Edwards is out

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by KingYaba, Jan 30, 2008.

1. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Just saw it on Drudge...
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UG8ANG0&show_article=1

>>DENVER (AP) - Democrat John Edwards is exiting the presidential race Wednesday, ending a scrappy underdog bid in which he steered his rivals toward progressive ideals while grappling with family hardship that roused voters' sympathies but never diverted his campaign, The Associated Press has learned.

I think most of us saw this coming.

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I was expecting at this point he would still be in at least through Feb. 5.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Probably can't afford it. Glad he's come to his senses.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Strange he's gone before Super Tuesday. What happens to the delegates that pledged to support him now? Do they get to vote for someone else, or are their votes just discounted?

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not surprised that he dropped out of the race.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im wondering it too. http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/1/27/12642/1282

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Word is that Giuliani is also set to drop out and endorse McCain.

8. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I wonder if he decides to endorse someone, will his delegates take that into consideration?

This could be a huge boost for Obama and push the delegate count within 30 if you're counting the Super Delegates (who are free to change their minds at any time). Or, it could push Hillary out in front and influence next week...

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I do think His endorsement right now will have huge influence. But I don't see him doing it.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

This is why I hate the US primary system. So now, voters in every state except for a couple don't get to vote for Giuliani, Edwards, Thompson, etc. For some unfathomable reason the parties think it's ok for Iowa and NH to have more say in this process than the rest of us. :rolleyes: And then they have the nerve to discount the delegates from states that move up their primaries so as to make them relevant! I shouldn't frequent this part of MR... just makes me mad. :p

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Capital "H"? You mean Jesus? Well yes, if Jesus endorsed someone, it probably would have a huge influence. :)

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Thanks for your contribution, Im atheist. lol

13. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah, it does seem a bit rubbish. Maybe just have one Super Tuesday and leave it at that. That's a much better idea.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I agree. If the general election were held this way people would go ballistic, and I bet the courts would say it unconstitutionally deprived people of their right to an equally weighted vote.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, but there's that pesky tenth amendment.

16. v-ault macrumors regular

YES YES YES YES YES YES

Not only is this great news for my ears, so I'll never have to hear his patronizing shtick anymore... but this is a major help to Obama...

YES!

Never again shall I hear the words of "Two Americas."

"There are 850 million veterans sleeping under bridges tonight..."

...and let us not forget...

"I'm the son of a MILL WORKER!!!!!"

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not really. The system as it exists now has its problems to be sure, but it does force the candidates into retail politics, meaning actually meeting and talking with people. I think you learn a lot about candidates this way. A one-day national primary without any smaller states coming first would mean a national campaign consisting almost entirely of television advertising. If you've ever seen any of these national TV campaigns ads, I don't think you view this approach as a better idea.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yeah, people in a handful of states. And the rest of us can go screw ourselves for all the candidates care.

19. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Ah, "Tis but a truism . . . "

Don't make me go there! :cool:

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

Edwards would be a horrible choice for VP

I just hope Edwards doesn't do what everyone has assumed he will, which is sell his support to whichever candidate wants to make him VP.

Edwards would make a very weak, bad president and when the two leading candidates are a black man and a woman you have to figure that whomever is VP has a better than 50/50 chance of being president before the four year term ends.

Assassination is a serious possibility here that should be seriously considered and whether it ends up being Obama or Hillary, the candidates should take a long hard look at the chain of succession below them.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

One method would be to keep the current primary system but somehow manage to keep the results of each primary secret until the conventions...

It would force the campaigns to do what they do now, but has the benefit of keeping "frontrunners" unknown...

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would just get rid of the primary system all together an have one big vote on election day with all the candidates in it.

This is turning into a 3 person race, McCain, Hillary, and Obama.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Whatever this means...

At least the candidates have to practice some retail politics somewhere in the country. You seem to be saying that it would be better if they did this not at all. Or are you? Hard to tell.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The candidates only go after the big states, they don't care about the small states that don't give them votes. They pick and choose who to go after.

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i wonder when/if Edwards will choose to endorse, his timing will be crucial i'm sure