet. Actually, dare I say this, Safari is snappier!

12. rds macrumors regular

This is interesting. I doubt this would be CPU related. Maybe the GPU can't handle it or the APIs haven't been optimised for the hardware.

13. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Aren't the new MBA's supposed to arrive in stores tomorrow only?

Unless, they got a first shipment with demos only, they're probably 2010 models since they wouldn't leave their MBA table empty for a full day just because new ones were announced.

14. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Neither the 2010 or 2011 MBA has laggy animations or unusable Mission Control. Either the display model you failed to identify had a problem (or a backgrounded process eating up the system ressources, did you even check Activity Monitor ?) or you're outright just lying and causing panic for the fun of it.

15. solowmodel macrumors 6502

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I had the 1.4 MacBook air but with 4gb and lion was as smooth as butter for me. Just sold it to pay for my 2011 version.

17. meaty macrumors member

you remember if it had a backlit keyboard?

18. axu539 macrumors 6502a

There's no need to be so harsh. I'm sure either the OP made an honest mistake, or there is another problem at hand. Either way, we really can't disprove OP until more consumers actually get some of these machines in hand.

19. jenzjen macrumors 68000

The Air's in the NYC Apple 5th Ave store were the older 2010 Air's running Lion as of this morning.

20. cadillac1234 macrumors regular

Spotlight is re-indexing everything after the Lion install so expect a bit of lag until it's done updating

21. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

That's false. We can disprove the OP. Someone already did in this thread for the 2010 model and I'm sure we'd have heard something from the 13" MBP owners if Lion was unusable.

I did state in my post that the display model he used could have had a problem and he'd known if he had checked Activity Monitor. There was nothing harsh there, those are really the only 2 options here. Either we're dealing with someone out to bait a few replies and have fun or someone who didn't bother to check what was going on at all.

22. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Those weren't the new Airs on Display...checked the same thing and they had the old Airs (with Lion) on Display...I do miss 3 finger dwiping back and forward on web pages though :(

23. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

They're still there, just change it from 2 finger to 3 fingers in the additional gestures panel, and they'll work again.

24. malikk macrumors member

Do any of you air owners who have lion have an increased fan performance? Mine are running loudly with lion. Anybody else?

25. dermaze, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

dermaze macrumors newbie

constant fan noise

yep, unfortunately I can confirm that (MBA 2010 13" 1,86 4GB on Lion). Fans are really bugging me out. Some said that this is due to 32-Bit Plugins/Browser extensions...

On SL I was quite fond of CoolBook - but that doesn't work with Lion as of now... waiting for an update

EDIT: apparently, the heavy indexing and the new 10GB Time Machine Backup drew a lot of Power. Still more fan noise than before.