Election 2016: Cannabis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Just to "light"en the mood here, nine states are voting on some level of cannabis legalization including five for recreational usage including the 6th largest economy in the world (California).

Thoughts?

Don't care?
    Puff, puff, pass?
    End of the world?

2. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

All of these substances should legalized. I don't care if it's pot or crack. No taxation or regulation needed.

3. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

4. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I never cared about smoking pot but I would definitely vote for legalizing marijuana.
    I am more afraid of drunk people than stoned people. :D

5. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

6. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

I'm all for legalization, especially for recreational usage. I wish the pot heads/enthusiasts would stop lying about medical usage and just come out and say they just want to smoke pot for recreational purposes.

Never tried it as I don't think smoking will be my thing. Tried smoking a cigar once -- it was a Cuban -- and smoking just doesn't do anything for me.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I'm against the legalization of recreational marijuana. I've explained my thoughts numerous times to elaborate. Is it the worst substance in the world, no, but 2 wrongs (the other being alcohol- or 3, nicotine) don't make a right. I do however strongly believe in the decriminazation of weed and restructuring the criminal justice system to not ruin people's life over marijuana and to actually assist people addicted to substances (notably harder drugs but marijuana addiction does happen) rather than create a revolving door at jails and prisons.

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

As an ex weed smoker myself I wouldn't wish to see it legalised. It's not good for your health although I agree for medicinal purposes if prescribed it can be effective with taking the persons kind off pain. However for recreational use I think it's bad news and I've seen first hand how damaging it can be if abused.

Americans can do what they like though ;)

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Even though illegal, those who get and use it for recreational use tend to be the dregs of society. Or if society is imaginary then they are just dregs' dregs.

Let me introduce you to an ex, if you're really sincere. The ex believed nothing was wrong but he believed in all sorts of idiotic things and thought it was okay to treat others-- Meh, you'll eventually call the ex a slimy degenerate sleazebag who is one of the dregs of society too... Or if not that slimeball, I've a close friend who has seen people toke and druggie up their lives away as well. There is a correlation. But if you're saying it's okay for them to go screw over and kill themselves, that's pretty anti-life as well.

11. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

12. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I'd rather my daughters did not take heroin thanks and making it more accessible and socially acceptable is anything but freedom.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I'm against it.

14. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Totally agree. But this thread is about cannabis, not heroin.

I would not say I am for full legalization like Colorado, but I am certainly for decriminalization. Not the way some states have done it now where the weed is non criminal, but if you have rolling papers that is paraphernalia and you get arrested anyway.

Decriminalize personal amounts and paraphernalia to no more than a ticket or confiscation. No one should have their life ruined because of a plant.

Why do I feel this way? Because I have a fraternity brother who got busted with a couple of J's in college. In a very conservative state. He ended up with a record and got kicked out of college. He had 2 options at that point 1) give up and let society take a big dump on him as a convicted criminal or 2) work hard and try to make a life. Fortunately he choose #2 and luckily he had the support of his parents. It took him 15 years to get where most of us were 5 years after graduation but today he is doing fine.

Why did this happen when all he wanted to do was smoke some weed and hang out on his couch on the weekend? Other college kids were getting so drunk they couldn't walk or taking advantage of girls who couldn't say no and that was all ok.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 1, 2016 ---
    Reason?

15. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

My post was in response to somebody who suggest ALL drugs were made legal to give people more freedom, hence Heroin.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Legalize it
    Don't criticize it
    Legalize it, yeah yeah
    And I will advertise it

Some call it tamjee
    Some call it the weed
    Some call it marijuana
    Some of them call it ganja

Never mind, got to legalize it
    And don't criticize it
    Legalize it, yeah yeah
    And I will advertise it

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Prohibition doesn't work for something like weed that you can grow at home so I'm ok with it being legal, but hopefully it gets stigmatized like cigarette smoking has and few people actually take up the habit.

18. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Are you referring to people smoking it being stigmatized or people consuming it period (like edibles)?

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Mostly smoking, I'd like to see research showing if other ways of consuming it are harmful or not before I make up my mind.

20. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I'd support legalizing everything from pot to heroin if the state of Illinois could tax it and stop raising my property taxes to levels that would make some people want to commit suicide.

21. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I do not see the sense in jailing, fining, or otherwise disrupting the lives of people who use or sell cannabis. Make it illegal and the black market in the stuff, with its concomitant violence, will begin to disappear. I do think that driving or operating machinery, firearms, etc. while under the influence of cannabis should be illegal. Also, I think that the places that sell cannabis legally should be liable for the damage the product causes, just like any business. if legalising cannabis causes an upswing in use and this causes an increase in medical issues, then it should be taxed so that health care costs can be recovered.

Just to be clear, though, as a neuroscientist I do not think that using cannabis recreationally makes any sense. It is more risky than people acknowledge, and the fact that 'it's natural' doesn't reduce the risks. Besides, most cannabis crops now have been through fairly impressive selective breeding, so they're not natural any more.

22. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

If they are selling illegally then they should be subject to punishment.

Yes this just makes sense. Hard to make the places that sell it (legally) liable if someone goes out and does something stupid. For example stores here aren't held liable for selling beer even if someone uses that beer and causes a car crash. (yes there are cases where they can be held liable, but generally no)

It being taxed is the only way it will ever become fully legal.

Where would you put it on the scale of risk compared to alcohol?

23. MarkusL macrumors 6502

But if the voters don't get to use drugs, how can they vote for any of the major candidates?

24. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I'm against it. But puff away. Toast your brain. I think of you drink, smoke pot, or smoke cigarettes you should have to pay higher medical costs than those of us who take care of ourselves.

25. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Informally speaking, alcohol is much worse than cannabis. Alcohol damages the body in a major way because it is a toxin. Also, alcohol is addicting, and withdrawal symptoms can cause serious neurological imbalances that can even cause death (in people who quit drinking suddenly without any medical advice or help). Because of its wide availability and acceptance, alcohol causes far more deaths and disabilities than cannabis.

It is hard to say what would happen if cannabis use went up after legalisation - if more people become exposed, for longer, and with heavier doses, we might find some people are vulnerable, or clearer evidence about long term health damage of cannabis. But as it stands now, alcohol is far more dangerous.

That being said, anything that makes you vomit (alcohol) or cough (cannabis smoke) probably isn't good for you. Those reflexes are there for a reason (well, actually not, they're they because it was evolutionarily adaptive to have them).