eliminating icons on the upper tool bar

diez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
anyone know how to eliminate pesky aol instant messenger icons that sit staring at you by the time and date settings??

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
if you are in OSX and you mean in the menu bar (white thing at top of screen) then you, whilst holding the command/apple key, drag them onto your desktop and they will disappear in a puff of smoke.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
i am afraid that i am not familiar with os9.1. I am not that real good with OS9.2.2 wither. All i can suggest is to try the same thing that i suggested for OSX in os9.1. Other than that you may have to uninstall AIM and use a 3rd party client.

Sorry

macstudent

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2002
Milwaukee, WI
in os 9 just go to your extensions icon in your system preferences. Next scroll down to startup extensions and uncheck the aol IM and yahoo IM extensions. This will eliminate them from starting up with your computer.

in os X just hold down the command key and drag the ichat bubble from the upper right portion of the menu bar and it will disappear when you drop it on the desktop.

I hope that helps.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Originally posted by benixau
i am afraid that i am not familiar with os9.1. I am not that real good with OS9.2.2 wither. All i can suggest is to try the same thing that i suggested for OSX in os9.1. Other than that you may have to uninstall AIM and use a 3rd party client.

Sorry
Look, OS 9 wasn't that bad that you would have to uninstall the whole software just to remove an icon from the menu bar... :rolleyes:

diez: time to get OS X!

irmongoose

diez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
went through with the extensions, unchecked them all restarted and it still appears. Aol must know I really hate them,

Phipple

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2002
Canada
Open Sherlock and do a hard-drive search for AOL, then drag each icon in the list to the trash and empty it. Then restart and write AOL a nasty letter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.