Education nominee Betsy DeVos says school might need guns.....to stop grizzly bears

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Jan 18, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Talk about diversion and hehe aren't I witty? Devos. :rolleyes:

Anyone here like the idea of taking money out of the public school system so people can send their kids to private school? Imo, if you support public schools, you can't afford to slash its funding and expect it to remain effective to subsidize private schools.

3. SusanK macrumors 68000

The only way I will support taking funds from public school is if they kick it back on my real estate tax. :)

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Hey, hey, hey, I'm only in school because I'm smarter than the average bear.

[​IMG]

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

Wyoming.....anyways she said it should be up to the school to determine police.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

They should put up a "Bear free zone " sign.......

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

That and that States should have the say even regarding Federal law to ensure disabled children have education opportunities. Plus she seemed to be out of the loop regarding issues associated with education and measuring student progress. Not inspiring for someone looking to run the Dept of Education.

Plus, if I'm not confused, "gun free" schools I think don't have anything to do with police or security guards, but private citizens toting weapons into schools.

9. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I grew up in Connecticut, and we actually had a few bears around the neighborhood.

They're generally very peaceful animals, only get agitated of their cubs are threatened... aside from eating garbage cans and gas grills.

Guns probably aren't necessary to defend schools from bears. That sounds like the job of the local police authorities. Maybe pepper spray would be a more reasonable choice of a ton of screaming students.

10. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The woman is a danger to public education. She has never been an educator, and knows nothing about education. She has opened so called charter schools, all of which have failed miserably (while taking money from public schools), because she doesn't understand how education works, or how schools should work.

11. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Exactly. How can someone who never attended public schools herself, never sent any of her own children to one either, and never has been a teacher in one, understand what is needed or how to run one?

Especially when she sounds uneducated herself with her grizzly remark. The women is highly inappropriate for the job. One of the worst cabinet picks in an already deplorable lot.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

As if that's the good reason to not approve her.

How about the fact that she doesn't understand about growth vs proficiency?

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Yeah, they should probably withdraw that dingbats name.

14. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

While I could understand some schools needing protection from bears, obviously the question was more about school shootings.

I would suggest teachers invite her to take a tour, sit in on a few classes, & have sit down meetings with staff in their schools. Can't say DeVos will accept, much less learn anything, but it's worth a shot.

I have a fairly conservative friend who was in a management position at some company, and he voluntarily shadowed some employees to find out what their jobs entailed so he actually knew how to manage them, what to keep, what to change, etc. That's a manager I can respect. DeVos doesn't seem to have nor want that kind of firsthand knowledge. I just wish she had experience working in a school, regardless of whether its public, private or charter. I'd prefer it if she was both a teacher and administrator positions, and maybe support staff/paraprofessional experience, too.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Pretty sure she likes her ivory tower.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Makes you wonder why Trump picked her considering she gave money to Bush and Fiorina.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

She's got deep pockets. He doesn't like common core. She doesn't either and is big on charter schools. Another institution (DOE) he can screw with.

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hell, who does like common core? lol

19. samcraig macrumors P6

Agreed. I am definitely of two minds though when it comes to charter schools. Especially here in NYC.

20. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I actually like common core, and I'm a teacher. It's not a lock-step thing. Just means everyone is covering the same objectives within similar courses.

21. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The principles behind common core are good. The implementation has been a disaster and the continued reliance on high stakes testing is a continuing problem with the standards.

22. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It's sorta funny how that article goes to great length to dissect what she said. That school doesn't have a gun. There are bears in the area. There really is a fence to keep bears out. Even if a bear attacked a gun might not work. I guess use a spear then o_O
    I've got news for the anti-gun snowflakes...a "gun free zone" sign is not going to stop Joe Psychopath from killig people. But a properly trained adult with a gun just might.

23. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Sorry, dear. Meet the new Secretary of Education, Besty DeVos! :D

24. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

sucks you hate children

25. BoxerGT2.5, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Well you're in the minority. lol