Editing Photo on iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by That-Guy, Mar 11, 2012.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I have just edited a Photo on my iPhone 4S (IOS 5.0.1) I simply rotated and cropped it a little.

I go to Photos > Camera Roll and it shows the edited version just fine.

Is there anyway to get this into my Photo Stream as that is showing the un-edited version.

Also I tried uploading the edited photo to Google+ from the phone, I select the thumbnail of the edited photo but when it attaches to a Google+ Post it shows the original version.

Is there anyway to fix these two problems? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in Advance :)

2. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It should automatically go to the photo stream. Check again and you should see it.

3. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Nope the edited photo is only in the Camera Roll :(

I have checked iPhoto on the computer and only the un-edited photos are there too!

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Hmm, I just verified on my phone. When I edit a photo and save it to the camera roll it automatically goes to the stream.

Are you sure you're saving the edited photo to your camera roll?

Which app ate you using for edits?

5. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

I am editing the photo using the edit button in the camera roll then I press the "Save" button in the top right of the screen.

Is that the correct process?

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Okay I got it. When you edit a picture inside the camera roll app you are not making a second copy of it like you would if you used a photo editing app. Therefore photo stream is not seeing it as a different photo because in fact it isn't a different photo.

You should use one of the many apps because that way you'll always have the original in case you need it. Once you edit in camera roll app you lose the original forever.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Sorry, actually you don't lose the original if it already went to the photo stream. But you would have to specifically sync it from your Mac if you wanted it back on your phone once it gets removed from photo stream.

Remember, you have a limit of 1000, so eventually it will be replaced by other photos.

8. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

This actually makes the Photo Editing Feature pretty pointless if it won't add the edited photo to the Photo Stream.

Also Google+ uploads the un-edited version of the photo but Twitter uploads the edited version. Nothing seems to be consistent.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Well consider this. The camera roll app was only designed for quick edits and most people use one of the many excellent editing apps to work on their pictures.

I have a few but just last night downloaded the new iPhoto app and I was really impressed with it.

I suppose different people have different uses but I don't like edits that irreversibly change a photo. I prefer to have a copy made.

And I understand about how Google+ uploads automatically but it's a whole different eco system so naturally things are going to work differently. I know people that hated that feature because they wanted to add only the photos they chose. Then they weren't sure if the photos were public or private.

Different strokes for different folks, right? :)

10. That-Guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Yeah its great for quick edits but if it only gives you the option to Tweet, Email or Message after there is not much point editing it in the first place if you want to use the image elsewhere. You may as well let the un-edited version end up in your Photo Stream and edit it on the computer thus making the edit function on the phone pointless.

Having to install another App to edit photos really annoys me as the phone already has the feature built in your just limited as to what you can do with the photo after. If you had the option to add edited photos to the Photo Stream the whole process would be so slick.

As for Google+ I have disabled the Auto-Upload feature, the problem I am getting is when I try to manually upload photos that I have chosen.

I dunno maybe the Photo Stream feature needs a little more Tweaking.

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I agree the photo stream feature can be tweaked but personally like I said before I like the third party apps because you can get really artistic with some of them and they have more sharing options also.

I think as time goes by and iCloud matures, photo stream will get better.