Electrical Noise emitting from speakers when I launch any app that uses sound mainly!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hectrobeing, Aug 13, 2010.

1. hectrobeing macrumors newbie

hectrobeing

Hi guys

I just received my refurbished Macbook Pro 13 2010 standard config and it emits an electrical noise when I use my DVD player app, itunes and when I play music and video on youtube.

When I close the app or tab (in youtube case) the sound stops.

The sound is really annoying; is this common on Macbook Pro's or this a case of return it to Apple for a replacement?

Thanks for responses

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Is it almost like that sound a snowy tv channel makes but really quiet.

3. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

OS X turns off the speakers 30 seconds after their last use, that is why they stop emitting noise.

4. hectrobeing thread starter macrumors newbie

hectrobeing

yes exactly, I can hear it now while typing this now and playing music!

Do you have it too?

5. hectrobeing thread starter macrumors newbie

hectrobeing

So it is common and I have to live with it?

6. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

Well, some people state that this "issue" is hardware related due to the crappy sound cards Apple has been using for years.

I have to agree becasue I have the hissing static on my late 08 MPB (the first of the aluminum unibodies). I don't use external speakers, I just use headphones, but whether or not I hear the sound is dependent on the headphones I use.

Some common fixes: using higher impedance headphones (more ohms - aka higher quality), using an external volume controller (like this), or getting a good usb sound card.

From experience, I can say that I do not hear any hissing static using mid 2009 or later Apple earbuds (23 ohms??) or my really old pair of Maxell NB303s (32 ohms). However, I do hear the hissing static with my 35 and 16 ohms headphones.

Trying different speakers and headphones was my solution.

7. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

I don't know if this is of any relevance at all, but when I had my old 2008 MBP, whenever I plugged in something with USB, I would get a kind of high pitched noise from the left hand speaker where the USB was plugged in.

Not sure if this helps at all...