Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Ok... this is a strange question that I'm not willing to experiment with. What happens if you drag your hard drive to the trash. It changes to the eject icon... Hmm if it unmounts the HD... that seems like a problem, or does it power off the machine?

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
hcuar said:
Ok... this is a strange question that I'm not willing to experiment with. What happens if you drag your hard drive to the trash. It changes to the eject icon... Hmm if it unmounts the HD... that seems like a problem, or does it power off the machine?

That is a very good question. I doubt it does anything bad if you drag the HD icon to the trash to 'eject' it; remember Apple designs there stuff very simple. I don't think they would have it where someone who doesn't know computers well could simply drag the icon the trash and something big/bad would happen (erase data, format HD, etc.).

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
I have to eject my external HD before i disconnect it. But if i restart my comp., it will reconize the HD again. So i assume, that if you do this, and it "ejects" your HD, you can just restart, and it will be back.

PeterBonnar

macrumors member
May 23, 2004
England
If you drag you HD to the trash...
Mac OSX asks you to type in the administrator password,
then it comes up with an error saying the disk could not be ejected that it contains items that are in use.

Do you think apple would really design software that could let you wreck your computer so easy?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
It shoots the HD out of the top of the case.

jk, it doesn't let you eject your boot disk

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
FWIW, in OS 9 you can trash your HD after starting up from CD. It will unmount then. I don't know if the disk reappears after restart (but I guess so), cause I continued my planned reinstallation. To do so the HD needed to be initialized.

So follow all these steps and you'll sure get rid of your data (well, in OS9)

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Thanks! I didn't think it would actually let you unmount your boot drive. However, I'm used to Windows which will let you make your boot drive inactive. (Very stupid because it will corrupt the kernel, I've tried it). So... i didn't want to try and "eject" the HD.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Actually, if you unmount an external hard drive, all you have to do to remount it is unplug it from the computer and plug it back in. Or you can go to Disk Utility, select the volume in question, and select "Mount" from the "File" menu. The second trick works for any drive that's unmounted but connected. You can never unmount a disk that has files which are in use--this especially includes your boot disk.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
hcuar said:
Thanks! I didn't think it would actually let you unmount your boot drive. However, I'm used to Windows which will let you make your boot drive inactive. (Very stupid because it will corrupt the kernel, I've tried it). So... i didn't want to try and "eject" the HD.

I booted up my pc into windows and have been trying to "deactivated" my windows boot drive with no luck. I'd say that not even ms isn't that stupid to allow you to do this. Can anyone tell me how I might do this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.