Effects of iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eeguh, Oct 15, 2012.

1. eeguh macrumors member

So i just got my iphone two days ago. My friends asked me about it and i showed it to them. Never bragged about it or even intended to show it to them unless i needed to use it (just a phone in the end). Already before i even showed it to them, they were criticizing it...especially those who owned Galaxy S3 and even the 4/4S guys. I just responded sarcastically saying, "thanks."

I think they're all great phones. I just happened to choose the one that i liked the best. I can see some do it to tease but wow, i didn't know a phone can rile up such emotions. it's like they have something serious against the iphone. i'd totally deserve it if i was being a jerk about owning the iphone or trashing other phones but wow. It's a phone for crying out loud. lol anybody with a similar experience?

2. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

As long as you like it that's all that matters. :apple:

3. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

That's the way my friends use to be but now they all either have iPhones or want one after dealing with crashes or their phone being outdated in 3 months

4. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

In the end they're the ones who want the phone but don't have the means to get it. Apple maps is software which means the 4 and 4S guys have it, it is faster than the S3 and arguably runs better OS the only downside is the screen is smaller. Scuffgate won't affect you unless you just happen to rub your phone up against another metal which you shouldn't anyway. So there is nothing to criticize.

5. VulchR, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Welcome to the downside of the Apple user experience. This kind of thing used to go on all the time when the Macintosh first came out. Those of us who bought it were subjected to all sorts of nonsense from people who owned PC's or worked in IT services. Ultimately I came to the conclusion that most of these people felt threatened in some way: the PC guys worried that they had misspent their money and the IT services guys were worried about losing their jobs (Mac's required far less support than PC's in those days). Obviously the situation is different with respect to mobile phones, but I think as long as phones are a status symbol, insecure people will criticize irrationally the choices that others make. The problem is determining which criticisms of the iPhone are fair (Maps at the moment) and which are bogus (purple lens flare).

In any case, the obvious reply to people putting you down about a mobile phone is simply 'It suits me.' Nobody can argue with that.

EDIT: @eeguh: Welcome to MacRumors!

6. Aniseedvan macrumors 65816

I'm expecting to cop it big time and at least to start with it'll be hiding in my old samsung case.

Different phones for different needs, but i know after being a supporter of android for some time i'll be getting it the neck for switching.

But anyone with half a brain that knows me will realise how much the ipad is welded to me all the time so for my needs and usage at this moment in time, i want to keep it all in the same place.

So i hear ya, and i haven't even got my phone yet!!

7. ZipZap macrumors 603

Your friends are right. Apple did cop out on screen size.

8. Kissaragi, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2012

Kissaragi macrumors 68020

I never really understand it, they act like they are somehow threatened by the iPhone. I suppose its partly a fashion thing now too, its cool to hate on apple.

I await the day people start shouting insults at other peoples toasters. "dude, youve only got 5 browning settings? My morphy richards has 6! Your toaster sucks"

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Personal experience, people with android phones are like phone natzi's. For some reason, they need to badger other people and try to "justify" their purchase. I work with two of these people.

10. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

It's like 2 rival sports teams and each side has devoted fans and the games are played on a daily basis!

11. Breitling65 macrumors 6502

Samsung? :) I sold my about 3 years old, used as hell by my son, scratched iphone4 for $140 in 10 min on Craiglist, it was line of 50 people behind this buyer. Can anyone repeat same success with Galaxy-Shmalaxy? :)

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Most of the people I know have iPhones. I'd say upwards of 3/4. Maybe more. Some of the friends who have Androids have been trying to convince me to convert. I took a look at the SG3 and the Note 2. Not my cup of tea. Can't deal with the color temperature on Android devices. Looks horrible. And as great as Jellybean is, the OS still doesn't feel anywhere near as fluid as my iPhone.

13. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

My friends have never ask me what phone I'm carrying, and I have never asked them of theirs either. I never show it off. Must be a kid thing for bragging. :confused:

14. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You're a victim of your demographic. In the world as a whole, nobody cares.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's subjective. While it would have been nice to have two sizes to choose from, Apple didn't cop-out.

16. dk206 macrumors regular

Well it isn't anything new. Apple just sells underpowered devices overpriced lol
    But still I love the build quality maybe that's why its so overpriced :)

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's normal for adults to discuss the objects they use in life, not for bragging rights, but for curiousity and comparison. Its no different than discussing the relative merits of ones TVs, cars, plumbers, schools they are considerig sending their children to, computers, motorcycles, vacation spots, electricians, CPAs, etc. To dismiss this as a kid thing, is overly smug and condescending.

18. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I'd say more likely the fact that some people are very status-conscious (and thanks to overblown advertising, from an early age) and others are not. If the OP feels that he's being judged for his choice, then that's not what you're talking about (i.e. discussing the relative merits of an item.) Judgmental behavior and rational discussion do not play well together and age isn't necessarily relevant.

19. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

If you have to worry about people criticizing your phone, then you have issues no one on this site can help you with!

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I was responding to 3rd Rock who implied that asking your friends about their phones is a childish thing to do. Rather than something you do when researching smartphones.

21. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

It's fallout from how humanity is evolving. It's sad really. As a whole, we no longer define ourselves on our beliefs and morals (and those who do tend to be wacky about it), we define ourselves based on monetary traits, economic status and physical objects we can obsess over.

It's no longer, "A man is down, what can I do to pick him up" it's "A man is down, I better step on him on my way to the top so that he surely can't get back up".

Perhaps this is a presumptious and largely macro idea for a seemingly basic exchange between "friends" but it's really not too far from the fact and I'm sure plays a part in how your "friends" treated you when threatened with the thought of "Hugee just got something BETTER (possibly) than I've got".

22. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

It certainly is polarizing.

A friend who always places his phone on the table or bar in front of him gets a steady stream of comments.
    Complete strangers stop and gawk:

Hey is that the new iPhone 5?
    Is it scratched yet?
    How do you like it, I hear it's got major problems?
    I think my 'fill in the blank' is so much better.

It is a dude magnet. If he wanted to pick up guys that's the way to go.

At a large pizzeria two couple with three young girls in tow were eating and chatting.
    Both guys had their Androids out, one commenting on the other's screen size and the former trashing Apple.
    Both kids we giggling at them as one was texting on her Touch and the other was playing a game with ear buds on.
    The ladies were debating the merits of the Macy's local department store.

Almost as funny as the Nike Adidas sneaker wars.

23. raptorstv macrumors 6502

[/COLOR]If I meet a Samsung troll... This is what I usually tell 'em: "if samsung galaxy s3 or note 2 were to be the exact same screen size, which one would u rather choose? Obviously, the iPhone! The only thing that android phones got going are their larger screen sizes. They dont compare with Apple in terms of build quality."

24. wookiee2cu macrumors member

Usually when people start throwing out comments like that for no reason it's because in actuality they are unhappy with theirs and to make themselves feel better about their decision they bash others, it’s lame. My friends used to tease me about my iPhones (3G, 4 & now 5) but now almost all of them have an iPhone and love it.

25. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a