Elgato EyeTV 410 + Iomega Hard Drive 160GB Promo

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2005
413
0
Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
im thinking of buying the Elgato EyeTV 410 + Iomega Hard Drive 160GB Promo from apple, has anyone got any views on this, its mainly vies on the eyetv 410 im looking for. Ive had a look at the other eyetv products, but they all seem pretty similar.
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
I've got the 410 and it's great. Really nice piece of kit. Fits nicely with my PM. The main difference with the other models is the type of input - the 310 is for satellite or cable (I think). The Wonder is USB and the 200 doesn't do MPEG-4. The 410 is for digital TV (Freeview)It also has a CAM slot so you can add Pay TV, although the only one that looks good is E4
 

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
2,976
2
Albuquerque, NM
Nickygoat said:
I've got the 410 and it's great. Really nice piece of kit. Fits nicely with my PM. The main difference with the other models is the type of input - the 310 is for satellite or cable (I think). The Wonder is USB and the 200 doesn't do MPEG-4. The 410 is for digital TV (Freeview)It also has a CAM slot so you can add Pay TV, although the only one that looks good is E4
Duff-Man says...the 200 *does* do MPEG-4: http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv200# ....oh yeah!
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
Duff-Man said:
Duff-Man says...the 200 *does* do MPEG-4: http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetv200# ....oh yeah!
Whoops - so it does. My bad :( The 410 does do h.264 though (there's no mention of that on the Apple Store page for the 200). The 200 only seems to have analogue input though - the 410 is digital. You'll need to check that you can get Freeview to make any use of it which you can do here.
 

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
2,529
0
Londinium
Nickygoat said:
The 410 is for digital TV (Freeview)It also has a CAM slot so you can add Pay TV, although the only one that looks good is E4
E4 moved to Freeview on may 27th, so top-up-tv is even less attractive! Still the CAM slot will be useful in the future I think as surely Sky based services will happen at some point a la ITV Digital.

The unit itself is absolutely fantastic and far superior to any PC tuner I've used - and its looks cooler :D
Simplicity itself to set up and use - I can't recommend it highly enough!
 

StokeLee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2005
413
0
Stoke-on-Trent. Midlands, UK
Looks Like thats settled, ill be buying that, now ive been on the eyetv website, and you can only buy it in the US, or on the apple website, which isnt a problem, but is there anywhere in the UK where i can get it from cheaper if possible? Im still finding out the best Mac sites, and of course the ones that dont rip you off.
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
Piarco75 said:
E4 moved to Freeview on may 27th, so top-up-tv is even less attractive!
Isn't that only while Big Brother is on? I thought it was going back to Pay TV when it finished. That's the impression I had from the ads. If not that's great - roll on Film Four :D
EDIT: Just looked at the E4 website - it now seems to be free. Cool. My g/f will be even happier :p
 

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
992
0
London
StokeLee said:
Looks Like thats settled, ill be buying that, now ive been on the eyetv website, and you can only buy it in the US, or on the apple website, which isnt a problem, but is there anywhere in the UK where i can get it from cheaper if possible? Im still finding out the best Mac sites, and of course the ones that dont rip you off.
I don't think there's anywhere cheaper than the Apple Store - I got mine in April, and hunted a fair bit for it but couldn't find it cheaper than £199 for the 410 alone so £269 looks pretty good for both.
 

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
2,529
0
Londinium
Ditto to Nickygoat - I looked around, but no-one seemed cheaper than the Apple Store. Unfortunately their stock isn't constant, so I paid and extra £16 to get it asap... me hates to wait for new toys ;)