Elizabeth Warren Announces She Is Running for President

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
No surprise here...

In an 8:30 a.m. email to supporters on New Year’s Eve — 13 months before the first votes will be cast in the Iowa caucuses — Ms. Warren said she was forming a exploratory committee, which allows her to raise money and fill key staff positions before a formal kickoff of her presidential bid. Ms. Warren also released a video that leaned on the populist, anti-Wall Street themes that are sure to be central to her campaign message.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/31/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-2020-president-announcement.html#click=https://t.co/wpGcArhjMs

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
No surprise really.

Anyone think she has a chance of even getting the nomination?
She's never had any common sense.

I suppose it's okay to raise money and compose an exploratory committee, with a view toward influence the Democratic Party national platform.

But Ms Warren herself, I regret to say, is not first ranks material, and she should know that she will have to move aside at some point.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I’m not sure she’s the best candidate - as she wildly underperformed her states partisan lean. But this is hardly a surprise.
Oh, she's absolutely not the best candidate, and I hope that she knows that.

I would hope that she's starting early in order to be able to influence the party platform, and she knows she won't be the candidate.

That's what I hope, anyway.

However, I also have to admit that the lady shows occasionally an extraordinary lack of common sense, so who knows.

:p

Reactions: Eraserhead

RichardMZhlubb

Contributor
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I’m not supporting her for the nomination, in large part because Trump would turn the general election into a 24/7 debate about the complete irrelevancy of her Native American heritage. But, I’ll certainly support her if she wins the nomination and I think she will be helpful in discussing the debate on progressive issues.

Reactions: samcraig

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
She’s probably the strongest character to stand up to Trump in the next 18 months as she’s good for a sound bite. That she’s female also exposes the aspect of Trump, a white male from privilege, always bearing down with the underprivileged, discriminated, or underrepresented tones of attack.

In other words,to show Trump is a scumbag to all except white, rich males.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I’m not supporting her for the nomination, in large part because Trump would turn the general election into a 24/7 debate about the complete irrelevancy of her Native American heritage. But, I’ll certainly support her if she wins the nomination and I think she will be helpful in discussing the debate on progressive issues.
It's such a shame that this issue should come to haunt her so much, but like Hillary's emails, it's become a thing that steals focus from discussion of substantive issues.

But Trump and the Republicans will try to do this to any Democratic candidate -- find some minor issue and harp on it until it overshadows anything else. So all Dems contemplating a presidential run need to be thinking strategies to counter this.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
Trump would turn the general election into a 24/7 debate about the complete irrelevancy of her Native American heritage
No matter who runs for the Dems, Trump will ALWAYS try to spin the debate to something completely irrelevant.

Might be how the candidate voted for some tax hike decades ago, or that some migrant did something somewhere that could be somehow traced back to him/her.

The real test won't be whom the Dems run, but wether they manage to make to campaign about stuff that really matters for ordinary citizens.

As for her chances, look back to 2014/15 and ask yourself what chances you did give Mr Trump......

Herdfan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2011
or that some migrant illegal immigrant did something somewhere that could be somehow traced back to him/her.

The real test won't be whom the Dems run, but wether they manage to make to campaign about stuff that really matters for ordinary citizens.
Note: I edited quote for effect.

Actually people do care what illegals are doing. It is the elephant in the room that not a single elected Dem wants to talk about but the people do care.

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
No matter who runs for the Dems, Trump will ALWAYS try to spin the debate to something completely irrelevant.

Might be how the candidate voted for some tax hike decades ago, or that some migrant did something somewhere that could be somehow traced back to him/her.

As for her chances, look back to 2014/15 and ask yourself what chances you did give Mr Trump......
gave him a landslide win ;)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
sure looks like a landslide win EC wise

This has been explained to you over and over. Huge loss on the popular vote. MARGINAL wins on state levels that won him the EC.

When you say he had a landslide win - it's only factual if you ignore everything else that illustrates that the majority of the US didn't want and doesn't want him President. But keep peddling this idea that he won by so much. Especially odd since you keep insisting you're not a fan...

PS - LANDSLIDE wins: https://www.thoughtco.com/landslide-presidential-elections-by-electoral-votes-3367489