Education Discounting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nyy8, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Im not sure were to put this? Since it is with apple in general, I saved up my money now for 2 or 2 and a half years have gotten 1,567 dollars. In order to maybe pinch my pennyies, since I am in middle school. Do I qualify for a education discount? On apple computers.

2. DroidRules macrumors 65816

As far as I know they only offer educational discounts for particular schools.... Middle schools not being one of them BUT I may be and am probably wrong. It appears here http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing it's only higher learning institutions but someone else may be able to chime in with better, more accurate info. IF you have a student in the family or a friend of the family in college, maybe have them buy it with their discount. I would also wait for the back to school deals as this year the wife got $100 gift card to the mac/app store. Used to give out touches but I for one was happier with the card.

Great job on saving your $ and buing your own expensive items. My kids will pass our (the parent's) savings in about a year or so..... wish my parents would of pushed saving on me lol. Of course they get most of their money from me.... guess if I need a low interest loan I know where to go!!

3. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

4. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Thanks, well I think I just answered my own question.

Only reason I want a iMac is because of the topping on the cake. I have a iPad 2 and Iphone 4. Now just wanting the device to put it all together :)

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Don't blame you, at all. Have you considered a Mac mini? It would leave you a chunk of change to save for something else.

6. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Yeah I was, but I need a monitor. Plus be nice to have the entire computer built all into one. None of that wire mess. From what i see on the reviews, its one cable?

7. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yep! I understand that, too. With my Mac mini, DirecTV box, router and other gadgets, I've had to hide cables everywhere.

With my mini, though, I use a Panasonic LCD TV as my monitor.

8. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

May I ask why you need the monitor?

Given that you're in middle school, I'd say a laptop would be very useful moving forward. I know you have an ipad, but why not consider a macbook pro?

9. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

They were referring to the Mac mini, it doesn't come with one.

10. terraphantm, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2011

terraphantm macrumors 68040

Honestly, if you already have a decent computer and are near driving age, I highly recommend simply saving that money.

I got all sorts of gadgets and computer stuff when I was middle school, and while it was cool at the time, I really regretted when I was 16 since I was the only kid in my class without a car (though my parents did buy me one in my senior year since I got into every college I applied to and was offered a $15k+/year scholarship from all the private schools)

While $1500 doesn't get you much of a car (especially these days), if you can stop yourself from buying stuff over the next few years, that $1500 could possibly turn into $15,000 or so. I know in theory you would still have a potential $13,500 if everything else stayed the same, but in my experience it doesn't work like that. Psychological thing I guess... I find it much easier to save money when I already have a "large" sum saved up.