Egypt's Mubarak defends security forces as chaos engulfs Egypt

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jan 28, 2011.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sounds like the people have had enough:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/sns-ap-ml-egypt-protest,0,6770290.story

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've been watching coverage all day long and I have to say that this is not doing anything but terrorizing the cities.

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That tends to be what happens with this kind of thing.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed it is.

6. Peterkro, Jan 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I hope you're not serious,in spite of 25 deaths(75 and rising) and over a thousand serious injuries this is nothing compared to the structural violence that occurs in Egypt everday. This is a working class uprising embracing all men,women,children,Islamists,Coptics,the left,the unions,the Palestinians,the intellectuals,the students,the conscripted police,the conscripted army,etc. I wouldn't claim victory yet but Eygpt will never be the same as it was yesterday and nothing Europe,Israel or the U.S. can do to stop it.(they may of course install their pet oppositionist politician but that will not last)

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They can always send in Tony Blair to spout some pious platitudes.

8. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

He already has,it's a competion between him and Clinton as to who can support Mubarak whilst appearing to support the people.An interesting sideline is that the Army,the Police and the people are joining together to protect the Cairo museum which is very close to the burning government parties headquarters.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sounds like it's all but over if they have all joined forces.

10. 184550 Guest

It was my impression from reading the coverage that while the Egyptian people respect the Army, they do not like or support the police force.

It was also my impression that civilians had gathered to protect the Museum from the possibility of looting.

NYT Article

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Egypts historical record is a source of great pride and I suspect it is just a pragmatic coalition,they are after all aware of what happened to Baghdads
    treasures when the U.S. military took control.(bangs sarcasim meter)

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I hope so as I visited the museum in 2008. I'd hate to see the reaction on Zahi Hawass's face if something terrible ever happened to the place. It's such a nice place to visit.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Obama spoke briefly. IMO, he seemed to say to Mubarak, leave the protesters alone and we're with you. Not happy.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Anyone else remember seeing The Train?

Same plunder saga.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The BBC says this might be the beginning of a ripple effect type situation. Anyone remember southern Africa in the late seventies, when you had to get a new map about every other day?

Though not exactly directly related, Albania is also showing signs of instability.

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps it is time for The Hague to mandate Term Limits (pick a number, any number), if a government has the audacity to call itself a "democracy"?

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

These things are always best dealt with by the people in the countries concerned. Outside interference, except in the case of ongoing genocide, is extremely undesirable, and usually makes matters considerably worse.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Cutting off electronic communications (Cell Phones, Twitter, etc) may not have been the wisest thing to do. Knowing momentous things are afoot, people will want information, which they can only get by going out, leading to growing crowds in the street. Kobiyashi Maru.

19. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

20. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Just like in Tunisia ... the protestors organized through Facebook. That is why the Egyptian government shut down the Internet a couple of days ago.

The Egyptian people are Fed-up with Mubarek who has been in power for the last 30 years. ... He is all but done and will not be in power for very long.

There is now some concern that the Muslim Brotherhood could gain momentum from this and themselves rise to power.

21. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Looks like several looters managed to break into the Museum (the new one or the old one I don't know) and empty the gift shop while decapitating two mummies and damaging about 10 small artifacts before being caught and detained by army soldiers. LINK

I'm pretty sure that these events are going to massively delay a exhibition of King Tutankhamun's treasure at Pacific Science Center, Seattle in 2012. I'm glad I got to see the contents of the museum in 2008.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow.

I really am speechless on this one.

24. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

This is most likely an older picture taken from a story about Iran and Israel ... not from a story about the crisis going on in Egypt.

how is this post related to or even relevant to what is going in Egypt?

and you are speechless over this picture? ... nice try guys! :cool:

25. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

The DOW is currently down -166 as of Friday Jan 28th. Not sure what the history of it was that day. When was the pic supposed to have been captured?