Editorial: In defense of the new $499 Mac mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dogslobber, Nov 24, 2014.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its the old Macnn site, they branched out a bit. They used to be fairly popular but that sight is mostly devoid of much activity these days.

2. corvus32 macrumors 6502a

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unfortunately that's all that is occurring with the current Mini :(

Many of us had such high hopes, only to be dashed.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

"On paper, its not as strong as the 2012 model, but why worry?"

Because I'd have to throw it out in a few years instead of simply upgrading the RAM and using it a few more. That's definitely a reason to worry ;)

5. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

The one thing I find hilarious is the comparable dual core model was RAISED $100! lol. So it's not really "now starting at $499", as that's the jobber model.

I have a dual core 2012 and love it, and compared to my 2012 the 2014 dual would be a significant improvement, but then they raised the price! That's what we call some *****ery.

6. corvus32, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

corvus32 macrumors 6502a

Good point. The ole switcheroo.

They get you to buy the gimped $500 model, so you're more likely to spend another $500 (or more) sooner.

While those smart enough to see what they did are forced to pay at least an extra $100 more than before.

7. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

don't forget to add 29$ for the DVI adapter that they took away too!

8. mapleleafer macrumors regular

It’s been interesting watching the fanboys finally cluing in to Apple’s true values. Classic betrayal response. Welcome to the real world boys.

9. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

You don't need it, AFAIK, if you buy the TBD ;-)
    Which is, I would have to assume, what the staff is encouraged to sweet-talk their marks^w customers into.
    At least, people get a decent display that way.
    Even if it's a 2011 model (and didn't I read that it's the Mid 2010 iMac's display)?
    ;-)

Likely, most people won't really care.

10. dogslobber thread starter macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Apple used to give you a remote control with each Mini or iMac. Not now.

11. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

In all fairness, there aren't many Ultra-Slim PCs in the market that match or even exceed the specs of the MacMini (2012 or 2014). And they aren't cheaper.

I just checked. What looks like a decent system is the HP EliteDesk 800 G1 USDT.
    (i7, QC, etc.pp.)
    It has USB3 on the front and the back, but no FW (yes, I actually use that on my 2012), but 2xDP, even VGA (who uses that?) an SSD, max 16GB RAM (SODIMM). GPU is HD4600.

Wonder if it's as quite as the Mini, though. But it seems it's much more user-servicable.

If I didn't like OS X so much, I'd probably look into one of those.
    OK, so for the same money, I could get a bigger PC. But the beauty of the Mini is that it forces you to really think hard and decide if you might need a certain feature at some point or not, while carrying it around all year (carrying in the metaphorical sense, of course).
    How many people have oversized PCs with oversized an inefficient PSUs, just because they might at some point add a 2nd GPU and three more hard-disks?

12. MacVidCards Suspended

I bought the entry model to test eGPUs.

Positively barbaric.

I had forgotten what booting from a 5400 rpm HDD was like. Coming from a couple 12 core MP with PCIE SSDs is night and day.

You sure do get to see lots more spinning beach balls. Already ordered a T6 security bit and a housing for a 256 blade I have from rMBP.

Can't wait til someone stocks the PCIE blade cable.

Really no fun on old HDD. If Apple wanted to punish people for being cheap, they succeeded.

13. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, even the 2012 Mini didn't have one.
    I bought one 2nd hand - no problem.
    Apple probably saw from their telemetry data that few people were using it.
    Or they saw that a lot of people were using it and saw a business opportunity.

Which one you consider to be more likely probably depends on how cynic your world-view is ;-)

14. Darby67 macrumors 6502

I don't think the remote shipped with the Mini since ~2009 version. Got a few of the old white ones floating around the house.