Eeeek! Did I just erase photos in iPhoto that were masters for Aperture?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by coop, Mar 25, 2013.

1. coop macrumors member

I spent most of yesterday using the Photosweeper Lite app getting rid of extra photos. I had no room on my hard drive and got rid of 100 GB's of photos. The problem was that I sometimes had 500 plus of the same photo in Aperture. I am really not sure what was happening, but I needed to clean up all the extra photos I had.

Anyway, I went into Aperture today and created a folder on my backup drive for photos that I did not need to streamline my photos and reduce the amount it takes up on my main hard drive. When I went to move the photos (drag and drop) over to the hard drive or onto my desktop, I am unable to move my older photos. How can I tell if the masters were in the iPhoto library I just deleted? Also, I can recover it from time machine, correct?

Please let me know if you need more information.

2. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Assuming you are using the latest version of iPhoto it is possible to share the photo Library with Aperture. To see if this is the case from the menu choose File>Switch to Library. The current selected photo library will be highlighted in my case it shows as Aperture Library.aplibrary - which is the Aperture Library as mine are linked.

In Aperture do the same thing File > Switch to Library and see if it linked to the same Library.

If they are linked then if you deleted the photo's in iPhoto, then they will be gone in Aperture. You may see thumbnails in Aperture of the photo's you have deleted, which explains when you try to move them you get an Error.

In Aperture if you select an image and press M, it will show the original image (if it is still there).

If you have deleted the photos, you can recover them with Time Machine.

3. coop thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I only see aperture library when I switch libraries in Aperture and 1 Aperture and 2 iPhoto libraries when I try it in iPhoto.

I am not sure what is happening, but am thinking just incase I should pull my old iphoto library out of time machine and onto my regular back up drive.

I kept some photos in iPhoto and I found a few which show up in both in iPhoto and Aperture. I can drag the photo out of iPhoto, but not out of Aperture.

4. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

It sounds like Preview generation is turned off in Aperture. When you drag a photo out from Aperture it is only the jpg preview that is moved out, rather than the original image. If you need a full resolution file you need to use the Export function.

Go to the Preferences > Previews tab. There's an option "New projects automatically generate previews". The state of that determines if preview generation is turned ON or OFF for each new project created.

Now go look at a project that you're trying to drag from. In the Library tab, at the top is a gear menu. Open that and the last option is "Maintain previews for project". That is the option that is either turned on or off with each new project depending on the status of the setting in preferences.

If you find that it's off, you can turn it on to maintain previews automatically. If you want to turn it on (or off) for every existing project, choose the Project view (again from the Library tab) and under the gear menu the choice will now read "Maintain previews for all projects". Use that to toggle it on or off for all projects.

Finally if you want to take manual control, you can select any image(s) and choose menu Photos > Generate Preview (or Update Preview). That will generate the preview JPEG that you can drag to the desktop.