Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Im not sure were to put this? Since it is with apple in general, I saved up my money now for 2 or 2 and a half years have gotten 1,567 dollars. In order to maybe pinch my pennyies, since I am in middle school. Do I qualify for a education discount? On apple computers.

DroidRules

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2010
As far as I know they only offer educational discounts for particular schools.... Middle schools not being one of them BUT I may be and am probably wrong. It appears here http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/education_routing it's only higher learning institutions but someone else may be able to chime in with better, more accurate info. IF you have a student in the family or a friend of the family in college, maybe have them buy it with their discount. I would also wait for the back to school deals as this year the wife got $100 gift card to the mac/app store. Used to give out touches but I for one was happier with the card.

Great job on saving your $ and buing your own expensive items. My kids will pass our (the parent's) savings in about a year or so..... wish my parents would of pushed saving on me lol. Of course they get most of their money from me.... guess if I need a low interest loan I know where to go!!

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Thanks, well I think I just answered my own question.

Those eligible to purchase from the Apple Store for Education Individuals include faculty, staff, students and parents as follows:

K12 - Any employee of a public or private K-12 institution in the United States is eligible, including homeschool teachers. In addition, school board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members are eligible. PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers are eligible.

Higher Education - Faculty and staff of Higher Education institutions in the United States; and students attending, or accepted into a Higher Education institution in the United States are eligible to purchase. Purchases from the Apple Store for Education Individuals are not for institutional purchase or resale.

Higher Education Parents - Parents purchasing on behalf of their child, who is a student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States, are eligible to purchase.

Only reason I want a iMac is because of the topping on the cake. I have a iPad 2 and Iphone 4. Now just wanting the device to put it all together :)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Thanks, well I think I just answered my own question.

Only reason I want a iMac is because of the topping on the cake. I have a iPad 2 and Iphone 4. Now just wanting the device to put it all together :)

Don't blame you, at all. Have you considered a Mac mini? It would leave you a chunk of change to save for something else.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Yeah I was, but I need a monitor. Plus be nice to have the entire computer built all into one. None of that wire mess. From what i see on the reviews, its one cable?

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Yeah I was, but I need a monitor. Plus be nice to have the entire computer built all into one. None of that wire mess. From what i see on the reviews, its one cable?

Yep! I understand that, too. With my Mac mini, DirecTV box, router and other gadgets, I've had to hide cables everywhere.

With my mini, though, I use a Panasonic LCD TV as my monitor.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
May I ask why you need the monitor?

Given that you're in middle school, I'd say a laptop would be very useful moving forward. I know you have an ipad, but why not consider a macbook pro?

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
May I ask why you need the monitor?

Given that you're in middle school, I'd say a laptop would be very useful moving forward. I know you have an ipad, but why not consider a macbook pro?

They were referring to the Mac mini, it doesn't come with one.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Honestly, if you already have a decent computer and are near driving age, I highly recommend simply saving that money.

I got all sorts of gadgets and computer stuff when I was middle school, and while it was cool at the time, I really regretted when I was 16 since I was the only kid in my class without a car (though my parents did buy me one in my senior year since I got into every college I applied to and was offered a $15k+/year scholarship from all the private schools)

While $1500 doesn't get you much of a car (especially these days), if you can stop yourself from buying stuff over the next few years, that $1500 could possibly turn into $15,000 or so. I know in theory you would still have a potential $13,500 if everything else stayed the same, but in my experience it doesn't work like that. Psychological thing I guess... I find it much easier to save money when I already have a "large" sum saved up.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.