Election results what time?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Frisco, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

Assuming the election is not contested what time do you think we'll know the winner of the election?

2. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

Usually late evening when most of the polls are closed. It will depend on how many close states there are.

3. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Well, we know there's gonna be a veritable avalanche of voters turning out, so it's probably gonna take longer than usual to count all the votes. Therefore it all comes down to whether either candidate wins by a landslide, or if it's a close race. If the polls hold, they're gonna call the race for Obama pretty early on. If they don't, it's gonna be a long night.

4. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Virginia polls close I think at 7 PM, and the results should be clear by 8-8:30 PM.

An hour-by-hour guide to election night.
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/167186

If McCain loses Virginia, we'll be hearing about it... LOUDLY. If McCain is competitive in Virginia, and pulls off a win, the race pushes out to later closing polls. McCain loses Virginia = Short Night. McCain wins Virginia = Longer Night.

~ CB

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Very late night EST we should have good idea of the winner...barring any problems or unforseen issues.

Watch VA, NC, FL, and IN early on to get an idea of where the votes are going, IMO.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Obama currently has a 6.1 (pollster.com) lead in Virginia... it would be a hell of a t urn around for McCain to win it.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Seriously, don't underestimate the democrats ability to screw this up. :eek:

8. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Barack has won a really good campaign so far. It would take something incredible for Obama to not win Virginia.

Eek.

9. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Agreed. I've been watching Virginia very closely and it doesn't seem to tilt back and forth as much as say Ohio.

Ohio and Missouri are the states to watch. If Obama takes either one it's as good as gold.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Whoever "wins" Florida. Won. So when its decided there, you can goto bed and pretty much be assured that like the last few elections, the rest of the country stays pretty much the same color as before.

The only question now is : "will a former red state turn blue?"

And since that only goes against the GOP, one would have to guess that Florida is the only real swinger round here. lol.

No other state has actually "swung" in either direction to make any damn difference...if the last 2 elections are any indications. Though, history has proved things dont always go like they should when all reason said the contrary.

::cough:: 2000 election ::cough::

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

I think this election will be more a matter of how much will Obama win by/ (praise Murphy).

I'm feeling good about a win, but can the Dems trounce the Republicans? That's what I'll be staying up for, looking for the 300-350 electoral votes Obama will need to legitimately claim a mandate.

On a related tangent, I read earlier that knocking the Reps flat will turn the party more towards the right and they will marginalize themselves even more. Could be interesting.

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Not quite. McCain can still win Florida, but as long as Barack wins PA he'll take it. McCain could win FL, MO, IN, OH, and NC, and he'll still lose as long as Barack takes PA, NV, CO, and NM.

What you should have said was, if Obama wins Florida, then it's all decided. If McCain wins Florida, it's still not over until the polls in the West are closed.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think the POTUS race will be called fairly early. What will be fascinating is to watch the down-ballot race results come in from various places. Will Shadegg win in AZ? Will McConnell stave off defeat? Will Reichert manage to hold off Burner in WA? How will Prop. 8 fare in CA? Will McCain win AZ? How many Senate seats will the Dems net? How many HoR seats?

I'm thinking it's going to be a long, long night for me. And that's ok...

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Nate Silver has a good article up on Newsweek on what to watch for and when. :)