Editing 1080p footage - What kind of external?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Stang68, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Hey everyone,

I'm editing uncompressed 1080p footage in Final Cut Pro 7 and I wanted your advice. I have a LaCie USB 2.0 Rugged Hard drive but I think I am going to buy a 1TB LaCie. Is USB 2.0 ok to edit 1080p footage with? Or should I do I have to use Firewire 800? What do you all suggest?

Thanks!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

are you really editing uncompressed HD (you probably aren't and shouldn't btw)?

if you are, uncompressed requires a 4-disk RAID0 or better connected via internal SATA or externally via mini-SAS. FW800 is not fast enough and USB2.0 is not even close.

3. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I believe it's uncompressed. One minute of footage is roughly 1gb. Is firewire 800 enough?

4. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

5. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

what camera shot the footage?

1gb/min sounds like DVCProHD which is far from uncompressed. That can be edited on most FW drives.

avoid LaCie at all costs... go to OWC and get one of their FW800 drives or go with a high quality company like Caldigit and get a 2-disk RAID0 FW800 drive.

6. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I'm shooting on the Panasonic HMC150 (sweet cam, btw :)). You're not a fan of LaCie? I have been using them for years, love 'em. Bad experience?

Thanks for your help, btw :)

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I've observed quite a few LaCie issues as well. And that's not even counting the fact that they're overpriced compared to OWC's offerings. If you're getting any single drive enclosures, OWC's options are good, and Fantom Drives are also pretty good.

But yeah, that's definitely not uncompressed HD video. In fact, you're using AVCHD. Not even as high a bitrate as HDV. You'll be able to handle that on a regular old Firewire 400 drive. Firewire 800 will definitely be sufficient No need for speed there. Your only real requirement is that it should be firewire.

Sure it's 1 GB/minute? It's probably a lot less unless you're capturing straight from its output into a capture card...

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

FCP doesn't edit AVCHD natively, it all gets transcoded to ProRes and ProRes 422 1080p24 will clock in at around 1gig/min including audio.

OP,
    LaCie's have a very bad rep for failing which is why you'll rarely find a pro recommend them.

Lethal

9. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

hmm...all this negative talk about LaCie has me worried. You guys have mentioned OWC...how about this drive: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/MEAQ7S1TB32M/

I'm sure it's 1gb/minute. I'm taking the footage from the SD card and putting it on my desktop, so we can dump the footage on set quickly. That folder is usually 5gb bc its compressed. Then, I'm importing into Final Cut Pro from that desktop folder where it comes in uncompressed.

This is what my bin setting looks like for my clips: [​IMG]

10. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

ok, ProRes is not uncompressed... it is just an editing codec used because you can't edit AVCHD natively. You are correct in using the regular ProRes and not the HQ version (wouldn't give you a benefit coming from AVCHD). You could actually save more space with ProRes LT if you have FCP7 (you would retain all of your quality, but with about half the file size).

any FW800 drive should be plenty fast for either flavor of ProRes. That drive you linked to looks perfect.

11. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Ok, that's great to hear. We're shooting on a normal Extreme SD card (32gb). I do, in fact, have FCP7...so how do I log and transfer in ProRes LT? I would love to save the space you talked about haha

Thank you!

12. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can change the setting in the Log & Transfer window... there's a dropdown in the upper right where you can go to L&T prefs.

13. Stang68 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Yup, I found it! It does save space, not toooo much, but definitely a difference :)

14. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

oh, yeah.. I was thinking of the data rate vs ProRes HQ.

ProResLT is 100mb/s
    ProRes is like 145mb/s
    ProResHQ is 220mb/s IIRC

15. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I haven't used it in a while, so can anybody tell me how Apple Intermediate Codec compares? I can't remember if it's more or less efficient than ProRes (undoubtedly has a lower quality bar, but that's not going to matter with AVCHD and its meager bitrate).

16. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb