Ehternet cable- differences?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. macrumors regular

    Dec 6, 2003
    I use SBC Yahoo DSL with a speedstream dsl modem. I changed ethernet cables and suddenly couldnt get connected. When I wwent back to the old cable- it connected just fine. I tried yet another cable and it once again didn't work. The problem I am having is I am trying to connect up a router but apprently I need this special ethernet cable. Looking at the cables the one difference I noticed is the one that worked says 75 (degree sign) while the ones that don't work say 80 (degree sign) are there different kinds of ethernet cable? Not all ethernet cables are the same?
  2. Opteron macrumors 6502

    Feb 10, 2004
    South Australia
  3. candan9019 macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2003
    Ontario-> Louisiana-> Colorado-> Ontario
    There are different kinds of ethernet cable. Is one a cross-over cable? Usually you use a patch cord to link a modem and a router or computer and a cross-over to connect two computers. The difference is the pins on the cross-over are switched at each end. There may be other kinds too.
  4. thread starter macrumors regular

    Dec 6, 2003
    The ends seem the same- they both fit into the dsl modem as well as the router.
  5. Souljas macrumors regular

    Feb 4, 2004
    sorry to go slightly off topic but ive heard theat cat5e can be used for other things rather than just networking, is this true? and what can it do?
  6. lduncan macrumors member

    Jun 17, 2003
    ChCh New Zealand
    Essentially there are two types of ethernet cable, a "patch cable" where all all wires are connected to the same pin number on each end, these are generally the most common. Then there are "crossover cables", which have a couple of the pairs pins transposed, these are generally used for cascading switches or hubs (becoming redundent with most devices supporting polarity sensing and correction). But crossover cables are still used commonly when conecting DSL routers or modems to computers or switches. So i'd say that most likely the cable you need is a "crossover cable".

    In terms of what else Cat5e or Cat6 cabling can be used for, it has been put to uses for which it has not necessarily been designed, such as (analogue) video transmission, and cctv. Most common uses, are data, and phone circuits, along with alarm systems.

  7. pingin macrumors member


    May 9, 2003
    in addition to the other comments:

    - assuming the connectors at the end of the cable are transparent, the easiest way to check whether you have a cross-over cable or a straight cable is to place either end of the cable side by side and note which colour wire goes into which pin (each wire is colour-coded). in a straight cable this will be identical on either side, whereas with a cross-over, you'll notice the coloured wires are connected to different pins on the plug.

    - a second tell tale sign that you have a cross over cable is an X sign - people often label cross-over cables this way to make them easier to spot.

    hope this helps
  8. tomf87 macrumors 65816


    Sep 10, 2003
    Here's the color pinout of cables:

    EDIT: This is looking at the connector with the gold pins facing you and the clip away from you.


    Orange/White, Orange, Green/White, Blue, Blue/White, Green, Brown/White, Brown


    One end will have the colors above and the other end:

    Green/White, Green, Orange/White, Blue, Blue/White, Orange, Brown/White, Brown

    You can usually just look at the first two pins on the left, looking at the pins. If the first two are orange on one connector, and the first two are green on the other connector, it's a crossover.
  9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68030

    Le Big Mac

    Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    As probably becomes clear below, the difference is not the shape, but the ordering of the wires internally. The temp difference is irrelevant to thses purposes.
  10. candan9019 macrumors regular

    Feb 18, 2003
    Ontario-> Louisiana-> Colorado-> Ontario
    I am sorry for the cofusion. I should have explained myself better.
  11. KC9AIC macrumors 6502


    Jan 31, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
    Once you figure out whether a cable is crossover or straight, you should label it. I label with a permanent marker, with a vertical line on the connector body if it's straight, with an X if it's crossover.

Share This Page