HomeKit Elgato Eve Energy - disable on/off switch in homekit and eve app?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Canubis, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Canubis macrumors regular

Canubis

I've got my Mac Pro connected to an Elgato Eve Energy with the main goal to measure its power usage and cost over time and have a glance on it. It's really cool and informative.

However, it happend not just once that I accidentially killed my Mac by hitting the Eve Energy's button in homekit or the Eve app and therefore cutting the device's power. Maybe I am special kind of dumb, but I feel it would be really practical to just disable this on/off button for specfic devices, where this is not an essential or even critical feature in a negative way. Is there any known way to do this?

2. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Not as far as I know. I'm actually on the same boat as you (I have it on an iMac), but the best I could come up is to make it so that accidental touch is avoided as much as possible by positioning it away from the area I touch most.

3. Canubis thread starter macrumors regular

Canubis

Thanks, glad to hear I am not the only one with this situation. I feel it's a real flaw, since the monitoring features are a really great benefit but for some devices you just never want to accidentally cut the power. Tbh I even cannot think of too many situation where the on/off feature is really useful except for some stand alone lamps or the lights on the christmas tree. ;)

Maybe requesting this as a feature request at both Elgato and Apple will bring relieve in at least a future update. I'll give it a try.

4. johngordon macrumors 68000

It’s a good idea. I’ve just got one to see if our fridge and freezer could do with replacing, and thought the same - that an option to lock it in the on position somehow would be good.