Egyptian Police Deliberately Target Protesters' Eyes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Merkava_4, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Merkava_4, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

This story is particularly disturbing to me. I read this last night and can't stop thinking about it. Deliberately targeting someone's eyes is about as bad as it gets. To purposely injure someone in such a way to drastically affect someone's life in such a horrible way takes a special kind of evil. At least when you kill someone, they don't have to suffer the consequences of a permanent debilitating injury for the rest of their life.

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 3

LINK 4

LINK 5

LINK 6

2. Big-TDI-Guy, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013

Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

While I believe that's messed up - I'm not sure most people would rather be dead - than disabled. I know some people would - but I'd imagine the majority would rather be alive.

Humans are remarkable at adapting to changes - both internal, and external.

Was there any justification for the firing upon protestors like that? I.E. was non-lethal force ineffective? (like people wearing clothing to defeat the effect of a rubber bullet?) Did the crowd turn violent against the enforcers? I'm not saying that makes things OK - but there must be some reason behind this.

EDIT: For some reason, I was under the impression they were using non-lethal force -it looks more like that was not the case. I seem to have misinterpreted the first link I read. If it was a military directive to "shoot to blind" - that's a different area. That's the type of thing you'd hope no military / enforcement force would ever try to do. Glad they're not aware of truly effective ways to blind people - hint - my avatar. Same devices that guide munitions have the exact properties to blind people - without them knowing it until it's too late. (invisible wavelength) I've always wondered if they've ever been used that way in active theaters...

3. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

You only read one link? I read all six links before I posted them. It's real simple: they're aiming directly at people's eyes and firing rubber bullets. Many of the protesters have lost their eyes.

4. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

It should be noted that the incidents mentioned in the linked stories (that I looked at) are from late 2011. Which is not to say that the army would employ different crowd control methods today, especially since it is the same organization. But at least any new protesters can prepare themselves with goggles and head gear, since the stories have been published.

5. elistan macrumors 6502a

It should also be noted that the stories are about the Interior Ministry’s Central Security Forces, under control of Mubarak, not the army. I'm not expert in what's going on in Egypt, but my impression was the two are very different organizations, and are viewed in two very different ways by the populace. I'm not sure the CSF even exists anymore today.

6. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ah, good point, I should have looked closer. I always assumed the army was the Egyptian police force.

7. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

You are correct the CSF does not exist anymore. That is shameful regardless. But when you see the weapons used on either side, there is no real winner here...:(