Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Elevation Lab, a company known for its range of popular docks and stands for Apple devices, today announced the launch of its latest iPhone dock, the CordDock.

The CordDock aims to combine the benefits of charging via a cord with the benefits of a dock, allowing the iPhone plugged into the cord dock to be picked up and used while charging if desired.

corddock.jpg

Elevation Lab designed the CordDock with the same grippy NanoPad micro air-suction used in the ElevationDock 4, so your iPhone can be picked up and detached from the dock one-handed while it's still plugged in. When picking up the iPhone to use it, there's no need to unplug the cord -- the CordDock makes it so you can continue to charge even if you need to send a message, read an email, or play a game.

To use the CordDock, which has a slim footprint with a braided Lightning cable and two adjustable wheels at the back, you simply need to rotate the iPhone forward to keep the cord plugged in. Two spring-loaded ball detents keep the cord in position during standard dock charging, and release the cord when force is applied to undock the iPhone. To undock entirely, pull up on the phone as you would with any dock.

elevationlabcorddock-800x534.jpg

The CordDock can fit iPhone cases up to 4mm thick, which Elevation Lab says should work with everything besides the thick OtterBox cases. This is not a wireless charging device, which is an option with the iPhone 8 and iPhone X, but is instead designed for customers who prefer to use wired charging but need more versatility than a dock can traditionally provide.

CordDock is available for purchase from the Elevation Lab website for $39 starting today.

Article Link: Elevation Lab Launches New Versatile 'CordDock' for iPhone With Detachable Cord

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Surprised that companies are still making charging perhipherals with cords even after we’ve now got Qi charging on all current iPhones.

Reactions: jimthing

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
So a piece of plastic that holds your phone. And it comes with a free lightning cable!

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I don't have a great need for another dock, but I could really use that right-angle Lightning cable for my iPad - bit of a pain to charge it if it's on the stand in portrait mode, and every right-angle Lightning cable on Amazon has terrible reviews; I expect Elevation Labs' cable is up to their usual great level of execution.

Surprised that companies are still making charging perhipherals with cords even after we’ve now got Qi charging on all current iPhones.
Surprised that some people don't understand that not everyone is using the very latest model of iPhone. After all, peripheral companies really should abandon everyone who hasn't thrown out their "old" iPhone (like, say, last year's model). Peripherals should only be for people who upgrade their phone Every. Single. Year.

rom3o

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2014
I may be blind but do they state somewhere what kind of cable is included? They say it charges the iPhone up to 3x faster than Qi but is it a USB C PD or a proprietary cable/charger solution?

So I see neither of you have actually watched the video to understand that this is a first of its kind.
Since they are most likely producing it in China there is a possibility that there will be cheaper counterfeits in the future.

But in my opinion $40 is reasonably priced if it includes a cable and a charger.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
Shame, like a lot of other small US accessories makers, they haven't sorted out their international distribution very well.

OWC stuff is another company whose products are a right pain for non-US buyers to get hold of, without importing them at stupendously higher cost.

Hence most just don't bother. :-|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.