Eight Years Ago Today, Steve Jobs Introduced the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacFather, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MacFather, Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015

MacFather macrumors 6502a

MacFather

"every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything"

[​IMG]

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Too bad it was only for AT&T. I had an upgrade on Sprint that year (and no, I was not going to go to AT&T just to get the iPhone) I would have bought one. Instead I had to wait until 2011 for Sprint to even get an iPhone and another year after that for Sprint to get an iPhone I wanted. All those network and slow data issues AT&T had with the various iPhones models released after 2007 made me glad I stayed on Sprint too (AT&T, the customer is the problem, not our sh***y network and refusal to upgrade).

In the meantime my old HTC Touch Pro from 2009 on was doing stuff (picture mail, copy/paste) that the iPhone wasn't.

I applaud the introduction of the iPhone. Just sorry the release was limited to only one carrier.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I still like the design of the original iPhone. I wish they still made one in that size.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

5. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I still have my original in the box. It looks like hell and I can't believe how small it is. Thick as well. It was a great intro to many years of iPhone love.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the original design was great.

7. BriOS macrumors member

My wife got me an original iphone that year for christmas. It changed all our lives. She shortly got onto the smart phone bandwagon, and here we are 8 years later with two ipads, a macbook and two iphones. What a visionary. A dickhead, but still a visionary.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Same, and the battery last maybe an hour.

9. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Ahh.. This reminds me of my phone - the one I was using before the iPhone - in January 2007

ROKR%20E6.jpg

My apologies if I went off-topic here, but I just couldn't resist the nostalgia

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

I never bought the original. At the time I was on Sprint with a flip phone and couldn't fathom why someone would pay $600 for a phone.

8 years later and I'm paying nearly $1000 for an iPhone 6 Plus :apple:

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Same here, since there was no subsidized pricing, slow data speeds, no app store. I was very happy to wait until things firmed up with apple and the technology.

12. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm sure many of us are doing better financially than we were 8 years ago. I seem to recall 2007 being the year everything went to hell in the economy.

Also, our smartphones have gone from "kinda neat" to "indispensable". When something is a huge part of your life, you're willing to spend more on it.

13. EOB macrumors regular

My first "smartphone", I remember when I was a sophomore in high school, even the teachers would not take away my iPhone, instead they would ask me about it and how I liked it. Kept that iPhone until it died on me (sadly it was just 2 years.) I feel old now :(

14. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It's a handheld computer. The phone is no longer the defining feature.

There were other options in that price range for many years beforehand. They were just terrible, hence the small market.

15. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

back when 3.5" devices were massive and browsing through the web whilst pinching and zooming was acceptable; because pocket-ability and in hand experience of a device were way more important features on a phone than web browsing experience back then.
    how far we'd gone.
    I guess it makes sense.
    the way to get someone to use cocaine is to first introduce them to coffee.

a 5.5" phone would have been laughed at and utterly dismissed in 2007.

16. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

My first 'real' smartphone (iphone 3G). I had a blackberry pearl before that but I consider the iPhone to be the first real smartphone I've owned.

17. FieldingMellish Suspended

Mine was a phone made by Palm Computing. I loved that it had my entire phone book of contacts and clicking on one actually dialed the phone.

18. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I was using a Sony/Ericsson w810i when the iPhone was released. I don't get a smartphone until 2010 when the 32GB 3GS was available.

19. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

i was in senior year when iphone came out.
    wanted to get an ipod touch for ages but didnt get a multitouch device until the iphone 3g.

20. Rigby macrumors 601

One for the history books. Such a fantastic presentation. And I remember when I saw him demoing the GUI with pinch-to-zoom, "rubberband" effect, the fluidity of it all, it was obvious something big was happening. I didn't get my own iPhone before the 3G and the app store came out though.

21. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

You know, when I read that, I thought you were talking about your wife. There wasn't much of a transition to SJ (who I assume you were calling a visionary, among other things).

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I still have my original 8 GB, still in excellent shape after 2 years of use, too. Best tech purchase I've ever made.

23. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The master at the peak of his abilities. Never seen a Keynote like it.

24. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

My take on it from day one was "this thing is WAY too small for the OS. Popping the keyboard takes up most of the screen. Cool design but damn! It needs to be about twice as big."

It took Apple 8 years to get around to building one the right size for the software.

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

My favorite phone to date if only because it paid for a semester of college unlocking and selling in ebay haha.