Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Remember all the fun everyone had watching Palm and Apple's legal wordplay regarding multitouch patents? If you missed it, Apple delivered a very thinly veiled threat to Palm, flouting how it had touch-sensitive intellectual rights up the wazoo to protect itself from the competition. Apple, though, may be due for a heaping helping of humble pie, as it's now on the receiving end of a lawsuit from Elan Microelectronics claiming infringement on two patents -- both involving multitouch. Elan, best known for its keypads found in Eee PCs everywhere (along with some other diversions), won a court injunction against Synaptics for infringement on one of those patents, and seems like it may actually have a shot of shaking down the house of Jobs. It's also seeking an injunction against Apple to prevent it from selling the MacBook, iPhone, and iPod Touch until everything gets legally sorted. That seems like a long-shot, but anything could happen. Oh, and Palm corporate officers, try not to look too giddy today, yeah?
Engadget.

Could be a big problem...

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Im glad.

We will see in court, hopefully, rather than paying a settlement again. Is that how apple resolve its patent infringement all the time? Dam boring.

However, since multi-touch is such a big thing with apple, maybe apple can pay 25% of revenue to settle it, each year? :p

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
It's garbage lawsuits like this between businesses, not people suing McDonald's for coffee burns, that are clogging US courts.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
It's garbage lawsuits like this between businesses, not people suing McDonald's for coffee burns, that are clogging US courts.

Did you have the same attitude when you heard Apple potentially wanted to sue Palm? Or, when you heard Apple is suing Psystar? Apple is not the only company that should "protect their IP."

If this is true, I don't expect this to delay any product launches. They will just get a sweet payout and this will be swept under the rug.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Um, yeah you can sue anyone for anything pretty much... but you don't win. Maybe 1 out of 1000 win out of the stupidest cases and you hear about it on the news. Most of them lose actually...

EDIT: And I wrote an article on it and submitted it to MacRumors about this already.

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008
Did you have the same attitude when you heard Apple potentially wanted to sue Palm? Or, when you heard Apple is suing Psystar? Apple is not the only company that should "protect their IP."
Pretty much. My point was a more general complaint about the amount of commercial litigation. People love to cite examples of consumer lawsuits but the truth is that such cases are a tiny fraction of any court's caseload.

That said, IP cases are indeed a major contributor to the problem. The reason is that the law encourages, and in some cases requires, that people litigate to protect their IP.

petermcphee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008

I suggest that you actually find out about the McDonalds coffee case. It was pretty horrific, and McDonalds acted very negligently.

Or, just continue to use that case as a comparator for frivolous cases without knowing anything about it.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I suggest that you actually find out about the McDonalds coffee case. It was pretty horrific, and McDonalds acted very negligently.

Or, just continue to use that case as a comparator for frivolous cases without knowing anything about it.

Things like keeping coffee extra hot, so as to mask the stale flavour, should be caught by food inspectors - not ladies putting coffees between their legs while driving.

But ... that's a "should be". I don't know, kind of a no-win I suppose. At least McD's learned their lesson.

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'm gonna sue McD's for making me fat too! :D

EDIT: Not making fun of anyone. And I don't wanna get ban for saying that. Cause I did get in trouble recently. lol But this one was too good to pass up on. lol

bigmouth

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2008

I suggest you read more carefully before flaming -- you're making some huge assumptions about my beliefs concerning the McDonald's case. My point was that commercial litigation between large companies is what's really clogging our courts.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Pretty much. My point was a more general complaint about the amount of commercial litigation. People love to cite examples of consumer lawsuits but the truth is that such cases are a tiny fraction of any court's caseload.

That said, IP cases are indeed a major contributor to the problem. The reason is that the law encourages, and in some cases requires, that people litigate to protect their IP.

I agree with you then. I just don't agree how Apple is sometimes held above the law around here.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
i wonder what the ratio of companies suing Apple (over a good idea that summed up what they wanted to do but couldn't)

to companies that actually win in court is.

Goona

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2009
Well I doubt it'll stop them, but it could cost them financially, and put a stop to them being buttholes threatening anyone else who wants a multitouch device.

Who have they threatened, they have enough money to fight anybody and Apple gets sued everyday, nothing new.

If this is true, I don't expect this to delay any product launches. They will just get a sweet payout and this will be swept under the rug.

When did Apple say they want to sue Palm, WTF would they even want from a company on the brink of death.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.