El Capitan to High Sierra

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by MacBookpro2011, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacBookpro2011, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

MacBookpro2011 macrumors member

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro that I have upgraded the HDD to an SSD (what a difference in performance) no more spinnings and fast as a jet :) My current needs are met with El Capitan but I am thinking that going forward at some point my current OS will no longer be able to get updates etc. Is downloading High Sierra worth while just to have an extended life on the update end.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

First check if your apps are supported, at least your most used apps. Browsers and apps from major companies should be mostly fine. Any apps that have not updated by now likely will not get updates. I feel that getting all the security updates is a good reason to update, so I would go for the update and use the machine for as long as possible.

Also keep in mind that iTunes 12.7 and later get rid of iOS apps, you will need to get the special 12.6.3 version if this affects you.

I am fairly sure that El Capitan already has no more updates (3 years old), as any new issue will make Apple just say update to the latest release. 10.14 Mojave will not be supported for your machine so it looks like High Sierra will be the final version for you. If you mange to use High Sierra until the updates end it will be about 10 years, an amazing amount of time.

Make a backup, and try out the newer OS. After about a year most bugs should be fixed, so you should be fine but a backup lets you go back (and always a good idea).

3. beginnersview macrumors member

beginnersview

I would definitely recommend to download the High Sierra from the Mac App Store -- this week or next, while it is still available. Apple sometimes removes prior OS X/Mac OS releases once the new version is officially available. (And there is no way to know in advance which older OS X release Apple will make disappear forever from its publicly available support downloads. Sigh.)

Since the Mojave 10.14 is scheduled for Sep 24 release, it is possible that these next two weeks will be your only chance to easily and officially get 10.13 High Sierra.

Two important thing to note:
    (a) as soon as the 5 GB or so download is finished, it will launch the "Install macOS High Sierra.app", and wait for your confirmation. This is normal Apple OS installer behavior. Just cancel that and close the window.

(b) I would also recommend to move the High Sierra install app to a different folder or at least into a sub folder you create for it. Just to ensure it does not decide to launch itself (for your own good, of course... ) ;-)

This way, having downloaded it, you could also move it off and save it on an external hard drive or flash drive. And Apple would even let you re-download it in the future if needed, once it has logged your official download of the OS 10.13.
    (Though, I have sometimes run into difficulties with trying to re-download an OS X installer version. So best to save it yourself on external drive.)

(my suggestions in addition to the good suggestion provided by user cruisin .)

4. MacBookpro2011 thread starter macrumors member

I came across this morning "Now that High Sierra is available, you should upgrade to High Sierra instead of Sierra. For security and compatibility reasons, Apple always recommends using the latest version of macOS. " It indicates to install it in your applications folder? Would this be sufficient as you had mentioned placing it in a different folder? Thanks for you help, I will do a backup today and get the download done before its gone.

5. kohlson macrumors 68000

High Sierra is downloaded from the App Store. When you download it, it goes to your Application folder. It may start the install process after download, but you can quit out if it. You can move it from there - but it's OK if it stays there - with ⌘-⌥-V.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I'd like to make a suggestion:

BEFORE you attempt to upgrade, do this:
    1. Download either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and use for 30 days)
    2. Use either of the above to create a BOOTABLE cloned backup on an external drive
    3. Once this is done, NOW "upgrade".

WHY do this?
    Because if the upgrade "goes wrong" on you, having a bootable cloned backup makes it child's play to "get back, get back, get back to where you once belonged", by doing this:
    1. Boot from the cloned backup
    2. ERASE the internal drive "back to nothing"
    3. RE-clone the cloned backup BACK TO the internal drive.
    This will "get you back" easily.

If you DO NOT do this, you can still "get back", but it WON'T be "easy".

7. MSastre macrumors 6502

MSastre

Before you install the new OS, I suggest making a bootable USB stick that has the update. Very simple to do with Install Disk Creator. Definitely make a clone of your drive as well with CCC or SuperDuper.