Elite Designers Against IKEA

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
intersting, but i happen to think some (note: some, not by any means all) of the stuff in ikea is fabulous, especially at the price. I'm not rich, i con't afford to waste money on the name of a designer.

i bought a solid wood step stool, which looks good, as far as step stools go, and it cost me $10, it came flat-packed, and my kitten absolutely loved the cardboard box, she played with that thing for months, best toy ever. i was chuffed at how cheap it was anyway, but the added bonus of the "toy box", well...

Ikea does make some good ****, but yeah, they make some dross to. same as anyone really, i can't think of one designer that i think is great across the board. even some of my favourites like mies.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Is this for real?!?!

am Van Den Puup, elite designer. I was put on earth for a reason: to allow
the human soul to touch and be touched by miraculously beautiful furniture.

As you will undoubtedly have seen from my justifiably high profile
publicity, my crusade against the big stupid blue place, IKEA, gathers in
strength and momentum!
Below a picture of Van Den Puup....

Attachments

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
evoluzione said:
intersting, but i happen to think some (note: some, not by any means all) of the stuff in ikea is fabulous, especially at the price. I'm not rich, i con't afford to waste money on the name of a designer.
IKEA's the bomb. :)

You'd actually be surprised by how many name designers actually do their thang under the IKEA banner ;)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
How did you know that it was funded by Ikea before there was any proof? Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if there actually was a group who didn't like Ikea. Their stuff is bland, but perceived as exciting at the same time. Kinda hard to describe. But people sure buy it thinking the design is so great, so I guess that's all that matters.

And some of their stuff IS nice, and even when I don't think it's nice, I still used to buy some of their stuff because it's cheap as chips.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Abstract said:
How did you know that it was funded by Ikea before there was any proof?.
it's been doing the rounds for the last month, and is kind of an extension (atleast in the UK) to the campaigns they've been running all year.

thing is, I actually know designers with a similar attitude with regards to IKEA. they have an immeasurably elitist view of design and its importance and role within society. :rolleyes:

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Amusing: IKEA takes a fun poke at design purists who think IKEA is all crap and no substance.

More Amusing: People who think this is anything other than some smart advertising for and by IKEA.

IKEA makes decent enough build-it-yourself furniture, but you have to re-tighten some screws once in a while, and relocate it at your own risk. I've had several IKEA pieces in my home over the years. My current workstation is IKEA (I think it is called Wicke?), and it fits well with my iMac G4, printers, and various other accoutrements.

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
Wasn't it a (probably spoof) IKEA ad with the middle aged couple running around the house - him naked except for a pig mask, and her dressed up as a farmers wife. She had just cornered him - after much squealing - when their daughter walked in with her boyfriend. The punch line was "Time to move out..."

And there was another one with a little boy playing with cars and planes and a shiny chrome device that looked like a rocket, until he managed to switch it on and it started vibrating. I think this was advertising IKEA storage boxes.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
MemphisSoulStew said:
Wasn't it a (probably spoof) IKEA ad with the middle aged couple running around the house - him naked except for a pig mask, and her dressed up as a farmers wife. She had just cornered him - after much squealing - when their daughter walked in with her boyfriend. The punch line was "Time to move out..."

And there was another one with a little boy playing with cars and planes and a shiny chrome device that looked like a rocket, until he managed to switch it on and it started vibrating. I think this was advertising IKEA storage boxes.
You have a link to that - damn funny and a whole lot better than anything we get here in the US.

The whole Van Den Puup spoof would appeal to a large range of consumers here as well, I'd imagine. Don't know why IKEA thinks the US is so tight.... :confused:

D

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
Abstract said:
How did you know that it was funded by Ikea before there was any proof?
Because the videos were too well done for some schlumpf to have made in his spare time. That and the fact that they were blatantly pushing Ikea products.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mr. Anderson said:
You have a link to that - damn funny and a whole lot better than anything we get here in the US.

The whole Van Den Puup spoof would appeal to a large range of consumers here as well, I'd imagine. Don't know why IKEA thinks the US is so tight.... :confused:

D
Could be that their Gay friendly ad was criticized by some a few years ago. And the ads recently that took a subway car and transformed it into a room went over the heads of many consumers.

I agree that this one might just lay well here in the states. Might rank up there with "Where's the beef?" ads from Wendy's.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
teabgs said:
commercials are so much better in Europe! that pig one is F-in great!
That last bit though, where the dad takes the picture to cover up....and its a glamor shot of the daughter?!?!?! Priceless :D

Quite nice attention to detail and going the little extra bit to make it even more over the top. You don't see that too often in commercials.

D