Elena Kagan chosen by Obama for Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, May 10, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_obama_supreme_court

Why there is no thread for this I don't know. Apparently he wants a candidate who is not going to be liked by either fringe.

My view, curb stomp this nomination.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2009/1103/p02s18-usju.html

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If this is true, I absolutely think she should not get the job.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think that someone with no experience as a judge should be on the Supreme Court.

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

If what is true? Holy ***** crap. This is politics at its best. Taking an attorney's representation of a client and imparting the client's views on the attorney.

TO EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT LIKE HER BECAUSE OF HER CLIENTS VIEWS...

YOU ARE STUPID (edit) That was too harsh, I should have said that is stupid.

(edit) Oh, and to the people who question her about her experience... she practices before the supreme court regularly!!!!!!

It is harder to be the counsel than to be the judge!!!

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Im pretty sure lee made his statement with the prerequisite of it being true, I assume you are familiar with the process of appointment to supreme court, she will be asked questions in which she will have to answer. This may be one of them.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And you know this because you spent how long on the bench?

8. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    She's very liberal on most of views. I thought she was an excellent choice earlier when I read the news..

but I hadn't seen that comment about Federal prosecutors having immunity. Is she crazy? Immunity, what does that even mean in the modern era. Do they have a divine right? What nonsense.

She only has very brief litigation experience, so I'm not sure if this comment is coming as her professional opinion as an expert (Law Professor in a friend of the court capacity), or if she was actually litigating and simply putting forward a defence. If it was the latter, then I'd say that was fine. The former, then she can crawl back to Harvard and preach to her fellow yahs.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

She was specifically talking about immunity in civil court. As quoted in the article Kagan says...

"If the allegations here are true, [the Iowa officials] engaged in prosecutorial misconduct of an execrable sort, involving a complete breach of the public trust," Solicitor General Kagan writes in her brief to the court. "But absolute immunity reflects a policy judgment that such conduct is properly addressed not through civil liability, but through a host of other deterrents and punishments."

Now I'm not familiar with this issue enough to have an opinion on it. But it's clear that she's not talking about blanket immunity. I'd also like to remind people that there's a sizable population that thinks terrorists shouldn't be tried in civil court. So the notion of certain legal actions being taken out of the realm of civil court is nothing new.

I have little doubt that the Obama administration nominated her knowing about this published opinion and are prepared to defend it.

I do look forward to the debate.

10. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I know this because I'm friends with many judges who say so, and I've represented thousands and thousands of clients in front of judges.

And you question me based on what?

(edit) I'm expecting something btw. If you have nothing equivelent to experience as counsel or as a judge/hearings officer, your comments are of zero value, and you shall be forever judged.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You just made a blanket statement and I wondered how you came by that. Simple. Like I care if you judge me or not. :rolleyes:

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

My blanket covers anyone, including you, who has zero experience or knowledge on the issue.

(edit) I came by my statement as an attorney who has practiced before judges at the local, state and federal levels. How about you?

(edit 2) Unless you have practiced before judges on a reglular basis, and/or have any knowlege on these issues, then what are you offering to this discussion i nothing more than uninformed opinion. That's fnie, except, you might want to preface you opinions with your lack of knowledge and understanding.

13. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Same bull **** argument I heard from the right. Can't criticize the Iraq war unless you're in the military or have been in the military. Get off your high horse. :rolleyes:

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What she seems to be saying is that prosecutorial misconduct of this sort (knowingly soliciting false testimony) amounts to basically the same thing as perjury. As far as I know, civil court does not handle such things, this would be a criminal offense for which the defendants (prosecuting attorneys) should be held to account in criminal court.

Sadly, our criminal court system does not seek to compensate victims for their losses, only to punish people for violating the law. Perhaps a conviction in such a case would open the way for the victims to get some sort of compensation.

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What is my high horse? I'm not going to attack her based on the positions she takes on behalf of her clients. I'm not going to attack her based on her client's views. On the other hand, it is perfectly reasonable to look at her views on things.

So, seeing as the right does the EXACT opposite and attacks people based on their clients views and/or their affiliations with clients...

My horse it very low. Yours on the other hand is very tall.

16. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Experience as an actual judge is paramount. But to say that, I guess I would have to be an attorney who has practiced before judges at the local, state and federal levels, and would have to do so on a regular basis.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Reserving judgement on her appointment until I learn more about her.

http://supreme.lp.findlaw.com/supreme_court/justices/nopriorexp.html

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Many of the judges who decided brown v. board of education had no experiences as judges?

Was that a bad decision?

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Care to name these friends? How high are they in the judicial system?

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Very impressive. You reframed the issue such that for me to stand by my premise - that experience as a judge is paramount to being an effective supreme court justice - I must also be in favor of segregation. Nicely done.

You should be an attorney.

21. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Well Touché because you didn't answer my question, was brown v. board ruled badly?

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Apologies, but last time I checked, rhetorical questions are asked not to be answered, but to childishly avoid making a direct point. Rather than make a point supported by experience or evidence, one need only couch the - or "an" - opposite position as a rhetorical, narrow question and, thereby, avoid stating even a single substantive statement.

Again, apologies. Really.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I just read up a bit about her and I have to agree.

24. racer1441 macrumors 68000

So, the most local, bump on the log, municipal judge has more experience on the bench then this bird.

Yikes. And she looks youngish, so we could be stuck with her for many many years.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Read my post above. 40% of SC justices had no judicial experience before being appointed, most recently by, gasp, Republican presidents.