Elizabeth Dole Negative Ad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 29, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

2. Queso macrumors G4

Another example of just how messed up US politics are with regards to church and state. Why should it matter what someone's religion is, or even if they don't have a religion? It has absolutely no relation to a candidate's capability to perform the job.

This particular ad is just desperate, but the Bible waving that happens over there during every election campaign is utterly ridiculous.

3. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

This Dole woman, is she a pig farmer? "Ah aem Uh-lizabuth Dowl, aen' ah uh-pruuv thus missuge." That right there would be incentive enough for me to vote for her opponent.

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I couldn't agree more. Good old USA Bible Belt. :rolleyes:

How the eff does she run the ad when, the Democratic candidate is a Sunday School teacher and an elder at her Presbyterian church?

She might as well be given all the slop her husband festered on this country.

5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

It may be appropriate to criticize her views but come on, don't rip on the southern accent. Plain wrong.

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I'm not an American, I can't pin your accents to a map. All I know is that she sounds like Forrest Gump. So does Bill Clinton, but I kinda overlook it due to his intelligence and eloquence. But Elizabeth Dole sounds stupid, looks stupid and judging by this ad probably is incredibly stupid too.

7. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I'm really hoping the Dole loses her Senate seat this year, that and a Franken win would be just perfect.

8. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

And lets not forget Jimmy Carter, James Carville, Lyndon Johnson and T. Boone Pickens. An accent doesn't necessarily include stupidity.

As Forrest Gump said:
    "Stupid is as stupid does."

NC being a "battleground state" brings out the southern accent in everybody these days. Obama today, Palin last week, Hilary in the primary. People stoop to the accent when they wants the votes.

9. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

True. When I was a salesmen, I would always take on the accent characteristic of the person I was talking to. I do a great Southern and Midwest accents. :D

10. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

How can someone who claims to be a Christian make such false accusations on a fellow Christian?

That's what pisses me off about these campaigns. These guys are doing whatever it takes to win, regardless of the means, and how wrong they are. Forget how they are wrong about so many issues and how many of them are just hypocrites.

:mad:

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I wonder if there's a recurring north-south pattern for accents?

Here in Sweden we have a slow, Forrest Gump-ish drawl in the south. Slightly above the south is "gnällbältet" (the whine belt) where people sound like they're constipated and trying to squeeze out a big one. Above the whine belt is Stockholm, with a posh and aloof accent. Then there's the northern accent, which is stupid sounding (like the south), but faster and quippier, in an "clueless positive thinker" kind of way, kinda like Palin, or Frances McDormand in Fargo.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oh my god.

I caught the tail end of that ad on TV this morning while getting ready for work. Thankfully I had TiVo so I could rewind it and hear it in all it's insane glory.

She actually endorsed that ad. I couldn't believe it.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Yuck. I had to take hot shower to get the stink off me after watching that.

14. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Dole is hardly the first to entirely miss the point of Christianity.

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The only female politician I would like to go down in flames, more than Dole, is Kay Bailey Hutchinson. For just flat-out mean, that piece of sheep dip is in a league of her own.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

She definitely needs to go. That is one of the worst things I've seen yet.

17. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Whoa....

Did Mccain's campaign give her advice or what?

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Somewhat, but there's also east/west in the US.
    I can see it now, Palin insinuating that Obama is actually an atheist.

"His minister is racist and anti-American, so he must be too!"
    "Okay, now he's a Muslim and a terrorist!"
    Fine that didn't work, this'll get them...
    "He's an atheist!!!11five"

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

NBC 17 News had a story this morning (possibly aired last night) where they talked to Dole & Hagen about the ad. Dole defended it, (as far as I am concerned) virtually calling it "cromulent". ;)

I wonder how much these two have spent on advertising this election?

http://news.mync.com/site/news/story/12381/hagan-responds-in-new-ad-i-believe-in-god/

Still, NC is a red state. Everything here is gonna be really close here.

I will say though (I voted last Saturday), even though I am a registered Dem (and always have been), I did vote for 4 Republicans and 1 Libertarian. I'm rather proud of myself for being more objective and (hopefully) informed this time around.

Shockingly, 'Libby' Dole was not one of the folks that earned my vote.

20. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I wouldn't mind seeing Michele Bachmann, Sarah Palin and Nancy Pfotenhauer burning on the same fire. And throw in Elizabeth Hasselbeck and Ann Coulter while you're at it. We would be so much better off if we rid the planet of Al Qaeda, the Taliban and far right Republicans. Different cultures, same evil.

21. emw macrumors G4

emw

I certainly have no idea what you're talking about. Us midwesterners have no accents. You eastern folks, on the other hand, well, you're just about incomprehensible at times. ;)

I'm heading off to vote here in about an hour and I've done a significant amount of research and plan on voting for a number of Democrats, Republicans, and even a couple of Green Party candidates. It's not the party, it's the policy.

22. yrsonicdeath macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I don't get about accusations about Obama.

23. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

The people that claim to be Christians making false accusations against opponents are NOT CHRISTIANS.

Yes I'm yelling. It's the only way to get the message out.

They are not Christians. Period.

They are liars and the truth is not in them.