EE 4G Speed Slower than Three's 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Beanoir, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Beanoir macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

And they're charging extra for it!

This isn't good news for those that bought the iPhone 5 and moved to Orange/EE with the promise of faster speeds etc etc...

Glad I stayed on 3 now ;)

2. Westyfield2 macrumors 6502a

Trying to work out where 51 degrees North is... London in line with the M4 coridoor isn't it?

Might be useful if you give us your location and actual speeds, as it's all just going to be location specific. It can even just be down to one busy cell, in the middle of Bath I've seen O2 grind to a halt and Orange/Three getting 8meg down and 2meg up on HSPA.

3. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Sorry, London and Essex (work and home) so yes, in line with M4 but the other side of London.

I get between 8mb being the lowest generally, and upto 19mb is the fastest i've recorded on at least 3 occasions looking at my speedtest app. I'd say on average i'm getting about 12-14mb.

I think its becasue Three use HSPA+ and the iPhone5 takes advanatge of that technology where previous generation iPhones couldn't?

4. Furifo macrumors 6502

Almost! Three use DC-HSPA+ - the only iOS devices capable of accessing this are the iPhone 5 and iPad 3+4.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Do giffgaff use DC-HSPA+? Because I may consider going back to 3 if they're considerably faster.

6. Steven. macrumors regular

On average I get a download speed of about 19mbps on Three, so very happy with that.

Plus £36 for 500mb of data, or as much as £56 for 8GB data on EE? I'll stick with my £15 for unlimited data on Three!

It's a no brainer.

7. Furifo macrumors 6502

Not too sure. I think it depends on the area. I had to switch from Three to O2 recently due to getting no service from Three in places where I REALLY needed service. In areas of good coverage, however, my speeds on Three were double what they are on O2 (I suspect giffgaff would have similar speeds due to using O2 networks). For example, in my parent's house I used to get 14 down on Three whereas now, I get 7 down on O2 in the same location at roughly the same time.

If you're in an area where Three has good coverage, you really cannot fault them. They have excellent prices and a fast 3G network as well as offering unlimited data.

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

Thats £36 for a 24 month SIM ONLY!!!!

If you want 500mb on a 12 month deal its a whooping £46. I think they misunderstand the point of sim only, people dont want to be tied into a lengthy contract. 12 months is at a push but most of us want a 30 day rolling.

For less money I can get the one plan on three, 30 day rolling, unlimited data and enough texts and minutes that it may as well be unlimited. Plus, no slow down when you use a lot of data.

Three have DC-HSPA but only on the M3 corridor, the rest of the UK is HSPA+. Which is still faster than EE's 4G.

9. dchao macrumors 6502a

FWIW

Cheapest Unlimited SIM-only on Three is £9.90.

(SIM 200 + unlimited data add-on)

And I get 10-15 mb/s in London on my iPad 3

10. aldude macrumors member

Wrong, those are for plans with phone. The sim free plans are £15 pcm less, 12 month contract, but you can't order them til nov 9. So, sim free 500mb will be £21 a month for 12 months, 1gb £26 etc. Still not cheap mind.

11. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

SO what is EE/Orange's big selling point on 4G then, I just don't get it, they only offer 4G in 11 cities and even where they do it's not even as fast as other competitors 3G!?

Surely it's a no-brainer!?

12. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

whats your upload on LTE?
    typical the upload on LTE cant be matched by hspa+/DC-HSPA+

I wonder why people in europe report such slow LTE. Here I get 50 mbps almost always. and 25mbps upload. When The services is new.. you should be getting even higher speeds since there is less users/more bandwidth.

maybe they just didnt expect that many people to join LTE so quick?

13. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Our speeds in the UK are nowhere near what people are getting in the US or indeed in a lot of Europe, and that also goes for demestic broadband services too, we are way behind in that respect.

Upload i'm getting around 3-4mb which if i'm honest is fine because I don't really upload much and certainly not big files from a smartphone. Having said that, it's still better than my home broadband which is less than 2mb!!

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

you know us Americans... always in a hurry for some reason.... ;)

you're right 3/4 is more than enough..especially for mobile.
    just crazy.. growing up I remember in the UK and most of Europe they did away with using dialup and old copper lines. Because it was much more efficient to use highspeed internet (back when 600kbps-1.0 mbps was highspeed)... and we were mostly all on Dial up over here lol Its changed a lot in the last 20 years

15. Jon the hat macrumors member

I think the EE quoted speeds have to be very very conservative. I am getting 18Mbps download and 1.91Mbps upload on EE 3G on my iphone 5 in Surrey right now.

16. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Thats a first! I'd be interested to see some actual download speeds for 4G

17. Jon the hat macrumors member

I've been getting these speeds at work since i got my iPhone 5. Get 12+ at home as well.

18. dchao macrumors 6502a

You won't see the true speed of LTE on your iP5.

When iPad 4 arrives in the UK, you should see 40+ down and 30+ up easily. If EE have enough bandwidth.

19. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

I don't use an iPad...thats why I posted in the iPhone forum...

20. Mr.C macrumors 601

What makes the iPad 4 better then the iPhone 5 in this respect. Do you have a link to actual evidence.

21. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

???:confused:

[​IMG]

22. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

How about about on your iPhone?

23. d123, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

d123 macrumors 68000

d123

Why? That is an EE 4G speed test on a 4G phone. You stated that EE 4G is slower than 3, my screenshot shows your assertion to be incorrect. EE speeds on 4G are double the best speeds on 3UK.

I wouldn't use EE 4G in my personal phone, not because of the speeds, which are pretty fast, their crap expensive plans and stupid data caps are more of a problem, not their speeds.

24. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Some staff at EE (T-Mobile in particular) seemed to imply that they would be capping the speed at 12mbps, rather than just saying that was the typical maximum speed.

I think this has lead people to think the speed is lower than the 3G networks can provide now.

Both T-Mobile and Orange extensively cap speeds on their 3G networks, so it looked like that would continue.

25. Beanoir thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beanoir

Well I have to say, i've seen a few people testing it out in London today, and not one person managed over 20mbits. I'm not debating your evidence, i'm just saying, i'm basing my reports on that, and what the BBC tested in a real world interview today in Manchester.

If it was 40mbits and it covered more than 5% of the UK and it wasn't ridiculously priced, then yes i'd probably have a slice of the 4G action, but it's not worth it as it currently stands.