Editorial: 5 Reasons Why I Think The iPhone 4S Is The Least Competitive iPhone Yet

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

Very good article;
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...phone-4s-is-the-least-competitive-iphone-yet/

- The Retina Display Is Old News
    - Dual-Core Will Excite Developers, No One Else
    - Lack Of 4G Will Hurt Sales At Verizon And Sprint
    - Siri Is Great And All, But Let’s Face It, It’s Mostly A Gimmick ( was not Apple's creation )
    - iOS 5 Is A Big Step Forward For The iPhone, But Compared To Android? Not So Much

Conclusion
    I think that we can objectively say for the first time about a new iPhone that Apple has come up short compared to the competition. It’s also the first time Apple has released a new iPhone (no, we’re not counting Verizon’s iPhone 4) since Android became the U.S.’s number one smartphone OS. The iPhone 4S’s incrementally improved hardware will not make converts of Android users - and neither will the new features in iOS 5. That much we feel confident in saying.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I posted this elsewhere...

I think that the updates just don't excite many people because the iPhone 4 already has great specs - and works fast enough for most people (except maybe gamers).

The new speed/etc won't matter to many who just use their devices for surfing, email, texts, and other apps that don't really need the extra power.

I think the feature people who get the 4S will probably love most is the camera. But the iPhone 4 already takes great pics.

The truth is iOS 5 is more compelling of a release and it brings new functionality.

Unlike the front facing camera and (I assume upcoming NFC) - there's not too too much you can now add to specs that really are going to wow people except maybe a bigger screen.

3. PhoneI macrumors 65816

- Retina display is still the best and highest quality screen available
    - developers will make even better apps. Who doesn't want better apps?
    - 4G is a complete battery killer.
    - You judged Siri without using it at all
    - iOS5 blows Android OS away. I have both, its not even close

Anything else?

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Siri is far from a gimmick if it works as advertised (which I assume it will)

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Its great how Android lovers can't stop gushing about NFC, but claim Siri is just a useless gimmick.

6. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

This is a great non-biased article. Read it again and notice how he really gets Apples pros.

And: I doubt you ever owned a GS2.

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    this is all getting so old...

blah
    blah
    blah

was tempted to go android - but they all look hideous and
    icreamwafffle raisin -whatever looks ***** too
    way to go apple

:mad:

8. PhoneI macrumors 65816

I don't own a GS2, I own a SG2. I also own 3 blackberry's and a Samsung Focus. I do mobile support for my company. I like the SG2, it probably my favorite Android device. In my humble opinion, its not nearly the device the iPhone 4 is.

9. ap3604 macrumors 68000

This, this, and more of this! :)

10. DagazaGZ macrumors regular

DagazaGZ

Won't be getting the 4S, the only change it has for me is Siri. I have an iPhone 4 and won't be updating simply for the ability to talk to my phone.

11. kmanmx macrumors 6502

So the best selling smartphone on the planet has had a significant upgrade, and now it is somehow not competitive ?

Right.

For as long as phone has an Apple symbol on the back, people will consume it in the millions.

12. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

13. DDar macrumors 6502

DDar

The iPhone now has a form HSPA+.
    It may not be the 42MB/s or 24MB/s versions that I wanted, but 14 MB/s is nothing to scoff at. That's twice the data abilities the old 4S has (4.6 times if you were on Verizon and are now switching to AT&T).

HSPA+ was really all I wanted, and I got it. I personally didn't want a design change because I LOVE the all-glass design it currently has and thought the new design looked retarded. But hey, that was just me.

14. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Siri is a good idea, but it is not Apple's creation, they bought it off a third party developer, and time will tell if it truly works like the advertisements show, sounds too good to be true. And does it come working brand new out of the box at launch ? I heard rumors it is not quote ready just yet, will be patched in later ?

- Next week at Google's big event, they will announce the Nexus-Prime with same "retina" display type but on a 4.3" screen.

- Google is also announcing their own version of "Siri", will have a pet or icon type mascot on screen to do all things Siri does, fully integrated into the Android OS

15. BainthaBrakk macrumors newbie

Well I got that impression from reading one of your previous posts where you said no Android devices had a good camera.

16. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

1. Not until the nexus prime gets announced with a 720p SAmoled display and more to follow after that
    2. agree
    3.agree
    4.agree
    5. Subjective opinion.

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I would say this is def a subjective opinion.

I've compared SuperAMOLED against the iPhones IPS display and for brightness/outdoor readability I prefer the IPS.

I also don't like how AMOLED can get screen burn in. Some people like the vibrant colors of the AMOLED though so it really just comes down to user preference on which screen is better...

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

iPhone still has highest DPI in the mobile device...

With 326 pixels per inch, I highly doubt it's outdated. It's not ways ahead like it did in 2010, but it's still very good.

Apple is way smarter than any other companies. Just watch and see. Enough with specs...

19. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Um, Android is not a Google creation, they bought the company that created the OS and made it their own. What is the difference?

20. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Android users. Seriously, you start discuss the quality of UI in apps, fit&finish of graphics of apps, etc, you'll draw blank looks from Android users.

Having access to both Android and iOS worlds, I find this general lack of interest in the polish and software design and aesthetics a stark contrast to the iOS world. Ultimately this is precisely why some people just cannot make the switch to Android no matter how quickly they iterate the hardware and OS features; things often just don't feel right, even after you tweak the heck out of the system.

21. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Yeah, but I don't want to carry around my phone in a small piece of luggage (if the 4.65" screen size is to be believed).

22. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I couldn't disagree more. It will sell just as well, if not better, than every other iPhone.

Consumers are still enamored with Apple and iOS. Most people don't really care about 4G right now, since it's not widely offered, and whenever you market a product as "faster," it sells. Siri is pretty great, and the integration into iOS is awesome. The camera is the best yet, and takes fantastic pictures.

A lot of people are going to buy this iPhone...and the next one...and the next one...and so on...

23. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

So, you went to a PRO Android site, copied and pasted what they wrote, and that's somehow valid? Wow...thanks...for nothing I suppose?

----------

You realize Google didn't create Android either, right? They took it from someone else. It's also based on Linux...so, don't really see the Siri reference, and why you're stuck on that? Probably because it's all you have, I know...

The pet, or furry thing will do wonders for how well it performs, I'm sure. If Android isn't laggy enough, lets throw some furry pets on it to help. That's how I usually determine how good a product is actually. If they have a furry pet, I'm in!

24. brodas macrumors regular

Crying is not gonna solve anything. Only if we let apple know that we don't agree with their actions will they change. This is why I'm not buying the iPhone 4s and I truly hope apple does something amazing for the next iPhone or I'll start looking for a new mobile OS

25. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Actually, the iPhone 4 and 4s have 326PPI. Also, SAmoled isn't all what it's cracked up to be. It's washed in my opinion. Like looking through a screen door.