Edward Snowden interview

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by macs4nw, May 30, 2014.

1. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Did anyone catch that interview with Snowden on NBC the other night? And has it changed your mind about him?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I didn't catch it, but hopefully it's available online somewhere.

Through the past year of all this, I still haven't figured out how I feel about what he did. I see pros and cons on both sides of the issue which makes it quite the quandary for me.

3. arjo macrumors member

arjo

NBC put it up in six parts (no idea why they broke it out, but whatever): http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/edwa...me-special-inside-mind-edward-snowden-n117126

I'll reserve my comments until after I watch the interview.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Didn't see any of it yet. Just set my DVR to record a one hour MSNBC special tonight at 9 EDT.

Still have a small bit of an open mind but I lean towards he's a traitor even though I'm glad he blew open the NSA.

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I watched the NBC interview last night. Seems like the six parts were so they could slam us with adverts from Chase bank. The whole thing ran together, with the adverts separating them.

It didn't help me one way or another in how I feel about it. It's a real paradox.

On one hand, I think most of us always suspected, in the back of our minds, that the NSA was collecting data and watching us all along in some fashion anyway. Now it's confirmed and in the open. Snowden should be applauded for showing that the NSA was doing these things, invading citizens lives and privacy. Of course the big argument is whether what they were doing was legal or not.

On the other hand, the exposure he created could, and may have, compromised certain national security cases in which where actual bad guys were being surveilled. Now they probably are taking new actions to avoid detection where before, they probably were a little more careless about it. For that, it seems treasonous and he should be arrested for it.

I don't know what to think.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Succinctly stated explication of the complexity of the situation.

I agree it is not some simple black and white situation.

7. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

which only adds to the interest

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Saw most of it, and no, it didn't change my mind.