Electronics being banned from some African and Middle Eastern flights

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Mar 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Breaking news:

It seems that there is some new policy being put into place where anything other than a cellphone has to be checked. I'm not sure why or how that changes anything from a security perspective as I am fairly confident that things can be done with cell phones too, not just iPads.

I'd have a problem with this as I would want to read things on a tablet on a flight.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/20/14986452/royal-jordanian-airlines-electronics-ban-dhs-faa

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

On a flight to Amsterdam recently I was told that my laptop was suspicious because it was heavy and there were too many fans in it. I had to explain I was a Design Engineer and it's a high spec machine (£4000). The guy then managed to drop the bloody thing off the table and onto a hard floor! It only keeps a charge for about 30 minutes now and I had a brief experience of being treated like a terrorist.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Unfortunately the article doesn't make clear if it is an initiative by the airline company or if it's a demand by DHS.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

This seems like it is coming on behalf of the U.S. government:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/electronics-banned-us-bound-flights-46261625

5. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

It does, but then it seems weird that if it's some sort of a safety issue how it can wait until tomorrow and was considered for several weeks.

7. Zenithal macrumors 603

Medical devices? Hearing aids and insulin pumps?

Mobile workstation? Yes, those are heavy but also uncommon. Sorry to hear about your experience. Was it company issue?

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

A message? A deterrent? No idea. It is certainly an event to keep under our radar; thank you for bringing it to our attention.

9. joy.757 macrumors regular

Somewhat paranoid maybe, but this would make it possible them to bug/scan the devices without the owners being present.

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Hmmm, that's a very good point, and in today's world I don't think that is a paranoid thing at all. Though so much would be on a person's phone which they aren't touching.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.