Elizabeth Edwards endorsed Hillary's American Health Choices Plan

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Apr 8, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

3. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

well it's something. and this could mean an edwards edorsement could come at a hillary rally after all this stuff about patraeus and china dies down.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Could a moderator please edit this thread title? It is extremely false and misleading.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Via Digg: Edwards Can't Endorse Clinton

"Will she be the person that is going to bring about change in this country? I believe in Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy but I really don't think that is going to happen. I really don't. I think that if people want the status quo, Senator Clinton is your candidate." -- John Edwards

yt link

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Wow, are you that desperate?:rolleyes:

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Like an Edwards endorsement would mean anything this late?

SHE WILL NOT WIN.

And don't respond with some crap about "oh, this is what she wants you to think, these clintons, they aren't quitters!". No, really, it's over.

8. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

i think if she wins PA even by 1% the supers will overturn an obama win.
    because she can make the case that she can win bigger states.
    and not to mention, she's not mathematically eliminated until somebody has 2025 delegates.

9. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Awesome, let's alienate the voters! That'll carry over into the election real well.

10. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

i've decided i'm ok with supers overturning it.

11. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Lol, I think a few more people than just you need to be OK with that.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

delusion |diˈloō zh ən|
    noun
    an idiosyncratic belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality or rational argument, typically a symptom of mental disorder : the delusion of being watched.
    • the action of deluding someone or the state of being deluded : what a capacity television has for delusion.

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You really don't see a problem with anything as long as Hillary wins the election, do you?:eek:

14. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

look i understand hillary has a .1 % chance of making this happen but .1 is not 0.
    1. its ok to change the rules at the end of election because the rules CLEARLY state that the rules can be changed at any time during the election in the case of FL/MI.
    if you're going to say the rules disqualify them, then you also have to say the rules can re-qualify them. those are the rules!

if you include MI/FL hillary is clearly winning in popular vote. now i know what you are going to say "those dont count. they broke the rules." but the rules also state that supers can overturn everyone else. again those are the rules!
    if you say "screw the rules, let's be democratic here" then hillary is winning in popular vote including MI and FL

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Good for you. It's a change from the other thread where you were arguing the voters are the most important thing ever, but I'm not surprised. Sadly (for you and her), the rest of us don't feel that way, and I'm thinking the supers know that. Even if she does blow out the states that are left, and that's looking less and less likely, if they overwhelming choose her and that's how she wins, look forward to a McCain Pres.

As for the topic at hand, Edwards has made it clear he won't endorse either of them until a nom is chosen, neither of them like Hillary, and just because they prefer her plan, doesn't mean they don't also like some of Obamas. Just as they dislike some of each of their plans. RTFA. Beisdes, this was actually meant to be a criticism of McCain's plan, and what is lacking of Obamas (over Edwards'), and is actually old news:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/02/elizabeth-edwards-favors_n_94654.html
    http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/politics/la-na-health30mar30,1,1061539.story

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Look, I'm not going to argue with you unless you pay for another five minutes. ;)

The Obama campaign has declined MI/FL but is willing to consider MILFs.

17. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

According to what math?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2008_Democratic_Party_presidential_primaries

Obama's +532,536 including Florida.

Clinton received 328,309 votes in the Michigan primary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_Democratic_primary,_2008

Even if you count those, Obama's more than 200,000 votes ahead. If you count the 238,168 "uncommitted" votes as votes for Obama (which is the only plausible way to allow counting Clinton's Michigan votes), then Obama remains about 430,000 votes ahead.

Also, it's worth pointing out that Obama's over 827,000 votes ahead in primaries that counted.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Well, you can take the Clinton route of claiming states that Obama won are irrelevant and don't matter, and that leaves Obama with 0 votes :rolleyes:

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hes not even looking at the election, just the nomination for Dems.

1. i'll ask again for a link to the rules, as i asked in another thread. i'd like to see where they say that they can be changed "at any time during the election"

2. MI and FL look like they won't count, which is fine, since they violated party rules. its their legislature's fault, not the party's.

also, the popular vote ≠ delegate vote or super delegate votes.
    yes the supers can pretty much nominate Hillary, but it would be detrimental at this point to go against the person who is also in the lead in terms of delegates.

20. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Double check my numbers but here is a spreadsheet shot with all of the results as reported by CNN. The shot has the most favorable result for Clinton by using the Washinton Caucus (she lost by fewer votes than in the non-binding WA primaries, which if we're going to count votes in primaries that don't mean anything for FL and MI, we should use the WA primary numbers as well). It also includes the MI vote giving none to Obama, and the FL vote as is.

With all of that Obama is 50,000 votes ahead, counting the WA primaries and giving him the MI uncommitted vote would put him up by over 300,000.

He's also won 27 states to Clinton's 16 states, to assume that Obama won't be able to win CA and NY is a complete fabrication, and if you piss off all the small states by overruling them, what makes you think Clinton will be able to win them over in time for the general election? You can't win on big states alone especially if the GOP manages to snag 1 or 2 the small states will be a big factor.

Attached Files:

21. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Folks, I think we have a winner. :D

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, I thought you were about to cry because you were so upset about disenfranchising the voters of two states.

Yet you now propose to disenfranchise ALL voters?

Flip, meet flop. :rolleyes:

23. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

those particular rules can be changed in terms of MI and FL. if the democratic party decides to just seat them anyway, or hold new elections, they can do that. and they can do that at anytime. i think there's a cutoff date in july though.

no i'm saying that hillary is winning in popular vote (including EVERYONE), so if the rules that disqualify those two states overturn it to obama, then i'd be fine with supers overturning it right back.

we have supers for a reason, ya know.

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2 things:

One, either post a link to these rules, or stop talking about them. I haven't heard of these rules, no one else here has heard of these rules, so as far as I know, these rules don't exist.

Two, Obama is still ahead in popular vote with Michigan and Florida. If he remains in the lead, and the supers give the nomination, it will be voter disenfranchisement, plain and simple. And since all you've complained about is MI and FL disenfranchising voters, I don't see how you can support the supers voting for Hillary.