Eligibility date moved back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by malibuboats91, Nov 1, 2011.

1. malibuboats91 macrumors regular

My eligibility date was November 21, 2011 up until today. It now is april 21, 2012. Nothing changed on the account either. I called AT&T and they said nothing changed and will not move my date back to November. Has anyone else ran int this or have suggestions?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.934856,-89.620390

2. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Call again and speak to someone else. Or ask to speak to a supervisor or manager.

3. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

I asked to speak with the retensions department and they didn't do anything about it either.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.934829,-89.620342

4. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

uggh, good luck!

my story...

couple days before pre order my date was 11/30. day before preorder date moved to 2/28. after multiple calls to at&t (account management, cancellations, retentions, and every other dept imaginable) i got explanations ranging from apple controls iphone eligibility, it was pushed back because of the iphone, to it being a glitch, to it never being 11/30, to it in fact being 11/30 and they don't know what happened, the calculation is so complex they can't explain it, etc etc etc. no one could change it was told it was "physically impossible"... tried for a $250 credit that people have reported getting and didn't come anywhere close to success.

enter corporate store...

wow! talking to a human does exist! while waiting i was chatting it up with the "greeter guy" and he said hmm 3 month change sounds like a billing problem. he had a guy bring up my account and apparently i paid a a bill 1 day late. he said i would in fact be able to upgrade in november and i could actually do it nov 1st. he put a note in my account.

so i wait... suspisciously as my date in the system is not changing, i wasn't sure if it was supposed to or not... i caved and called customer service again to see if i could get some reassurance and they told me the dates can't be changed and there is nothign that can be done.

finally today november came around and i went to the at&t store prepared for disappointment, knowing that they don't have any iphones anyway but i wanted to confirm that i could actually upgrade some how or if i need to head on over to verizon. after a while of searching the guy found the note in the system that said a manager approved the upgrade and i could order a phone through them. will take 2-4 weeks. so my date in the system still says 2/28 but they CAN apparently override this.

i asked him about a 250 credit so i could go buy one at apple since i really need a phone (i'm currently borrowing a phone so i kind of need my own!) and he said the corporate stores can't do credits but to try customer service and explain the situation. i did. waste of time. going back to corporate store after work to place order and hopefully i can borrow my current phone for a little longer *crosses fingers*

guess i'm not home free yet but i'm feeling pretty good about it. aside from having to wait for it to be delivered.

sorry for the novel. i got a little carried away.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

When did you sign your last contract? It's possible AT&T was showing you eligible for an "early" upgrade ($449 iPhone 4S), which is usually available after 16 months. However, for a full discount upgrade ($199) you usually need to be closer out. Perhaps that's what happened?

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Late payment? That can screw up your early eligibility, I've seen people say that it reverts back to 20 months if you even have 1 late payment.

Did you buy your phone in August 2010?

----------

I believe that's 6 months, not 16. Sorry for the tangent :)

7. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Then the April date sounds about right (early, even). My contract runs through June and I am supposedly eligible for a upgrade price in February, at month 20.

9. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Why do you want a $250 credit? What reason do you think you deserve this?

10. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

i was trying to figure out a way to get a phone now rather than in 3-4 weeks since i'm currently borrowing a phone... i can get a fully discounted upgrade if i order through at&t, but since they don't have phones in stock i was just curious if there was any way to buy one if i could find one in stock somewhere else at the early upgrade cost which is an additional 250 and get that credited back to me. would be the same cost in the end. i wasn't demanding it, just asking if it was an option. it ended up not being one and i ordered through at&t and now i wait. not sure what the big deal is.

edit:
    sorry, i didn't specify in my original post i was talking about buying one at the early upgrade price when i mentioned the 250 credit. i was also informed later that apple doesn't do early upgrades. i wasn't aware of that.

11. malibuboats91 thread starter macrumors regular

I called them again today. They basically said they do not know what changed it. It is dated as 11/21/2011 in their computer on a check they did October 8th. They said that my other line that bought a 4s had to to changed to a 4g data plan but thats the only change.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.934922,-89.620345

12. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

have you tried going to a corporate store? that's the only place i had any luck. have them check your account for a possible late payment or other reason it may have changed. i didn't think i ever paid late but it turns out i did pay one 1 day late somehow. a note was put on my account that a manager approved that i could upgrade nov 1st. so i went back nov 1st and they looked up the note and the manager just had to override it when i ordered (since my date still showed 2/28)